Speedfan replacement ? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Speedfan replacement ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
sykotikman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Rep: 0
I have just put together a new PC with I5 8600K and Z370 MSI mobo ,
i have used speedfan for years now , and it is /was the best for me for fine tuning my fans and pumps on my Z97 and 4790k

How ever have noticed that speedfan doesn't work on my mobo ( after trying it ) and the MSI command center is ****e ,
bios fan control isn't much better.

is there any other software like speedfan ?
thanks .
sykotikman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 PM
New001
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,668
Could get a hardware fan controller, those are the best and sometimes they look good too biggrin.gif
spinFX is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:08 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
KCDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,091
Rep: 28 (Unique: 23)
I've wanted the same thing, can't deal with speedfan, it's not updated enough.

Without going totally hardware with aqueros, there are few other options.

NZXT sentry LXE is discontinued, but I used one for years and is awesome! ebay has them, make sure they come with all thermal lines.

the bad side is your thermals won't be exact, just what the probes tell you.

What's your mobo?

ZMT watercool setup -- Phanteks Enthoo Elite -- hwlabs gtr 420 x 2 -- -- xspc tx360 crossflow -- noctua A14 PWM x9 -- 10940x -- Rampage VI Extreme Encore
Optimus Signature V2 -- 64gb 3200 tridentZ Royal CL14 @3600 CL16 -- AX1500i -- 2x 7600p nvme -- EK ZMT Tubing -- Ek Fittings -- dual Aorus Waterforce xtreme 2080ti -- asus PG279UZ monitors x3 7680x1440 surround
Bertha5.5
(22 items)
CPU
9900x
Motherboard
X2399 TUF Mk1
GPU
Aorus 2080ti Waterforce Xtreme
GPU
Aorus 2080ti Waterforce Xtreme
RAM
TridentZ Royal 3200 CL14
Hard Drive
VROC 7600P x2
Power Supply
Ax1500i
Cooling
HWL GTR 420 x2
Cooling
XSPC TX360 Crossflow
Cooling
EK ZMT 10/16
Cooling
Corsair XC9
Cooling
Corsair XD5
Cooling
EK 10/16 Fittings
Cooling
Noctua A14 PWM x9
Cooling
Noctua NF-P12 PWM redux x3
Cooling
Corsair Commander Pro
Case
Enthoo Elite
Operating System
Win 10 Pro 64
Monitor
Asus PG279QZ x3
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse
Corsair Nightsword
Mousepad
Corsair MM800
▲ hide details ▲
KCDC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:24 PM
New001
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDC View Post

I've wanted the same thing, can't deal with speedfan, it's not updated enough.

Without going totally hardware with aqueros, there are few other options.

NZXT sentry LXE is discontinued, but I used one for years and is awesome! ebay has them, make sure they come with all thermal lines.

the bad side is your thermals won't be exact, just what the probes tell you. but that's ok

What's your mobo?

You can get much cheaper and simpler fan controllers than aquero, I think thats pretty much the top of the line.

You don't need responsive fans, find a nice setting where performance doesnt suffer and noise is not too much... A whole system of fans ramping up and down is annoying anyway, lock all fans at a set speed and just have CPU fan adjust to temps, GPU fans should do it by themselves.
spinFX is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:58 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 3,458
Rep: 233 (Unique: 176)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post

You can get much cheaper and simpler fan controllers than aquero, I think thats pretty much the top of the line.

You don't need responsive fans, find a nice setting where performance doesnt suffer and noise is not too much... A whole system of fans ramping up and down is annoying anyway, lock all fans at a set speed and just have CPU fan adjust to temps, GPU fans should do it by themselves.
While this approach made sense a few years ago, particularly when nearly every PWM fan clicked, these days you can can perform most idling tasks with fans idling/off. While the difference between 700-900rpm and 300-500rpm isn't that different for most users, it is appreciable for those who identify bearing noise and the like.

I am a Marxist. Not the Sanders/Sweden/state bureacracy kind, but the workers' democratic control over the means of production kind.

I often use the debates I get into on these forums to demonstrate logical fallacies to to my students and debate teams I coach. Beware - your arguments are under scrutiny of adolescents and teenagers!
claes is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
sykotikman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Rep: 0
Forgot about fan controllers but ,
i like the fact that i could set a fan curve with in speedfan ( fans barely turning) while at idle , and a good 70% while gaming and not to loud , but i also had the water pump set with in speedfan too as well giving the same , (barely spinning when at idle and full speed when gaming)

A controller is an option , but i think i have found a happy medium , within the bios , it does ramp up and down quite a bit some times while at idle , but most of all their increases to about 70% while gaming .

Mobo is the z370 MSI carbon
sykotikman is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:29 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
StillClock1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 259
Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
I've wrestled with the same question and posted a bunch of places - have yet to find any replacement to Speedfan if you want to control your fans based on CPU and GPU temps (and more).

What, specifically, is giving you trouble? I've gone through some issues with speedfan and got it come around (mostly luck).

I could never get the email/notifications to work in Speedfan but did get HWinfo to provide that for me easily.

As a hybrid of advice above: if you can't get Speedfan to work for you, I would recommend setting some low-but-stable cooling speed in the BIOS and then guarding yourself on the high-temp side by setting triggers in HWinfo to email you/pop-up/shutdown your PC if the temperature hits a certain limit.

Hidden Overkill: Strix Z270e Motherboard | i7 7700k | 16 GB 2133MHz HyperX Fury | ROG 1080Ti Poseidon | 360mm + 480mm Black Ice Nemesis Radiators | Custom Case | 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2412M Monitors | Samsung 960 512 GB | HTC Vive
StillClock1 is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:54 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 3,458
Rep: 233 (Unique: 176)
FWIW, the Aquaero 5 LT is only $60. Probably worth it if you're investing hundreds in fans and a pump.

I am a Marxist. Not the Sanders/Sweden/state bureacracy kind, but the workers' democratic control over the means of production kind.

I often use the debates I get into on these forums to demonstrate logical fallacies to to my students and debate teams I coach. Beware - your arguments are under scrutiny of adolescents and teenagers!
claes is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
sykotikman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillClock1 View Post

I've wrestled with the same question and posted a bunch of places - have yet to find any replacement to Speedfan if you want to control your fans based on CPU and GPU temps (and more).

What, specifically, is giving you trouble? I've gone through some issues with speedfan and got it come around (mostly luck).

I could never get the email/notifications to work in Speedfan but did get HWinfo to provide that for me easily.

As a hybrid of advice above: if you can't get Speedfan to work for you, I would recommend setting some low-but-stable cooling speed in the BIOS and then guarding yourself on the high-temp side by setting triggers in HWinfo to email you/pop-up/shutdown your PC if the temperature hits a certain limit.

Speed fan will not detect my mobo ,
I install the software ( speed fan ) click on configure >Advance > drop down box = Chip , and in there , ( all tho in a daft name ) i should be able to detect the mobo , but it doesn't , all i get my GPU and my hhd drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claes View Post

FWIW, the Aquaero 5 LT is only $60. Probably worth it if you're investing hundreds in fans and a pump.

All tho this hardware , is it controlled my software ?
sykotikman is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:07 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
StillClock1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 259
Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Does it look anything like this? It gives weird names to things.

Hidden Overkill: Strix Z270e Motherboard | i7 7700k | 16 GB 2133MHz HyperX Fury | ROG 1080Ti Poseidon | 360mm + 480mm Black Ice Nemesis Radiators | Custom Case | 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2412M Monitors | Samsung 960 512 GB | HTC Vive
StillClock1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off