2x50mm TEC's Direct Die by Ultrasonic2 - Page 12 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

2x50mm TEC's Direct Die by Ultrasonic2

post #111 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 56)
Didn't realize there'd be quite so much interest in this At any rate hopefully we should have plenty of cooling. The cooling loop consists of 4 x Black Ice GTX 240 radiators plumbed in series w/16 high speed Yate Loon fans (2000rpm) push pull on a separate 180w psu. I am using the 24v Iwaki RD-30 for the pump. Here's a sloppy pic I have since made minor changes to compensate for the fact that the RD-30 has obnoxious suction side pressure.

It's enough to collapse 1/2" x 3/4" clearflex tubing. I'll try and drag the rig upstairs after work tonight and grab some pics. Tomorrow or tonight if I have time I will pull the mobo out of the danger den torture rack so I can get pics of the insulation on the back side of the mobo. The board is already half prepped from benching under LN2. The mount held the board condensation free for 12 hours of sub zero benching more than once. I guess that's the only thing I should note here that is going to be different than any others that may use this block in the future. I will be using the mounting hardware and the back plate/insulation from my LN2 pot. Here's an older pic of the rig again things have changed a little since...

Hmmmm...more good news package should be there when I get home...

Detailed Results:

Bullet Arrival at Post Office, March 26, 2010, 8:47 am , NY 12775
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, March 25, 2010, 8:58 pm, KEARNY, NJ 07032
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, March 24, 2010, 11:13 pm, ORLANDO, FL 32824
Bullet Shipment Accepted; March 24, 2010, 4:15 pm, PALM BAY, FL 32905
Bullet Electronic Shipping Info Received, March 24, 2010

With that I should at the very least be able to get the block hooked up and there should be very little bleeding to do on the loop due to the quick disconnects. I only have one concern at this time and that is the ability of the 600w 24v meanwell to handle the load of both tecs and the Iwaki. It handled a 28v 400w tec and the pump no problem and it is rated for three devices so we shall see.
Maybe I can throw up a few frosty pics later. For now this is a pic of the 28v 400w 62mm tec at 24v with some aluminum plates I lapped with 800 and 1000 grit sandpaper the hot side plate was reading~25c via digital laser thermometer. I know its ghetto lol but it was really for testing purposes to make sure all the parts worked (meanwell tec etc) and I also wanted to make sure I didn't trip any breakers If it is too much for the meanwell I will take the pump off of it and use the optional 12v to 24v converter performance pc's sells for the pump. Shoulda just grabbed one anyway but why bother until I know I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck5000 go_quote.gif
eek.gif Its you!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverw92 go_quote.gif
Did it involve me being a prostitute?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 21)
so what are you using to power the high voltage tecs? 36V aren't they? That puppy is going to pull about 750-800W of a/c power just to power those two at qmax

If you're on a traditional 15A circuit, you're going to have to plug the computer into a different circuit than the TEC's as the 920 can pull 600+ watts on its own at 1.65V 5ghz and high FPU load. ;D Add that to your video cards under load and you are way north of 1800W.

;D

Caps lock is like cruise control for cool.

i7 920 d0 at 4.83ghz at 22'C ;D

Temps controlled by UltraSonic2's 2x50mm TEC waterblock.

post #113 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 163 (Unique: 99)
Well if he's on 240 volts he'll be fine 10 amp = 2400watts 15 amps= 3600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 102 (Unique: 90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundergod989 View Post
so what are you using to power the high voltage tecs? 36V aren't they? That puppy is going to pull about 750-800W of a/c power just to power those two at qmax

If you're on a traditional 15A circuit, you're going to have to plug the computer into a different circuit than the TEC's as the 920 can pull 600+ watts on its own at 1.65V 5ghz and high FPU load. ;D Add that to your video cards under load and you are way north of 1800W.

;D

I did not know this! That's some intense power draw. TECs + OC'd i7 + GTX480 would be a lot of power draw... might even risk blowing a fuse in a traditional US home.

post #115 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

It's only max numbers.

Im working on a practical and cost efficient thermostat for controlling TEC's for 50 amps

This should reduce the power draw massively under normal usage

MY old thermostat kept my PC chilly for only 50 watts, which was idle and would ramp up as needed
post #116 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 05:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 56)
Was a long weekend got more cleaning done than anything else and got called in on saturday to work so. I will hopefully at least get the block pics of it running on the water loop up tonight. As far as powerdraw goes we will have to wait and see. The tecs will be run at 24vdc on a 600w 24vdc meanwell off of a 110vac receptacle off a 30amp breaker. I do have a 220vac service in my house so if things need upgrading they can be. I can say this on the rig pictured with a [email protected] and 1.7vcore it ran SPI32m and pcmark05 just fine off of a 1050w Enermax PSU. And there were two other rigs benching in the room....normal 110vac circuit breaker was 10 or 15amps don't remember exactly wasn't my house As for my office down stairs which still isn't ready I ran a [email protected]~1.43vcore and the same rig pictured above on a single stage phase unit at the same settings in the same room as well. I'll report back tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck5000 go_quote.gif
eek.gif Its you!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverw92 go_quote.gif
Did it involve me being a prostitute?
post #117 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 (muffy) View Post
It's only max numbers.

Im working on a practical and cost efficient thermostat for controlling TEC's for 50 amps

This should reduce the power draw massively under normal usage

MY old thermostat kept my PC chilly for only 50 watts, which was idle and would ramp up as needed
There is no reason why this could not be a very basic thermostat with the output run to a high current relay. Here in the Uk a basic standalone air con thermostat can be had for £11 it wont take the current but as I said you send the output to a relay. It is quite possible to self build one really cheap.
post #118 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elloquin View Post
Was a long weekend got more cleaning done than anything else and got called in on saturday to work so. I will hopefully at least get the block pics of it running on the water loop up tonight. As far as powerdraw goes we will have to wait and see. The tecs will be run at 24vdc on a 600w 24vdc meanwell off of a 110vac receptacle off a 30amp breaker. I do have a 220vac service in my house so if things need upgrading they can be. I can say this on the rig pictured with a [email protected] and 1.7vcore it ran SPI32m and pcmark05 just fine off of a 1050w Enermax PSU. And there were two other rigs benching in the room....normal 110vac circuit breaker was 10 or 15amps don't remember exactly wasn't my house As for my office down stairs which still isn't ready I ran a [email protected]~1.43vcore and the same rig pictured above on a single stage phase unit at the same settings in the same room as well. I'll report back tonight.
im a little worried that this UPS will go straight into over load at start up .. i have you have a volt meter to make sure it's not ..... im looking forward to the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post
There is no reason why this could not be a very basic thermostat with the output run to a high current relay. Here in the Uk a basic standalone air con thermostat can be had for £11 it wont take the current but as I said you send the output to a relay. It is quite possible to self build one really cheap.
I know what your saying im a little surprised people haven't done it in the past ? once you have the thermostat all those people that want to tec but with out going below dew point could possible use it
post #119 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 01:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 102 (Unique: 90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 (muffy) View Post
I know what your saying im a little surprised people haven't done it in the past ? once you have the thermostat all those people that want to tec but with out going below dew point could possible use it
Wow, that would be nice. I think a lot of people would want that, uber cooling without worry of condensation.

post #120 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

yeah but it will cost them 500usd for a whole 2c lower temps LOL .. still people will do it
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in