The AMD How To Thread - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The AMD How To Thread

post #21 of 439 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

When you uninstalled, it asks if you want to save your settings in the case that you are upgrading. Did you choose yes to that option? I would uninstall and choose NO, to do a clean install of afterburner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 439 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

When you uninstalled, it asks if you want to save your settings in the case that you are upgrading. Did you choose yes to that option? I would uninstall and choose NO, to do a clean install of afterburner.

Yep I checked no, and it deleted the user data, but I didn't reboot after the uninstall. I will try it again this afternoon.
Thanks

Domininja
post #23 of 439 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 56)
Hey guys, MSI 7850 owner here. I have voltage problems. I am unable to either set, or view, voltages in MSI AB. Doesn't even display the voltage. I have installed the patch, as well as enabled unofficial mode in the .cfg. Wondering if theres anything else I can do?

I have also noticed that the card seems to be running at lower than stock voltage when viewed in GPUZ. Like, 1.075v. Furthermore, it seems it defaults to 860 Core when the core is supposed to be 950. Not an issue, as it bumps up to 950 fine. But i'm wondering if the possibly lowered voltage could be causing some instability when I try to go past what it should be? Or is GPUZ simply reading the voltage incorrectly?

I have also tried evga precision. I am also planning on trying gpu tweak.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 439 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

^^Something both of you guys can do is open the patch with 7zip/winzip and extract the files directly to the afterburner directory. AB can access the files directly from there as it was coded that way in 2.2.1.

Iirc, Evga Precision and Gputweak are all based on the same code, Rivatuner which is the same for Afterburner. Something all the 3rd party apps even Trixx, requires are the clock/voltage control files. The crux of the issue is that AMD removed those files since 12.xx drivers and problems arise from us adding that support back in. The other issue is that there seems to be a rising problem with supposedly voltage locked cards from a variety of brands from 78xx to 79xx. I don't know if it is indeed hardware related or user issue. Do all these steps and cover your bases, and if you still are without voltage control there's really not much left to do software wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domininja View Post

Quote:

Yep I checked no, and it deleted the user data, but I didn't reboot after the uninstall. I will try it again this afternoon.
Thanks

After you uninstall, you can make sure it's clean by deleting the afterburner directory. Then you can reinstall, and then go about the process editing the cfg file.

post #25 of 439 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

^^Something both of you guys can do is open the patch with 7zip/winzip and extract the files directly to the afterburner directory. AB can access the files directly from there as it was coded that way in 2.2.1.
Iirc, Evga Precision and Gputweak are all based on the same code, Rivatuner which is the same for Afterburner. Something all the 3rd party apps even Trixx, requires are the clock/voltage control files. The crux of the issue is that AMD removed those files since 12.xx drivers and problems arise from us adding that support back in. The other issue is that there seems to be a rising problem with supposedly voltage locked cards from a variety of brands from 78xx to 79xx. I don't know if it is indeed hardware related or user issue. Do all these steps and cover your bases, and if you still are without voltage control there's really not much left to do software wise.
After you uninstall, you can make sure it's clean by deleting the afterburner directory. Then you can reinstall, and then go about the process editing the cfg file.

Does it have to be a specific driver or version?
I'm using AMD's 12.11 beta drivers and MSI AF ver. 2.2.5 beta 1 if that makes a difference.

Domininja
post #26 of 439 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 56)
Thanks amigo. Thats pretty much what I figured. I've had cards in the past that did not let me play with voltage, or certain sliders, etc. I know the software can only do so much and past that its "problems" with the hardware itself. I just like to confirm theres nothing wrong with my cards when I experiences issues such as those. When its only my card, somethings not right, but when its other peoples cards as well, I know that its just how it is and theres nothing I can do past a point.

I also learned that with this particular model of MSI Twin Frozr, the stock speeds ARE actually lower than the OC version. It SHOULD be 860/1200mhz, so I am no longer worried on that front. It just took me a bit to figure out there existed a separate, distinct, OC version; I thought mine was the OC version all along. Perhaps then the voltage SHOULD be lower, as its perhaps a newer revision or w/e (yes, I know AMD does not have revision #s, but they most definitely release different "revisions", as evidenced by the people who suddenly got 7870s with a new power pin!).

