Overclock.net banner

Newbie Cooling questions

769 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Annihilannic 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been pretty new to the custom cooling game even though i've been building my Pc's since 80286 sx25 :)

So long story short, i've decided to get a new rig for custom cooling, Ordered 10900k and Asus Maximus xii formula and Thermaltake Core P3..As i dove in to the massive pool of custom cooling parts, I've realized that i would need 2 of 360 radiators since i'm planning on grabbing the new 3090 or whatever Nvidia names the new card. So now the first questions is, do i go back to the drawing board on the case or is mounting 2 360s on P3 viable?
If not, what would be the ideal case for mounting 2 of these bad boys? Also i was looking at a MB cooler that EK made for Maximus formula but so far the general consensus seems to be "avoid EK". Is there a better CPU+MB block combo for these? I guess i'll have a million more questions so thanks for all the patience :)

#2 ·
Personally I’ve used EK waterblocks for yrs and have only had one issue. This was the original plating issues they had yrs ago. I’ve had 4 or 5 nickel block since with out any issues. If I was in the market for another block I would seriously consider Optimus water cooling blocks.

Are you referring to EKs CPU block that also doubles as a bridge to the VRM integrated cooler?

I would drop the P3 case, what size case are you looking at getting. There is way to many case choices to recommend just one, to many variables. Start looking at dedicated water cooling cases. Post back what you like and people will give you their experiences. If I ever replace my caselabs mercury S8, I would look at some thing in the Lian Li lines.

#3 ·
Hi,
Bottom line z490 doesn't need a water block on vrm's so it's just overkill
Apex and save 100.us or hero and save a hair more.

2-360mm is a tough one if that is all you can fit do so but be ready to add a watercool mora 360 or 420 or just skip right to the 420 and forget the 2-360mm rads :)

#7 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys!

So I'm dropping the C3 for Lian Li Pc-011 Wgx , dropping the Formula for Apex...
As far as the cooling , looks like im either going with Heatkiller IV or Optimus Foundation, 2xHWL GTS or maybe check out 420..Got Primochill and Mayhems for tubing and fittings..

#8 ·
The P3 is a really nice case but limited to a single 420 rad (Giggity) max. I've seen some interesting DIY solutions for adding multiple rads to the P3, but none that I felt looked just right for my liking. Can't go wrong with Lian Li.

#9 ·
Sounds like you are heading in a good direction. The 011 cases don't support 420mm rads, so you should stick to 360mm. You can fit 3 radiators though.

#12 ·
I've been pretty new to the custom cooling game even though i've been building my Pc's since 80286 sx25 :)
Actually the SX-25 was a 386. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.