Chiller Experiment - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Chiller Experiment

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 56)
So...since I have some time on my hands while the other project is temporarily on hold and I have some things laying about not doing anything figured I would toss together a chiller. Probably will fail miserably but this is more about tinkerin and having fun than anything else and who knows maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. Now since I had to use an alternate 12v supply for the fans and pump in the 2 x 50mm TEC loop I now have the supply I borrowed from an external waterbox I built ages ago back. I also have the 62 x 62mm400w TEC laying about. I also have a couple of aluminum/copper tube cold plates laying about lol. So the idea is to Use the external water box to cool the hot side plate and have the cold side plate supply chilled water to the 2 x 50mm TEC loop. Of course here are the obligatory pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck5000 go_quote.gif
eek.gif Its you!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverw92 go_quote.gif
Did it involve me being a prostitute?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 36)
I don't really see a lot wrong with this at the mo'. Certainly supplying chilled coolant to the waterblock is one way to go but how chilled you will get it is another. You need to avoid a rad anywhere in the loop supplying the waterblock and please don't start that "post rad" carp.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok Pics of the res I added and the plates.

Quote:
eek.gif Its you!!!
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 163 (Unique: 99)
Nicely made .. it's never gonna beable to cool the duel TEC block and CPU though .
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 03:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 (muffy) View Post
Nicely made .. it's never gonna beable to cool the duel TEC block and CPU though .
not as good as yours can.

but it still should spread heat well.

cool.gif chill guy as always.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 163 (Unique: 99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonkev666 View Post
not as good as yours can.

but it still should spread heat well.
huh ?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Right then. I am going to toss this together this weekend for the fun of it. As I said I don't expect much but since I have the supplies might as well give it a whirl. I will be using the custom thermoelectric 400w 62mm TEC for this mounted in between the 2 plates pictured. They are all set to go pretty much drilled and ready to be bolted. They use 3/8" OD tubes so I need to find the push on 3/8" fittings I have somewhere lol and then I can use the adapters for them to get them up to half inch OD. Other wise I will have to use couplings. I need 4 I know where 3 are just need to find one more. Quick disconnects and other assorted bits came Tuesday. I haven't decided what to use to cool it between the external rad set up I have now with the 4 x GTX 240's and the Iwaki RD-30 or try and get away with the 2 120 rad from the pictured unit which can dissipate a maximum of 800 watts of heat. I plan on using it with the following:

CPU: AMD 1090T BE
MOBO: Asus Crosshair IV (Which I will re TIM the stock IHS and correct any issues with)
MEMORY: Corsair Dominator GT 2000 Cas 8
Graphics: 2 x XFX 5870 (Flashed to MSI lightning bios) w/ 2 x Koolance Blocks ver 2.0 (water flows over the vregs now with rev 2.0 on the reference design now)
CASE: Microcool Banchetto
CPU block: Koolance CPU 360.
Other odds and ends.

Quote:
eek.gif Its you!!!
Quote:
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elloquin View Post
CPU: AMD 1090T BE
MOBO: Asus Crosshair IV (Which I will re TIM the stock IHS and correct any issues with).
Damn man yer gonna ruin my fun lmao, I have both of those and my block is in transit lol Oh well I can't wait for the results on an overclock! I'm at 55°C with my piss poor Bigwater 760i on full load at 1.44V 4.1GHz.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow View Post
Damn man yer gonna ruin my fun lmao, I have both of those and my block is in transit lol Oh well I can't wait for the results on an overclock! I'm at 55°C with my piss poor Bigwater 760i on full load at 1.44V 4.1GHz.
Right I am looking forward to it. Been a while since I benched AMD. Last time was an FX-60 on a DFI Lanparty VENUS limited edition mobo lol. Now as for the rest of your post that should help you in the future when you test your TEC block. With what is (no offense) quite possibly the worst cooling solution on earth you are at 55c with 6 cores at 1.44v. TDP on that chip is 125w stock. Let's compare to cmolson's results with a 4 core part and a TDP of 130w stock. One has piss poor cooling the other what should be fantastic cooling they have a very similar overclock with the one exception of the 920 using much lower vcore. 55c for you 46c for the 920 9c delta. See where this is going yet?

Quote:
eek.gif Its you!!!
Quote:
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 21)
Maybe, maybe not lol. I'm thinking my chip should be a lot cooler running? Heard that if you run the Thuban's at lower temps you can use a lower Vcore. Anyway, awaiting the results

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in