Speedfan replacement ? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Speedfan replacement ?

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I have just put together a new PC with I5 8600K and Z370 MSI mobo ,
i have used speedfan for years now , and it is /was the best for me for fine tuning my fans and pumps on my Z97 and 4790k

How ever have noticed that speedfan doesn't work on my mobo ( after trying it ) and the MSI command center is ****e ,
bios fan control isn't much better.

is there any other software like speedfan ?
thanks .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 PM
New001

Could get a hardware fan controller, those are the best and sometimes they look good too biggrin.gif
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 19)
I've wanted the same thing, can't deal with speedfan, it's not updated enough.

Without going totally hardware with aqueros, there are few other options.

NZXT sentry LXE is discontinued, but I used one for years and is awesome! ebay has them, make sure they come with all thermal lines.

the bad side is your thermals won't be exact, just what the probes tell you.

What's your mobo?

ZMT watercool setup -- Phanteks Enthoo Elite -- hwlabs gtr 420 x 2 -- noctua A14 PWM x8 -- d5 pwm -- 9900x -- x299 TUF Mk1
EK Supremacy RGB-- 64gb 3200 tridentZ Royal CL14 -- AX1500i -- 2x 7600p on hyper m.2 VROC 4TB -- EK ZMT Tubing -- Ek Fittings -- dual 1080ti FE -- EK 1080ti Waterblocks -- asus 25" monitors x3 7680x1440 surround
Bertha 5.0
(21 items)
CPU
i7 9900x
Motherboard
X299 TUF Mk1
GPU
GeForce 1080ti FE
GPU
GeForce 1080ti FE
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z
Hard Drive
7600p
Hard Drive
WD Black
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
HWLabs GTR 420 Radiators x2
Cooling
EK 1080Ti waterblock x2
Cooling
EXWB Supremacy RGB
Cooling
EK D5 PWM Revo pump res combo
Cooling
EK X3 Res
Cooling
EK ZMT Tubing
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus pb258q x3
Keyboard
Asus Claymore MX Brown
Mouse
Asus ROG Spatha
Audio
SoundBlasterX AE-5
Other
Asus Hyper M.2
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:24 PM
New001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDC View Post

I've wanted the same thing, can't deal with speedfan, it's not updated enough.

Without going totally hardware with aqueros, there are few other options.

NZXT sentry LXE is discontinued, but I used one for years and is awesome! ebay has them, make sure they come with all thermal lines.

the bad side is your thermals won't be exact, just what the probes tell you. but that's ok

What's your mobo?

You can get much cheaper and simpler fan controllers than aquero, I think thats pretty much the top of the line.

You don't need responsive fans, find a nice setting where performance doesnt suffer and noise is not too much... A whole system of fans ramping up and down is annoying anyway, lock all fans at a set speed and just have CPU fan adjust to temps, GPU fans should do it by themselves.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:58 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 232 (Unique: 175)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post

You can get much cheaper and simpler fan controllers than aquero, I think thats pretty much the top of the line.

You don't need responsive fans, find a nice setting where performance doesnt suffer and noise is not too much... A whole system of fans ramping up and down is annoying anyway, lock all fans at a set speed and just have CPU fan adjust to temps, GPU fans should do it by themselves.
While this approach made sense a few years ago, particularly when nearly every PWM fan clicked, these days you can can perform most idling tasks with fans idling/off. While the difference between 700-900rpm and 300-500rpm isn't that different for most users, it is appreciable for those who identify bearing noise and the like.

I am a Marxist. Not the Sanders/Sweden/state bureacracy kind, but the workers' democratic control over the means of production kind.

I often use the debates I get into on these forums to demonstrate logical fallacies to to my students and debate teams I coach. Beware - your arguments are under scrutiny of adolescents and teenagers!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Forgot about fan controllers but ,
i like the fact that i could set a fan curve with in speedfan ( fans barely turning) while at idle , and a good 70% while gaming and not to loud , but i also had the water pump set with in speedfan too as well giving the same , (barely spinning when at idle and full speed when gaming)

A controller is an option , but i think i have found a happy medium , within the bios , it does ramp up and down quite a bit some times while at idle , but most of all their increases to about 70% while gaming .

Mobo is the z370 MSI carbon
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
I've wrestled with the same question and posted a bunch of places - have yet to find any replacement to Speedfan if you want to control your fans based on CPU and GPU temps (and more).

What, specifically, is giving you trouble? I've gone through some issues with speedfan and got it come around (mostly luck).

I could never get the email/notifications to work in Speedfan but did get HWinfo to provide that for me easily.

As a hybrid of advice above: if you can't get Speedfan to work for you, I would recommend setting some low-but-stable cooling speed in the BIOS and then guarding yourself on the high-temp side by setting triggers in HWinfo to email you/pop-up/shutdown your PC if the temperature hits a certain limit.

Hidden Overkill: Strix Z270e Motherboard | i7 7700k | 16 GB 2133MHz HyperX Fury | ROG 1080Ti Poseidon | 360mm + 480mm Black Ice Nemesis Radiators | Custom Case | 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2412M Monitors | Samsung 960 512 GB | HTC Vive
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 232 (Unique: 175)
FWIW, the Aquaero 5 LT is only $60. Probably worth it if you're investing hundreds in fans and a pump.

I am a Marxist. Not the Sanders/Sweden/state bureacracy kind, but the workers' democratic control over the means of production kind.

I often use the debates I get into on these forums to demonstrate logical fallacies to to my students and debate teams I coach. Beware - your arguments are under scrutiny of adolescents and teenagers!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillClock1 View Post

I've wrestled with the same question and posted a bunch of places - have yet to find any replacement to Speedfan if you want to control your fans based on CPU and GPU temps (and more).

What, specifically, is giving you trouble? I've gone through some issues with speedfan and got it come around (mostly luck).

I could never get the email/notifications to work in Speedfan but did get HWinfo to provide that for me easily.

As a hybrid of advice above: if you can't get Speedfan to work for you, I would recommend setting some low-but-stable cooling speed in the BIOS and then guarding yourself on the high-temp side by setting triggers in HWinfo to email you/pop-up/shutdown your PC if the temperature hits a certain limit.

Speed fan will not detect my mobo ,
I install the software ( speed fan ) click on configure >Advance > drop down box = Chip , and in there , ( all tho in a daft name ) i should be able to detect the mobo , but it doesn't , all i get my GPU and my hhd drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claes View Post

FWIW, the Aquaero 5 LT is only $60. Probably worth it if you're investing hundreds in fans and a pump.

All tho this hardware , is it controlled my software ?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Does it look anything like this? It gives weird names to things.

Hidden Overkill: Strix Z270e Motherboard | i7 7700k | 16 GB 2133MHz HyperX Fury | ROG 1080Ti Poseidon | 360mm + 480mm Black Ice Nemesis Radiators | Custom Case | 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2412M Monitors | Samsung 960 512 GB | HTC Vive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in