Video card + TEC cooling - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Video card + TEC cooling

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
Video card + TEC cooling

I'm wonder can I do the follow ?
Can I add one TEC1 12706 on the back side of my video card with just one Arctic Thermal pad 50x50x1.5mm
I'm wonder is it safe for the card or I will damage it ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
TEC is almost 110% of the time not efficient at all.
Sorry I cant answer you question. Be easier to go water chiller and get a water block. You still have to find out a way to cool the TEC also. You just dont plug it up and it boom coolness.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

My main idea is to cool a bit the card without to do any manipulation on it.
This peltier is around 70W so it is easy to be cooled with anything, I do not worry about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Avid Something-or-Other

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by AVATARAT View Post
This peltier is around 70W so it is easy to be cooled with anything, I do not worry about this.
How do you plan to secure the TEC and its corresponding heatsink to the back of the GPU? There are a fair number of ceramic capacitors back there that don't take kindly to uneven pressure and can easily be sheared off. If you decide to attach the TEC to the steel mounting bracket, the steel's higher thermal resistance and limited surface area will make it difficult to actually transfer heat out of the core and the bulk of the cold side surface of the TEC will be exposed to air in between the ceramic capacitors and the mounting bracket; increasing the likelihood of water condensing from the trapped air onto the card if you don't insulate it properly.

In addition, you would need to wire up separate cables to power the TEC through your PSU or some other power supply. Not too big a deal depending on your PSU and cables available, but still something to keep in mind.

How much more cooling do you need for your Vega 56 anyway? TBH, you would probably be better off buying an aftermarket GPU heatsink like a Morpheus II or Artic Accelero Xtreme if you want to cool a Vega 56/64 more than stock instead of messing with TECs.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Meep

Rep: 304 (Unique: 223)
No offence, but this is just an utterly horrible idea. Best case scenario you get a very minor improvement in core temps. Worst case scenario you create condensation on the back of your card and fry it.

TEC's aren't easy to do right, don't even think about running them without a controller, its a recipe for disaster.

So unless you're planning to put countless hours of research and more money than you'd want into it, move along.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 03:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 563 (Unique: 321)
sounds like a great way to light your whole PC on fire.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 03:21 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 192 (Unique: 129)
What are you trying to achieve? You cannot go below ambient with that little power so a decent water loop would cool better and generate less heat in total. That TEC running near 70W is going to be very inefficient so generate a lot of heat itself, and removing that 70W from the back of the card isn't going to help cool the GPU very much. TECs are pretty bad when running near their limits so they are not really suited to cooling modern desktop CPUs or GPUs. Isn't the 12709 a 50W TEC?

You will need a thicker pad if you don't want to disassemble the card... if you mount it under the bracket 1.5mm might be enough but I would still go with something a bit thicker with all that surface mount stuff there. At least 2mm but I would probably go for a 3mm one.
Edit: Actually, I would not do that and go with a water loop instead. We use TECs a lot at work and they really aren't worth it unless you need to go below ambient. Also, as mentioned already, TECs require a controller so you don't cause condensation when the GPU is idle.

Last edited by Asmodian; 10-20-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Avid Something-or-Other

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
What are you trying to achieve? You cannot go below ambient with that little power so a decent water loop would cool better and generate less heat in total. That TEC running near 70W is going to be very inefficient so generate a lot of heat itself, and removing that 70W from the back of the card isn't going to help cool the GPU very much. TECs are pretty bad when running near their limits so they are not really suited to cooling modern desktop CPUs or GPUs. Isn't the 12709 a 50W TEC?

You will need a thicker pad if you don't want to disassemble the card... if you mount it under the bracket 1.5mm might be enough but I would still go with something a bit thicker with all that surface mount stuff there. At least 2mm but I would probably go for a 3mm one.
Edit: Actually, I would not do that and go with a water loop instead. We use TECs a lot at work and they really aren't worth it unless you need to go below ambient. Also, as mentioned already, TECs require a controller so you don't cause condensation when the GPU is idle.
Wouldn't stuffing a thermal pad under the mounting bracket also increase the effective mounting pressure and increase chances of damaging the die?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 192 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by shellashock View Post
Wouldn't stuffing a thermal pad under the mounting bracket also increase the effective mounting pressure and increase chances of damaging the die?
Yes, that would probably crack the die. I assumed the pad would not actually be between the mounting points of the bracket and the GPU, if it was it would need standoffs. I just meant that it would not be on top of the bracket. Thanks for the clarification, that could be very bad. It is pretty important to keep the mounting forces similar.

Still, it is a bad idea either way.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK, after I remove the back plate I saw that this will not work as I suppose, because the part for heat came from some things (I am not sure VRM or what they are) but they use thermal pads to contact back plate and they become very hot under load ~60C.

About my first question, yes the place is too small and the thermal pad will not make good contact. So I must think for other variant to cool the card.
I am scary to remove the warranty sticker and to put the card under water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in