custom fittings (for inserting a temp probe) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

custom fittings (for inserting a temp probe)

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Been around...

Rep: 20 (Unique: 17)
custom fittings (for inserting a temp probe)

I'm trying to figure out a way to insert a DS18B20 dallas temperature probe in my loop. The probe is a 6mm diameter stainless steel tube that's about 50mm long, but I probably only need to insert the first 30mm of it. Here's a picture of what one of these probes looks like: https://www.adafruit.com/product/381

My first thought was to take one of the plastic G1/4 plugs I have laying around and drill a hole into it, shove the probe through that, and somehow seal it.

As an alternative, I could put it through any G1/4 fitting and try to figure out how to seal that.

(Whatever I do, I need it to be watertight and compatible with a copper radiator.)

Does anyone have any suggestions? What would a good sealant be?

Thanks
Gary

CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
NVidia RTX 2070 Super Founders Edition
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3600 CL16 (Hynix DJR @ 16-16-19-21)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime TX-750
Cooling
EKWB Velocity CPU Water Block
Cooling
HWLabs 360GTS Radiator
Cooling
EK-XTOP with D5 Pump
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS tube Res
Case
Thermaltake Core X5
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Asus PB328Q 32" WQHD
Monitor
Asus 25" 16:10 (forgot the model number)
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5
Mouse
Logitech G900
Mousepad
Corsair MM300
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 08:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 47)
Not sure why you need this precise temp readings compared to a Calitemp sensor. If stuck on using this temp sensor I'd suggest inserting it from the top of the reservoir.

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Been around...

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
Not sure why you need this precise temp readings compared to a Calitemp sensor. If stuck on using this temp sensor I'd suggest inserting it from the top of the reservoir.
I'm not using aquacomputers aquaero, and I have no idea what kind of temperature sensor is inside that calitemp. (Do you know? 4 wires... I2C bus based?)

While I can insert it from the top my res, I'd want to seal it so it doesn't leak water all over the place when I top my computer on it's side.

CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime TX-750
Cooling
Cooling
HWLabs 360GTS Radiator
Cooling
EK-XTOP with D5 Pump
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS tube Res
Case
Thermaltake Core X5
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Asus PB328Q 32" WQHD
Monitor
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5
Mouse
Logitech G900
Mousepad
Corsair MM300
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 09:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 47)
Well if you don't care for looks then really any plumbers silicone sealant would do the trick.

As for the Calitemp I have no idea what it used, though I still believe it measures the temp of the fitting and not the actual water temp and yeah it would require an Aquaero.

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 09:12 AM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 99 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
I'm trying to figure out a way to insert a DS18B20 dallas temperature probe in my loop. The probe is a 6mm diameter stainless steel tube that's about 50mm long, but I probably only need to insert the first 30mm of it. Here's a picture of what one of these probes looks like: https://www.adafruit.com/product/381

My first thought was to take one of the plastic G1/4 plugs I have laying around and drill a hole into it, shove the probe through that, and somehow seal it.

As an alternative, I could put it through any G1/4 fitting and try to figure out how to seal that.

(Whatever I do, I need it to be watertight and compatible with a copper radiator.)

Does anyone have any suggestions? What would a good sealant be?

Thanks
Gary
I'm sorry, I hate when people respond to my questions with reasons on why I shouldn't do what I ask, instead of just answering the question asked. It really bothers me, and yet I am about to do it here. The reason is I am not sure what a good sealant would be, and I don't have a good suggestion on where to insert it, except for that I would probably put it on the Res Cap, and find a way to seal that properly, I am sure with enough pressure and a proper o-ring fit it can be done, I just am not an expert in that area.

But, I would suggest, possibly an easier route to go, would be to purchase something like a calitemp, or a 2 pin Temp Sensor made by Aquacomputer or Alphacool, there are plenty on the market. And I am assuming you want to use the DS18B20 because you trust it is calibrated properly. What I would do is put both Temp sensors in a bowl of water , and then calibrate the other one to the same temperature as the DS18B20. Then heat the water, dip them back in and make sure they both read the same still, and if they do just use the one already made for it.

That, or if you find the calitemp is not as accurate as the DS18B20, then cut out the sensor in the calitemp, and wire your sensor to it. As long as you document which cable you splice to which, you can cut off the connector at the end of the Calitemp and wire that to whatever you were going to wire your DS18B20 sensor to to begin with. It would be a fun little project.

Sorry I wish I had a better direct answer to your actual question.