Something interesting: I got voltage to "show" in GPU tweak. It allows me to go all the way up to 1.225V, which is nice considering the stock seems to be 1.075V. That gives me quite a bit of room, although not an insane amount. Still though, GPU Tweak is NOT my favorite program. In fact I find it to be one of the worst along with Trixx (I have had nothing but issues with Sapphires software). My #1 is precision, #2 Riva Tuner, #3 anything else. So, if you are correct and precision/gpu tweak are based around the same, I wonder then if theres a way to get clocks/volts to appear in precision? Interesting stuff.

I wonder then if RivaTuner will let me play with voltages, or if i'll have a similar problem considering MSI AB is based on RT (as far as I know).

Also man another question regarding the patch: You said just drop the files into the AB folder, yes? Two questions regarding that:

1) By files, you mean FILE (singular) right? the only file I got in the patch was an exe that I ran. Should I just be dropping that in? There was no readme and the thread is not very clear. If you are correct, maybe thats why it wasn't helping much!
2) does it matter if the AB folder is located in C:\Program Files\MSI AB etc? Or should I try and make the install directly as C:\MSI AB, right in the C: directory?

And again, thanks for your previous help amigo. If nothing further, you've at least given me some more stuff to figure out before I totally write off voltage control!

post #27 of 439 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Something interesting: I got voltage to "show" in GPU tweak. It allows me to go all the way up to 1.225V, which is nice considering the stock seems to be 1.075V.

Excellent. We know it isn't voltage locked. You're just having trouble accessing the controller.

Btw, I extracted the dlls from RC11, aka 11.12 beta drivers. These have been my favorite drivers for as long as I remember. They have perfect voltage and clock control, no high idle clocks, no flickering, no desktop crashing, notta.

You can extract the files and drop them into the afterburner folder. When I get a chance later I will update the thread with these files.

RC11 dlls.zip 338k .zip file
Quote:
Does it have to be a specific driver or version?
I'm using AMD's 12.11 beta drivers and MSI AF ver. 2.2.5 beta 1 if that makes a difference.

Driver version regarding what? I'm not sure I follow your question.

Quote:
2) does it matter if the AB folder is located in C:\Program Files\MSI AB etc? Or should I try and make the install directly as C:\MSI AB, right in the C: directory?

When AB is installed in the default directory, that directory and all folders in it are protected. For ex. you don't have direct access to the cfg files, so you have to grant yourself rights to it before you can edit it. If you read the install process, I go over this point and do recommend you instal AB somewhere else for this reason.

post #28 of 439 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

I installed GPU Tweak, and I am able to monitor the voltages, but the voltage slider is not there. Does this mean that my card does not support voltage control?

Thanks

EDIT: The only program which lets me adjust voltages us Sapphire TRIXX but it only allows me to go up to 1175 mV which litterally does nothing. Plus, im not even sure if it actually sets the voltage.

Domininja
post #29 of 439 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domininja View Post

I installed GPU Tweak, and I am able to monitor the voltages, but the voltage slider is not there. Does this mean that my card does not support voltage control?

Thanks

EDIT: The only program which lets me adjust voltages us Sapphire TRIXX but it only allows me to go up to 1175 mV which litterally does nothing. Plus, im not even sure if it actually sets the voltage.

Probably for all intents and purposes. It's crazy why the chose to make a small but significant change. HIS probably did this for a purpose. Were you looking for a reference card when you bought it?

There is something though that may be a possibility. Editing the string that controls the voltage. It's in one of the threads you necro'd on guru.

post #30 of 439 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 05:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 80 (Unique: 72)
Thanks for making this thread tsm. I've been pulling my hair out after switching to an SSD and doing a clean windows install. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't change the clocks with MSI Afterburner like I had previously. Found this thread and saw that I was missing the AMD clock control files. doh.gif Now all is good and OC'd again. thumb.gif

Someone needs to make this a sticky as the other is a bit out dated. Plus this thread has more options for OC'ing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in