Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad

post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad

IC Graphite Thermal Pad – Preliminary

High Performance Thermal Interface Alternative to Thermal Compound for CPU’s, GPU’s and Gamestations.
Available Sizes 30mm X 30mm or 40 X40mm Graphite Thermal Pad

IC Graphite Features:

Top tier thermal performance.
Temperature operating range -200 C to +400C.
Extraordinary durability – Dry solution, contains no liquids so can not pump or bake out like a thermal paste.
Reusable.
Modular solution – No guessing application amount.
No messy clean up.

Characteristics

Thermal Conductivity – 35 W/m-K
Conformable – Gaps interface voids functioning same as thermal Compounds/
Temperature Range: -200°C to 400°C
Thermally Stable Up To 400°C
RoHS Compliant

https://www.innovationcooling.com/pr...e-thermal-pad/

YOUTUBE USEFUL LINKS (just for to be objective...)

Der8auer's Counter to IC Graphite Thermal Pads - Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut

Thermal Pads vs Thermal Paste - Don't try this!

Ask GN 83: IC Graphite Thermal Pads, Worst Products Reviewed

Thermal Pad on a RTX 2080 Ti? - Does it Suck?!?
Attached Images

Last edited by Bride; 02-20-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
I'm pretty surprised using this thermal pad on my LG Gram 15 instead a classic thermal paste. This laptop is equipped with a CPU Intel Core i7-7500U Processor and running P95 in Small FFTs torture test, is sitting on 35 ~ 79 ~ 85 degrees as minimum, average, maximum temperatures. Few hours of activity. I have to say that over the heat sink, between it and the aluminum cover laptop shell, I added a 2 millimeters cheap thermal pad, but as final result, I can say that I'm satisfied. Curious to use this graphite thermal pad, also with my RTX 2080 Super and on the Intel 9900KS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.png
Views:	22
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	327968  

Name:	002.png
Views:	18
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	327970  

Name:	003.png
Views:	21
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	327972  

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 09:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 12)
I think thermal pads would greatly benefit from lapping IHS/heatsync.

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:30 PM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 178 (Unique: 93)
Quote: Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
I think thermal pads would greatly benefit from lapping IHS/heatsync.
You don't need to, currently using 2 of these products together on top of my R3800x and it works perfectly. By having two pieces of Graphene it makes it thicker and able to fill in spaces on the IHS no matter the finish.

The temps are kept moderately low no matter the humidity or dryness in the air. These pads are mine forever, will never be throwing them out.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 05:11 AM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 532 (Unique: 334)
Quote: Originally Posted by Elrick View Post
...By having two pieces of Graphene it makes it thicker and able to fill in spaces on the IHS no matter the finish...
These pads are made of graphite, not graphene. They are far thicker than one molecule.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 06:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Elrick View Post
You don't need to, currently using 2 of these products together on top of my R3800x and it works perfectly. By having two pieces of Graphene it makes it thicker and able to fill in spaces on the IHS no matter the finish.

The temps are kept moderately low no matter the humidity or dryness in the air. These pads are mine forever, will never be throwing them out.
That's an option but heat transfer is directly and inversely related to the distance between both surfaces. Doubling the thickness of the graphene is halving your potential. I don't know how to lap a GPU block... Laping a CPU/CPU block would be a very good idea for these.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
These pads are made of graphite, not graphene. They are far thicker than one molecule.
They don't conform with uneven surfaces nearly as well as thermal paste, unfortunately. They are also much thicker than the inevitable layer of thermal paste which is why they don't really compete. Even with a perfectly lapped pair of surfaces, I doubt these would do better than your average thermal paste.

I'm honestly not sure what niche these products fill. I've never been at want for thermal paste to the point that I've desired a "reusable" thermal solution.

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 11:23 AM
Senioritis Member

That's an option but heat transfer is directly and inversely related to the distance between both surfaces. Doubling the thickness of the graphene is halving your potential. I don't know how to lap a GPU block... Laping a CPU/CPU block would be a very good idea for these.

They don't conform with uneven surfaces nearly as well as thermal paste, unfortunately. They are also much thicker than the inevitable layer of thermal paste which is why they don't really compete. Even with a perfectly lapped pair of surfaces, I doubt these would do better than your average thermal paste.

I'm honestly not sure what niche these products fill. I've never been at want for thermal paste to the point that I've desired a "reusable" thermal solution.
And here we have another "expert" who hasn't tried them saying they won't work well when, in fact, individuals and reviewers who have used them say that they do work. Most report they do not cool quite as well as the better liquid and paste TIMs but that's by only around 2 degrees Centigrade, which is not even close to being enough to negate their advantages, such as not needing to be replaced every so often, being reusable, far easier to correctly apply, etc. Graphite is fairly soft so it can deform to accommodate all but the worst microscopic surface irregularities.

