OCN Water Cooling Club And Picture Gallery - Page 10951 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

OCN Water Cooling Club And Picture Gallery

post #109501 of 109656 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 17)

Quote: Originally Posted by IT Diva View Post
And you bought that Why???

Tbh I have a d5 Vario and it’s really difficult to reach back there and mess with the setting...so I need a way to regulate it without reaching back there.

And I got it set up. It works. I’m Testing now to make sure my house doesn’t burn down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i9-9900k OC to 5.0GHZ @ 1.285V Delidded/Direct Die Cooled
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
GTX 1080Ti FE
Lian Li O11 Dynamic, white

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109502 of 109656 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:51 PM
Old, Senile, and Happy

Rep: 678 (Unique: 347)
Quote: Originally Posted by Pinnacle Fit View Post
Tbh I have a d5 Vario and it’s really difficult to reach back there and mess with the setting...so I need a way to regulate it without reaching back there.

And I got it set up. It works. I’m Testing now to make sure my house doesn’t burn down.

That'll probably work out OK.

The D5 has a fairly sizeable electrolytic cap on the power feed, so it's going to integrate the pulses and act more like voltage control electrically than actual PWM, but as long as it works, is what counts.

A number of folks used high power variable voltage fan controllers to vary the speed of the Vario D5 with the red adjuster set at 5, so the interesting thing is going to be to see how much range of control you can effect.

Been a bunch of years, but my best recollection is that you could slow the D5 down to about 7.5V, but it wouldn't start with less than about 9V, and the usable RPM range was somewhat less than you could slow it down to with the red adjuster set at 1 to 2.

I did try a similar idea with a pair of D5 Strongs on a PWM controlled 24v supply, and while the D5S has a top rpm of about 6100 with a 24V supply, I could never get it to run reliably below about 3800-4100 rpm

Keep us posted on what kind of speed range you can get, and what minimum speed setting you can get it to reliably start at on power up.

Last edited by IT Diva; 04-23-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #109503 of 109656 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

The D5 has a fairly sizeable electrolytic cap on the power feed, so it's going to integrate the pulses and act more like voltage control electrically than actual PWM, but as long as it works, is what counts.

A number of folks used high power variable voltage fan controllers to vary the speed of the Vario D5 with the red adjuster set at 5, so the interesting thing is going to be to see how much range of control you can effect.

Been a bunch of years, but my best recollection is that you could slow the D5 down to about 7.5V, but it wouldn't start with less than about 9V, and the usable RPM range was somewhat less than you could slow it down to with the red adjuster set at 1 to 2.

I did try a similar idea with a pair of D5 Strongs on a PWM controlled 24v supply, and while the D5S has a top rpm of about 6100 with a 24V supply, I could never get it to run reliably below about 3800-4100 rpm

Keep us posted on what kind of speed range you can get, and what minimum speed setting you can get it to reliably start at on power up.

I was able to control it quite a bit. I had it connected to an external psu and it was working fine. I got a decent range. Yes I had to turn it about halfway (6-8v I suppose) before I saw any action, but I was able to get the full speed at 5. I’ll try connecting my multimeter to see exactly what voltage I’m getting out in a bit.

I need to get a better case for this thing because I used double sided tape to mount it in my case and connected it to my internal psu...and it shorted when I moved the case. I guess there was some contact with metal...it came back online in a few min but I had this sort of thing happen before too. I’m wondering what it could be...

GTX 1080Ti FE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109504 of 109656 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

If you connect a 75W rated potentiometer to a device drawing 24W from a PSU rated at 750W max, you shouldn’t have issues right?
Trying to eliminate sources of error.

GTX 1080Ti FE

post #109505 of 109656 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Old, Senile, and Happy

Rep: 678 (Unique: 347)
Quote: Originally Posted by Pinnacle Fit View Post
If you connect a 75W rated potentiometer to a device drawing 24W from a PSU rated at 750W max, you shouldn’t have issues right?
Trying to eliminate sources of error.

Where did a potentiometer come into this?

Are you looking to put it in series with the pump to reduce the voltage going to the pump?

You size a potentiometer by the resistance you need to do what you want to accomplish with it, and then specify a power rating, (W) based on the worst case power drop across the potentiometer.
post #109506 of 109656 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Where did a potentiometer come into this?

Are you looking to put it in series with the pump to reduce the voltage going to the pump?

You size a potentiometer by the resistance you need to do what you want to accomplish with it, and then specify a power rating, (W) based on the worst case power drop across the potentiometer.
A voltage regulator is a potentiometer, right?

Yes. I have it set up so Power goes into the potentiometer from the psu and out to the pump to reduce the voltage going to the pump.

Power drop worst case is 24 watts so I guess my equation is (P=V^2/R) = 24W /144V = 0.166kOhm?

GTX 1080Ti FE

post #109507 of 109656 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 37)
About to embark on another water cooling journey soon. Just waiting for more components to arrive.

post #109508 of 109656 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 528 (Unique: 299)
I wanna see BP make a dual pump solution for that new system.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #109509 of 109656 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:40 PM
Master of Black Snow

Rep: 700 (Unique: 519)
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfeZZor X View Post
About to embark on another water cooling journey soon. Just waiting for more components to arrive.

Spoiler!
Holy OMERFNL that is a huge pic!

Not a fan of MSi boards( Overclock Speed Dial specifically) but that Digital Display along the 24 pin is a nice touch. Nice Distro plate though. Is that a Singularity special?

~Ceadder

I am really starting to feel my Oats as a long time member of OCN. Why did we go back to this system again?

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/w8cbvb-6.png
Black snow
(17 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1800x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX RX 480 Black Edition 8GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z370 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZSK
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Adata m.2
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova
Cooling
EKWB Crosshair VI Acetyl Monoblock
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64bit USB
Monitor
Samsung NU6900
Keyboard
Corsair K55
Mouse
Corsair M65
Other
Xbox Wireless Controller: Winter Forces Special Edition - Xbox One/Xbox One S/Windows 10
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard
Crosshair IV Formula
GPU
XFX RX 480 Black Edition 8GB
RAM
Corsair Dominator
Hard Drive
x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0
Hard Drive
Samsun 750 EVO
Power Supply
EVGA
Cooling
EK D5 Vario
Cooling
EK x3 250 RGB
Cooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silent Fans
Cooling
EK Supreme HF Classified
Cooling
Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing.
Cooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings
Cooling
EK x3 CSQ Clean Acrylic
Cooling
EK RX 480 Copper/Acetyl
Case
HAF 932
Operating System
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM
Monitor
Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen
Keyboard
Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know what I'm going to replace it with.
Mouse
Logitech g9x
Mouse
COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad
Audio
Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers
Other
Creative X-Fi
Other
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3
▲ hide details ▲

post #109510 of 109656 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 87 (Unique: 47)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post
Holy OMERFNL that is a huge pic!

Not a fan of MSi boards( Overclock Speed Dial specifically) but that Digital Display along the 24 pin is a nice touch. Nice Distro plate though. Is that a Singularity special?

~Ceadder
It comes with the spectre case, looks sweet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in