EDIT: I do know the Calitemp uses 3 wires, as it appears the DS18B20 uses.

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
Offical Ryzen 9 3950x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
x2 Corsair Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
EKWB Acrylic 1080ti FTW Block
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 6 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by oreonutz; 07-13-2020 at 09:17 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 09:18 AM
Space Cadet

Rep: 42 (Unique: 35)
You could use a vent and just remove the vent part and then use something like a 5 way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64225_0.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	360208  

Click image for larger version

Name:	A6AHD200531CTGQZ.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	360210  

Parts on the way.
If I sound STUPID!! it's because I am. Not everyone can be a Genius!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Been around...

Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
But, I would suggest, possibly an easier route to go, would be to purchase something like a calitemp, or a 2 pin Temp Sensor made by Aquacomputer or Alphacool, there are plenty on the market. And I am assuming you want to use the DS18B20 because you trust it is calibrated properly. What I would do is put both Temp sensors in a bowl of water , and then calibrate the other one to the same temperature as the DS18B20. Then heat the water, dip them back in and make sure they both read the same still, and if they do just use the one already made for it.

That, or if you find the calitemp is not as accurate as the DS18B20, then cut out the sensor in the calitemp, and wire your sensor to it. As long as you document which cable you splice to which, you can cut off the connector at the end of the Calitemp and wire that to whatever you were going to wire your DS18B20 sensor to to begin with. It would be a fun little project.
It's not that I don't trust the calitemp, or that it's the wrong color, or anything like that. It's that I don't have and don't want an aquaero, and I have no idea what kind of sensor is inside the calitemp.

I believe the calitemp uses 4 wires (not 3.) At least that's what it looks like from the picture here: (https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product...oducts_id=3774) It claims to be a digital sensor. However, there's not much more info to go on to try and figure out what's inside of it. It has claims of accuracy, but there's no way for me to know how accurate those claims are in order to compare them to tech specs of various temp sensors. It might even be a basic thermistor with an A/D converter in the body. It might be something based on the I2C bus. I don't know (and I'm not going to spend the money just to rip one apart to figure it out.) I somehow doubt that AquaComputer would be willing to tell me what's inside. For all I know, they might have even modified the original sensor in some way just to make it proprietary. (I doubt they would do that, as it'd drive up the cost.)

As for the mass market two pin sensors, they are all thermistors. Usually 10K NTC with a beta of 3950. Usually. Sometimes. I have a couple in front of me that I've been playing with and one of them isn't exactly what it claims to be. (Same code running both of them results in a temp difference of 2C.) Sadly, I don't have a lab, so I can't precisely measure what resistances they are giving at precise temperatures. As well, the A/D conversion on my chosen project board (ESP32 based) jitters badly even after I calibrate out the oddities this board has with reading voltages.

All of which leads me back to the DS18B20. It's one of the few sensors I can get that comes in a water proof package, provides a digital signal, is extremely easy to read, and is pre-calibrated. I just need to find a watertight way to stick it into my loop.

CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime TX-750
Cooling
Cooling
HWLabs 360GTS Radiator
Cooling
EK-XTOP with D5 Pump
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS tube Res
Case
Thermaltake Core X5
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Asus PB328Q 32" WQHD
Monitor
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5
Mouse
Logitech G900
Mousepad
Corsair MM300
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 01:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'd use silicone or Wet-Bond epoxy. Clean both surfaces with a solvent and have at it.

Big Red Machine
(11 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 - 3900X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
ASUS 2070S
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum
Hard Drive
Sabrent Rocket
Power Supply
ASUS ROG Swift
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer Nitro XV272U
Keyboard
Corsair K70 MK2
Mouse
Corsair Ironclaw Wireless
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 02:40 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 99 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
It's not that I don't trust the calitemp, or that it's the wrong color, or anything like that. It's that I don't have and don't want an aquaero, and I have no idea what kind of sensor is inside the calitemp.

I believe the calitemp uses 4 wires (not 3.) At least that's what it looks like from the picture here: (https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product...oducts_id=3774) It claims to be a digital sensor. However, there's not much more info to go on to try and figure out what's inside of it. It has claims of accuracy, but there's no way for me to know how accurate those claims are in order to compare them to tech specs of various temp sensors. It might even be a basic thermistor with an A/D converter in the body. It might be something based on the I2C bus. I don't know (and I'm not going to spend the money just to rip one apart to figure it out.) I somehow doubt that AquaComputer would be willing to tell me what's inside. For all I know, they might have even modified the original sensor in some way just to make it proprietary. (I doubt they would do that, as it'd drive up the cost.)

