Illudium Q-36 ThermoElectric Modulator - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Illudium Q-36 ThermoElectric Modulator

post #1 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
The 6502 Still Rocks

Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
Well, that took forever. I finally got the custom inductor I was expecting back in September.

This inductor is wound with 2mm x 6mm flatwire and is the max that could be packed into the 20mm high core.

I was waiting for the samples before cutting the board because sometimes what you get in the proposed part drawing isn't what comes out when it's manufactured. In this case, however, the drawing was indeed correct.

I'll cut 5 base boards and begin testing once they come back. The yellow rings around the 3 holes are where the inductor tabs drop in for soldering. They will result in plated through router cuts when manufactured. They are a bit difficult to see in the image but they wrap the two sets of three holes in front of the inductor in the middle.

I've still got a few edits to make.

This is going to be murder to solder. What you can't see in the shot above are exposed conductive sections that will get laser cut sheet copper to improve their conductivity and lower overall loss.

The board shown is 4.5" by 3.0" with some additional connector overhang on each end. There's an obvious fan mount for a 70mm 12V fan to move air over the hot stuff.

The target is to be able to deliver 850 watts at the output and 0.5 - 36.0 volts with a settable upper limit and a PWM control input while reporting output current back via the fan tach pulse mechanism. The regulator board snaps vertically onto the header along the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 06:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 29)
thumb.gif nice work chicken! I remember my search for a suitable inductor for an LC filter that I'd planned on making was tough, this is a whole other level. Would be nice to have that extra voltage when needed. 12v just isn't quite enough for the 667w TEC I use, 15v would be plenty though.

post #3 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
The 6502 Still Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamG6 View Post

... 12v just isn't quite enough for the 667w TEC I use, 15v would be plenty though.

What TEC is that? Something like a TEC1-12740?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

It's the Thermonamic 19940 667w http://www.thermonamic.com/TEHC1-19940-English.PDF

post #5 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
The 6502 Still Rocks

Ah, that's the part I was targeting when I decided to build this thing. I didn't recognize it because I have the sheet for the non-H part with somewhat lower efficiency.

My thought was that by stopping at 850 watts on the output, I could drive that Thermonamic part to about 85% of it's limit ... which is at or slightly past where you'd really ever want to drive it.

I need to order a couple of those ... they are probably going to cost a fortune to get them the way I want them.

I've got a Foxrena block and an Ultrasonic2 block to test with.
post #6 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

if you plan on nitriding them I hope you're rich!! biggrin.gif curious to see the comparison between the US2 block and the Archimedes block, the US2 block is probably more capable in terms of fin/channel coverage for large heat loads. The Archimedes block has fantastic flow, very low restriction. I'm using the archimedes block with the TEC at 12v and controlling with PWM, it can keep the cold plate at 10-15*c with a quad core haswell depending on ambient temps. That's without HT and with only 1.315v at 5ghz. TEC is using about 220w. But spec sheet is way wrong so it might be less watts than that. Ideally 15v would be good for quad cores, could push it a bit further for X99/ZEN chips.

post #7 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
The 6502 Still Rocks

Yeah, when I priced them with AlN substrates a while back it was about $400 each.
post #8 of 186 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

I wanted to test one with AIN but the price is just out of the question, the theoretical performance improvement isn't big enough to justify. I'd love to test a specced up one, but only if it was less that $150. That was the price they gave me for a standard one.

post #9 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
The 6502 Still Rocks

I cut out a test print to show the size. This is a final print that I'll place a few of the parts onto to make sure I didn't muck up any of the part footprints. Then this going to manufacture. There's a standard set of Post-It notes to the left and a standard business card below to show the actual size. The input and output connectors overhang the board slightly on either side. This is the 850 watt converter baseboard. The heavy black lines are where solder mask will be left off and laser cut 16 gauge sheet copper bus strips will be soldered on for a low impedence path. They all show on the top but some of them are actually on the bottom side. I just have them set to always show through in the tool. The regulator board snaps vertically onto the long header row at the bottom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in