pump power regulator - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

pump power regulator

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
pump power regulator

Hello everybody I have a doubt regarding how to regulate the power of my pump. the pump I own is a 12V LAING DDC-1 PLUS ULTRA PUMP (18W)

The pump is powered by a molex connector and has a blue wire 3 pin connector to read the pump rpm

at the moment it is connected to the CPU OPT connector on the motherboard and powered through the molex, the thing is is way too powered for my mini itx system (CPU-GPU loop with 3 radiators 280x240x120). To lower down the flow I purchased this

I tried then to connect the molex to this 3pin adaptor and power the pump using my fan hub (all the fans are syncronized with the cpu temp and unaudible), I thought that by doing so the pump would start following the same rules applied for the other fans but it didn't work out. I changed also in the bios the OPT CPU from full speed to silent thinging the blu wire could affect the pump speed overall, but nothing

do you actually know how this poweradjuster work? How should I connect it and configure?

Last edited by xNAPx; 07-01-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 08:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
The Blue wire on the 3 pin connector is for RPM monitoring only.

Your pump is not PWM capable so you cannot adjust pump speed by PWM with a fan header on the motherboard or fan hub.

The only way to reduce pump speed would be to give it less voltage on the 4 pin power.

The adapter you show above should work but your pump draws 18 watts so I suspect your fan hub you connected it to cannot handle that much draw off of a single fan header.

Most newer motherboards will have a "pump" fan header on them that has a higher power capacity than the other fan headers on the board. See if your motherboard has a pump fan header and what its' power limit is.

Or you can buy a new pump that is PWM to start with.

Last edited by jonkrmr; 07-01-2020 at 08:05 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 04:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 56)
Some motherboards will allow you to under volt fan headers from inside the bios. Take a look at your motherboard manual. Look for DC control of fan header. You would have to power the pump from a fan header. If you do this be careful, make sure you do not pull more amps on pump start up than header can handle.

My System
ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q Owner's club
Asus Maximus XI Formula, 8700K, Corsair Dominator Platinum ROC 3200 16GbB, Asus ROC STRIX 1080 Ti OC version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 05:37 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020

Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
^^

can confirm, the only way would be to send less voltage to the pump.

you would need the 4 wire model otherwise. s

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thank you so much for your answers.

I do have a pump fan header on my motherboard, so my mistake has been to connect the adaptor to the fan hub instead of connecting it directly to the pump header on the mobo. By doing so I should be able with that molex to 3 pin adaptor to control the pump power using DC control instead of PWM right?

My motherboard is this one
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390...TXac/index.asp
as you can see it has a pump fan header with DC control, if I connect the pump with that adaptor to this header I should be able to regulate the pump flow through DC, correct?

Last edited by xNAPx; 07-02-2020 at 02:38 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 02:48 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020

correct, using that adapter, (molex to molex, 3 pin to board, 1 pin to pump I think) you should be able to slow the pump by sending it less than 12v from the header, after switching the bios off of PWM.

not 100% if the bios will have the right toggles (might help to update to the newest bios) so set & test. rinse repeat. Do you have a DMM?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
correct, using that adapter, (molex to molex, 3 pin to board, 1 pin to pump I think) you should be able to slow the pump by sending it less than 12v from the header, after switching the bios off of PWM.

not 100% if the bios will have the right toggles (might help to update to the newest bios) so set & test. rinse repeat. Do you have a DMM?
sorry what do you mean for rinse repeat? and what is a DMM?

I didn't know I needed the 1 pin to go to the pump, where exactly?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 08:01 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020

this is a guess, but my assumption is the "correct" way to connect that adapter you have is via connecting the two molex together (right, they mate?) then connecting the 3 pin header to the motherboard, then connecting the pump's 1 pin female plug to the adapter's 1 pin male plug.

if that'll actually make it work how you want? I have no clue, but that's how that adapter is supposed to work I think.

dmm - digital multi meter = voltage reader thing.

rinse repeat = i'm not sure which exact term your bios will use, so you may need to cycle thru the settings to figure out which one drops voltage below 12v, that isn't pulse width modulated.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 09:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 143 (Unique: 101)
That's a 18 watt DDC pump. If you had a 10-12 watt version and had a water pump header that can do 3 amps, you could use a 3 pin connector and run it directly off the mobo fan header, but with a 18 watt pump, you cannot use the power off any of the fan headers directly. That mobo only has 1 & 2 amp fan headers. You're best bet is to get a PWM DDC pump and use the 4 pin connector on the CPU or CPU/Water Pump header with the 4 pin molex for 12v power, as there won't be any high draw from the fan headers like that 18 watt has to run the pump. Keep in mind, pumps draw 2-3 times the power on start up, so a 18 watt pump on a 24 watt header is already too much. You would need a resistor to reduce the power to the 12v molex to slow the pump RPM. DC voltage control with pumps requires older circuit control which you don't find much of in PC parts. I run a 10 watt DDC pump with a 3 pin fan/pump header and control it within the bios, but a 18 watt is too much. You may get away with a 10 watt DDC pump direct wired, IF you can find one.

Asrock Manual:

"The CPU Fan Connector supports the CPU fan of maximum
1A (12W) fan power.
• 1 x CPU/Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan
Speed Control)
* The CPU/Water Pump Fan supports the water cooler fan of
maximum 2A (24W) fan power.
* CPU_OPT/W_PUMP can auto detect if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is
in use."

CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
GPU
EVGA RTX2080 Gaming XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill Trident 3200
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 950
Power Supply
Corsair AX-1200
Case
CaseLabs M8
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
i7 9700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
GPU
Nvidia GTX1080Ti
RAM
G.Skill SNIPER 12GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
RAM
G.Skill RGB DDR4-3200
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX SSD
Optical Drive
LG WH10LS30 BD burner
Optical Drive
TSH663B DVD burner
Power Supply
Seasonic SSR-750PD Flagship Prime Series 750W Platinum
Cooling
EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel
Cooling
XSPC RX360 radiator
Cooling
EK WB D-BAYD5 PWM reservoir
Case
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Acer GD235HZbid
Keyboard
Ducky Mechanical
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070 FE
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series PC4 24000
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Power Supply
Rosewill Quark Series 750W Full Modular Gaming Power Supply with LED Indicator
Cooling
EK-FB GA Z270/Z370 GAMING Monoblock - Nickel
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well honestly I solved by plugging the blue wire 3 1 pin to the 1 pin (so I'm still able to read the rpm of the pump) and I plugged the molex to tge 3 pin adaptor and plugged it to the water pump header on my motherboard, than by bios I selected DC and custom and adjusted the power manually (there are profiles too) to 60 for each of the 4 cpu temperature stages now the rpm are 2400 instead of the full 4400 and the pump is super silent (very very little buzz). I assume the water pump header works without issues given the 24watt of power it can handle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in