Video card + TEC cooling - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Video card + TEC cooling

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:29 PM
Avid Something-or-Other

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by AVATARAT View Post
OK, after I remove the back plate I saw that this will not work as I suppose, because the part for heat came from some things (I am not sure VRM or what they are) but they use thermal pads to contact back plate and they become very hot under load ~60C.

About my first question, yes the place is too small and the thermal pad will not make good contact. So I must think for other variant to cool the card.
I am scary to remove the warranty sticker and to put the card under water
Vega 56 doesn't necessarily need to be used with a CLC/custom water block as a big air cooler like Morpheus II works just fine depending on your power consumption.

As for the warranty sticker, have you tried contacting MSI about it? Warranty void stickers are sometimes used as a QC sticker by the company to identify which RMAs have to be inspected for PCB/die damage to determine if said claim is valid. Judging from various threads around the internet, most companies will be fairly lenient if you can prove you didn't cause any physical damage (cracks, broken off chips, etc); but this can vary depending on your country and specific circumstances. If you can easily justify the cost of a suitable aftermarket heatsink and fans ($70-100 USD would be a good price range depending on quality of fans) for upgrading the Vega's cooling, it is probably worth it to email MSI with your question.

Last edited by shellashock; 10-22-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
Yeah I know that about warranty and it is option too.
Thanks to all
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 12:30 PM
TEC Veteran

Rep: 110 (Unique: 90)
Its possible...but likely not worth it.

Easiest method would be to cool the backplate directly with a heatsink and fan mounted to the hot side of the TEC. Without a controller though it is a recipe for disaster...if you have a TEC strong enough to actually make a difference at load, it will be too cold at idle and cause condensation. A simple temp probe+relay+arduino setup could be rigged up for a simple ON/OFF @ whatever dew point is (which indoors can be anywhere from 8-10c all the way up to 15-16c depending on humidity and temp)...but now you are spending a lot of money for something that likely will have zero effects on your overclock speed or stability and will be dumping quite a bit of heat directly into your case.

Better method of cooling cards with a TEC is to use the TEC for a chiller and run the coolant through a full coverage block on an insulated card. That requires a much larger TEC, two water blocks, dual loops, and you still need a controller so its $$$.

Check out a few threads in the TEC section or the links in my sig for some examples of what it takes to properly run a TEC setup. Some of us have 3+ years of daily use TEC systems but most dont run them full tilt all the time due to massive power draw and heat output. My setup WITHOUT the two chillers installed can bring my IHS down to ~5c at full load with a 5ghz i7 but I choose to keep it at 15c @ 4.7ghz for 24/7 use since it releases an insane amount of heat in the room with everything at full power.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 01:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I tried TEC 9- 10 years ago with separate cooling 360w or 480w i forgot. I used 480 feser radiator, ek block n custom copper adapter/mouting for the TEC, seperate psu and some other thing to cool the hot side. All in all, it's not worth it. It's better to watercool the whole system n hook the radiator to portable air conditioner like jayztwocents did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in