The first video linked did not show any actual tests. It had mostly hype by a manufacturer of a similar product.

The second video was about using conventional thermal pads, not actual graphite pads.

The third video had the hairy dude from the first video saying he was going to test graphite pads someday but also said he had preconceived notions about them.

The fourth video was an actual test of the Carbonaught graphite pads, which had roughly the same results other testers have gotten from IC's version.

Another actual test. this time on an IC pad:
Linus got roughly the same results as the Carbonaut test above.

If one is a gamer that plays on the bleeding edge of technology, then 2 degrees warmer will not be acceptable but, for most people, 2 degrees warmer is no big deal, especially those who prefer to use their computers over tinkering with them, especially if they tend to keep the same build for many years.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Audio
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 12:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

And here we have another "expert" who hasn't tried them saying they won't work well when, in fact, individuals and reviewers who have used them say that they do work. Most report they do not cool quite as well as the better liquid and paste TIMs but that's by only around 2 degrees Centigrade, which is not even close to being enough to negate their advantages, such as not needing to be replaced every so often, being reusable, far easier to correctly apply, etc. Graphite is fairly soft so it can deform to accommodate all but the worst microscopic surface irregularities.

The first video linked did not show any actual tests. It had mostly hype by a manufacturer of a similar product.

The second video was about using conventional thermal pads, not actual graphite pads.

The third video had the hairy dude from the first video saying he was going to test graphite pads someday but also said he had preconceived notions about them.

The fourth video was an actual test of the Carbonaught graphite pads, which had roughly the same results other testers have gotten from IC's version.

Another actual test. this time on an IC pad:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpphKzmDiJM Linus got roughly the same results as the Carbonaut test above.

If one is a gamer that plays on the bleeding edge of technology, then 2 degrees warmer will not be acceptable but, for most people, 2 degrees warmer is no big deal, especially those who prefer to use their computers over tinkering with them, especially if they tend to keep the same build for many years.
And here we another internet "expert" radicalizing a post, making an argument against the imagined extreme connotations, and then restating main points form the original posts as if they were original thoughts, for what, internet points?

But all internet emotions aside, you basically just said the same thing I said.

I think where we differ is our subjective opinions on the advantages vs disadvantages. I personally don't think a conductive pad that can only be used exclusively on one CPU or one GPU and performs worse than paste (but costs about the same) is ever going to take the market by storm. I agree that most users not using "bleeding edge" technology can use a graphite pad just fine, but beyond the gimmick factor, why would they? A better performing tube of paste that can be used on a CPU, a GPU, another CPU, a CPU again, and then sit in a draw for years unused / unneeded (like my tube of AS5 from 7 years ago) just makes more sense.

Really stretching my mind, I can conceivably see these being useful for repair shops or in an extreme case of troubleshooting that requires multiple re-mounts, but that's a narrow niche...

Maybe servers? Do servers have an inherent issue with having to replace TIM so often that this would be needed? I would think hardware would be getting upgraded before TIM is needing to be replaced... I don't know. The long term stability may be a valid advantage, I just don't know who needs it.

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 12:45 PM
Senioritis Member

And here we another internet "expert" radicalizing a post, making an argument against the imagined extreme connotations, and then restating main points form the original posts as if they were original thoughts, for what, internet points?

But all internet emotions aside, you basically just said the same thing I said.

I think where we differ is our subjective opinions on the advantages vs disadvantages. I personally don't think a conductive pad that can only be used exclusively on one CPU or one GPU and performs worse than paste (but costs about the same) is ever going to take the market by storm. I agree that most users not using "bleeding edge" technology can use a graphite pad just fine, but beyond the gimmick factor, why would they? A better performing tube of paste that can be used on a CPU, a GPU, another CPU, a CPU again, and then sit in a draw for years unused / unneeded (like my tube of AS5 from 7 years ago) just makes more sense.

Really stretching my mind, I can conceivably see these being useful for repair shops or in an extreme case of troubleshooting that requires multiple re-mounts, but that's a narrow niche...

Maybe servers? Do servers have an inherent issue with having to replace TIM so often that this would be needed? I would think hardware would be getting upgraded before TIM is needing to be replaced... I don't know. The long term stability may be a valid advantage, I just don't know who needs it.
Sigh! You completely missed the point. Go ahead, believe what you want. I'm tired of trying to explain things to people with closed minds.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Audio
Audio
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
Other
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 01:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Sigh! You completely missed the point. Go ahead, believe what you want. I'm tired of trying to explain things to people with closed minds.
No I got it, I just don't agree. But if you're going to quote me and call me a wanabe "expert", don't invalidate my original points of argument by restating my original points of argument as your original points

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in