Overclock.net banner

Mixing Sizes On Purpose

363 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Asmodian 
#1 ·
So I was wondering if this might help or hurt...I was designing a loop in my head and i wondered if using acrylic 12x8 from the pump to the water block and then widening to 16x12 from block to rad back to pump would create an rise in pressure hitting the first block with greater flow pressure? in my head it seems like it would work quiet well. Has anyone tested this?

Please no "Thats dumb" "Looks Ugly" or especially "thats not how its done"

#2 ·
the block is gonna create the pressure it needs regardless pretty sure.

otherwise, size of tube isn't gonna change much of anything as far as i've always read it.

#3 ·
In theory it would hurt compared to just running 16x12 to/from the block, since 12x8 will restrict flow more. In reality, probably zero difference.

More restriction (pressure) = less flow.

Any sort of "pressure" required by the water block will be part of the blocks design (like a jet plate). Adding additional restriction anywhere in the loop will only hurt performance.

#4 ·
Think of it this way: If you change your tubing diameter, does it change the hole it has to flow through in a block? Im pretty sure its using the same exact hole either way. G1/4 right?

And the main thing with cooling is the jet plate into fins and heat leaving the radiator, not routing the water through tubes. If its not overly restrictive in its design and gets the same quantity of water to where it has to go, it doesnt matter if its 3mm or 800mm tubing diameter.

#5 ·
^This entirely, well said. The G1/4 standard really limits the full benefit from using 16mm tubing (Which I use), it's sole reason for being in most peoples case is aesthetics. The only way to see a real difference in using larger tubing would be to have manufacturers create blocks/rads with 1/2" threads/Rotaries/Extenders etc....

#6 ·
Speed v.s. flow only requires a pinch down, anything more is counter production.

A rocket nozzle is a good example, that application wants the linear velocity as fast as possible relative to the flow rate and they use a minimal length pinch too. A jet plate is the right way to get this effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.