Best liquid metal and thermal paste - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Best liquid metal and thermal paste

post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 09:38 PM
Facepalm

Rep: 464 (Unique: 322)
Why didn't you guys mention Thermalright TFX? That is a few C better than Kryonaut after it cures a bit.
and for liquid metal, just make your own galinstan and stop wasting money on prepackaged overpriced stuff.
You can make 150 grams of galinstan for $80. Not hard to get the materials (100g Gallium, 40g indium, 10g tin, a crucible and some syringes with needle nose tips is all you need!).

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 10:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 46 (Unique: 41)
What's paste?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	587.5 KB
ID:	363030  

Smallblock Power
(10 items)
CPU
Core i7 10700K
Motherboard
MSI Z490 Unify
GPU
2080ti K|NGP|N
RAM
Patriot Viper Steel 4400
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Power Supply
EVGA 1200 P2
Cooling
5 Radiators
Cooling
2 Pumps
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG
Monitor
Samsung CF791 34"
▲ hide details ▲
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 07:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Liquid Metal (LM) thermal interface materials (TIM) have almost the exact same composition and their claimed thermal conductivity is probably overstated by a factor of two. I did some spectroscopy on some of them 1-1/2 years ago.
LM is still the best thermal interface material you can get at the moment in terms of thermal conductivity and its ability to wick and spread thin, but every time I see or hear and ad for LM with a thermal conductivity called out it irks me to no end.

There is no agreed upon ISO/ANSI/ASME/ASTM standard for testing TIM but there are testing standards for the raw thermal conductivity of a material. These tests basically measure the thermal gradient across a known distance at the center of a sufficiently large surface. It being a liquid/paste makes it a bit more difficult in terms of containment, but not an insurmountable issue. While the amount of TIM required to perform this test is substantial for an individual, why LM TIM companies doesn't just do this is beyond me. Instead they rely on tests that try to measure the thermal conductivity with incredibly thin samples.

Then again, testing TIM by thermal conductivity alone is utter bull. At two interfaces, it is the contact resistance is what really that matters. Ideally, the TIM shouldn't even form a layer, only fill in the troughs in the surface roughness.
However, testing contact resistance gets way more complicated as variables such as particulate sizing in the TIM; surface roughness, hardness, and elasticity of the two interfaces; and contact pressure are all variables that would have to be accounted for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in