Cleaning liquid metal with more liquid metal (IHS and Copper plate) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Cleaning liquid metal with more liquid metal (IHS and Copper plate)

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 32)
Cleaning liquid metal with more liquid metal (IHS and Copper plate)

I just thought it would be useful for people curious about LM and how to clean it up.

Someone suggested to use a bit more LM to clean up between applications.

I'm using it between the IHS and my AIO copper cold plate, so after about one month I wanted to check my first application to see if everything was in order.

I naturally found the usual stain on the copper plate starting to develop.

For science, I tried cleaning the IHS with alcohol and I tried to clean the AIO copper plate with a bit more LM.

So, as expected, the IHS surface turns black with the alcohol and cleaning takes more effort.

On the copper plate adding more LM activated the stain and it all turned shiny and liquid again (was partially dry and partially still liquid before). I got a clean dry cotton pad and removed it all quite easily, also I rubbed on it a bit more with steel wool. The result was that the copper plate had a nice shiny coating, where later on I re applied a fresh paint thick coat before mounting.

So, I strongly suggest you do that. No more alcohol to remove LM.

PC Specs: 3900X - X470 Taichi - TridentZ Neo CJR 64GB 3733Mhz CL16-19-19-19 1T / 1080ti waterforce xtreme - H115i Pro with 4 fans + Lapped IHS + Liquid Metal.
Per CCX OC Settings: 4.5/4.4/4.35/4.35 at 1.33V (1.306V vdroop) Max AIDA64AVX temp 74c balanced AIO (23 room temp)

Last edited by SaccoSVD; 08-16-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:38 PM
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 146 (Unique: 117)
That's interesting... never knew that

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98)
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm gonna update it in about a year from here.

PC Specs: 3900X - X470 Taichi - TridentZ Neo CJR 64GB 3733Mhz CL16-19-19-19 1T / 1080ti waterforce xtreme - H115i Pro with 4 fans + Lapped IHS + Liquid Metal.
Per CCX OC Settings: 4.5/4.4/4.35/4.35 at 1.33V (1.306V vdroop) Max AIDA64AVX temp 74c balanced AIO (23 room temp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
The "stain" is the gallium leaching out of the liquid metal compound into the copper (I think it forms some sort of gallium/copper alloy). Which is also the reason liquid metal "dries up" and needs to be replaced occasionally, the gallium has leached out leaving behind the other drier components in the liquid metal compound.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 386 (Unique: 276)
Quote: Originally Posted by SaccoSVD View Post
I just thought it would be useful for people curious about LM and how to clean it up.

Someone suggested to use a bit more LM to clean up between applications.

I'm using it between the IHS and my AIO copper cold plate, so after about two months I wanted to check my first application to see if everything was in order.

I naturally found the usual stain on the copper plate starting to develop.

For science, I tried cleaning the IHS with alcohol and I tried to clean the AIO copper plate with a bit more LM.

So, as expected, the IHS surface turns black with the alcohol and cleaning takes more effort.

On the copper plate adding more LM activated the stain and it all turned shiny and liquid again (was partially dry and partially still liquid before). I got a clean dry cotton pad and removed it all quite easily, also I rubbed on it a bit more. The result was that the copper plate had a nice shiny coating, where later on I re applied a fresh paint thick coat before mounting.

So, I strongly suggest you do that. No more alcohol to remove LM.
This is pretty interesting.
Basically the hardened layer is leftover indium and tin that hardened because the gallium got absorbed. If you apply more LM, the indium and tin may realloy (there's another better word, but I forgot the word), allowing it to get wiped up again then any gallium leftover is child's play at that point.

definitely worth trying out eventually.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It would be really good to see someone to try this as well with a much older application.

The first one I did on my 1800X after a year looked pretty nasty. CPU and Cooler "glued" together and I had to pry them loose.

I wish I knew this trick back then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in