Watercooling: Bad for LAN Parties? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Watercooling: Bad for LAN Parties?

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yo, im thinking about aquiring a water cooling system, with waterblocks on my CPU, chipset and GFX card. I also want some radiators to keep the rest cool. But the problem is: I like to attend to lans. How is it with watercooling in ur system when ur going to a lan? Wont ur PC be like 5kgs heavier + the risk of making a leak, + you have to carry the watertank and stuff seperate? Or is that no hassle at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 431 (Unique: 279)
There are kits that are totally internal to the case. However, as you said they are inherently heavier due to the added parts and water. If you are going to a LAN, stick with air cooling the headache of worrying about leaky fittings and cracking waterlines just isn't worth it if you are planning on moving it around a lot.

Read and heed, The Forum Tpost-flame-small.gifS!!!
Trouble finding the FAQ page? Go Here
Help us, help you. Fill out your System Specs.
New to the art of Overclocking? Read these to get you started in the right direction. AMD Intel
XBox Live Gamertag: Wikk3d

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 139 (Unique: 118)
if i went to lans i wouldnt want to worry about the ectra wieght either. leaking shouldnt occur but who in the back of their mind doesnt have a mental picture of water all up in their rig?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 190 (Unique: 176)
i go to lans wth my WC rig, haven't had a mishap yet. I use smaller fittings on the waterlines (i'm sure everone knows that trick) and when i go to lans i secure with plastic clips for the journey. And anyone who worries about an extra 5kg needs to go to the gym.

Check out how to mod your BT or see if your Sapphire X800GTO² can be unlocked. in my FAQs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxus go_quote.gif
also, i am using a Coolermaster 690 with stock fans, which i hear blow goats. Dunno though.
3DMark06: 14637 proof.gif
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 17)
i always goes to my friends house with the watercooling set up never had a problem!!
in your case may be you can do a water cooling for your cpu only!! with a dual rad it shouldnt be much different (weight)!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Sun
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 328 (Unique: 249)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay7
Yo, im thinking about aquiring a water cooling system, with waterblocks on my CPU, chipset and GFX card. I also want some radiators to keep the rest cool. But the problem is: I like to attend to lans. How is it with watercooling in ur system when ur going to a lan? Wont ur PC be like 5kgs heavier + the risk of making a leak, + you have to carry the watertank and stuff seperate? Or is that no hassle at all?
If all your components are internal and sealed, (Most systems are, mostly all systems are. ), then you will see no problems with leaks. Plus, watercooling is actually only slightly heavier than most air coolers today, especially with things like the XP-90C and Big Typhoon.

DO NOT PIRATE GAMES.
Mission: ImPA120.3 Triple Radiator inside Antec 300
Add to the Data @ Fuelly

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 176 (Unique: 159)
My computer already weighs about 50lbs. Damn steel case. might I suggest one of those case holster things, or even...a dolly! Honestly though, just get a nice strap for the tower and you should be good to go.

http://xoxide.com/thxaiiibtoxa.html

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 46)
go for the water cooling even if you are a lan-boy. I've got a micro case w/ a handle for sale with mobo and psu for only 100...maybe ram for an extra 20. hit me up if you're interested
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 15)
If you want to reduce the weight, you can empty a reservoir system and refill it with tap water on arrival. Tap-water is not good for a cooling system, but it wont do any harm if you only want to run it for a few hours.

T-lines take too long to fill and de-bubble though.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
WC + LanParty = No Problem
Though it's heavier compared to air cooling but, no sweat!!
Go to gym some more LoL

applaud.gif GreaT DayZcheers.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in