As for the mass market two pin sensors, they are all thermistors. Usually 10K NTC with a beta of 3950. Usually. Sometimes. I have a couple in front of me that I've been playing with and one of them isn't exactly what it claims to be. (Same code running both of them results in a temp difference of 2C.) Sadly, I don't have a lab, so I can't precisely measure what resistances they are giving at precise temperatures. As well, the A/D conversion on my chosen project board (ESP32 based) jitters badly even after I calibrate out the oddities this board has with reading voltages.

All of which leads me back to the DS18B20. It's one of the few sensors I can get that comes in a water proof package, provides a digital signal, is extremely easy to read, and is pre-calibrated. I just need to find a watertight way to stick it into my loop.
Your right, I just pulled one out, it is 4 wires, for some reason I thought it was 3, but it uses the 4pin AquaBus setup. I am not sure what sensor they use, so not sure.

I liked the idea @polar put forward, those Alphacool 5 way fittings are long enough to fit the entire sensor in the end, then all you have to do is fit the wires through a vented cap and then seal it up, and then run the liquid straight through one of the top fittings, and then out the adjacent bottom for direct flow over your sensor. Should be pretty simple and not look bad at all.

What are you hooking your DS18B20 up to anyways? A digital Thermometer?

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
Offical Ryzen 9 3950x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
x2 Corsair Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
EKWB Acrylic 1080ti FTW Block
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 6 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Been around...

those Alphacool 5 way fittings are long enough to fit the entire sensor in the end, then all you have to do is fit the wires through a vented cap and then seal it up, and then run the liquid straight through one of the top fittings, and then out the adjacent bottom for direct flow over your sensor. Should be pretty simple and not look bad at all.
The vents I've seen wouldn't work: The hole doesn't go all the way through, and if I pop the entire vent part out, I might as well just start with a G1/4 male/female extender. A simple G1/4 plug with a hole drilled in it might be better...

I think I might be able to fit it in a currently plugged inlet near the bottom of my reservoir. If not, I can always put it in from the top. Either way, what I'm currently thinking is that I'll get one of the plastic G1/4 plugs I have laying around and drill a 1/4" hole in it. That should be very close to 6mm. Then seal the sensor in with one of the epoxy products suggested in this thread. (I don't trust silicone as an adhesive.)

Instead of a plug, I could also use a G1/4 male/male adapter or a male/female extender, but then there would be a much bigger hole I'd have to fill and seal.

What are you hooking your DS18B20 up to anyways? A digital Thermometer?
There's a story there... (TL;DR version is the last line of the message)

My last motherboard didn't support addressable LEDs, so I grabbed a teensy board (an overpowered arduino type project board) and programmed it to drive my LED's using whatever pattern I want. I also wired a few buttons to my case to allow easy changes. I had always wanted to get one of the little TFT or OLED screens and wire that up, and then write a service to pull temp sensor data from hwinfo and forward to the teensy board - and then display that data on the little screen. (I have a PERFECT place in my case for the screen..) I never got around to doing all that, however.

When I got my current m/b, I found that asus now supports addressable LED's. I also found out that Asus still hasn't learned to develop software, so their "aura" software sucks. Armoury Crate is even worse. So, I went back to the teensy...

Today, I'm doing the LED's with an ESP32 based board instead, and now I have the little TFT display as well. However, I decided that I don't want to depend on hwinfo64 running, or even my machine being booted into an OS for the display to contain information. As well, I'd like the LED's to change patterns, colors or whatever based on sensor data. (For example, if the water temp gets to 35C, the lighting should transition to red. If the delta between ambient air and water is greater or equal to 10C, it should start flashing and going nuts to get my attention.

I started doing all that with a 10K NTC thermistor, but those things suck, aren't calibrated, and the ESP32 has a horrible ADC. This is what the DS18B20 is for. (3 DS18B20's, actually. Ambient air, water, and case air.)

TL;DR version: I'm recreating some of the functionality of an aquaero, but I'm doing it my way, with my cosmetics, and whatever functionality I want.

CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime TX-750
Cooling
Cooling
HWLabs 360GTS Radiator
Cooling
EK-XTOP with D5 Pump
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS tube Res
Case
Thermaltake Core X5
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Asus PB328Q 32" WQHD
Monitor
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5
Mouse
Logitech G900
Mousepad
Corsair MM300
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by garyd9; 07-13-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in