Intermittent HDMI Audio Output on 7970 - 12.8 Drivers - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Intermittent HDMI Audio Output on 7970 - 12.8 Drivers

post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
SOLVED: Follow this guide and increase your 2D clocks to 500MHz: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117633

I'm having an issue with the latest drivers in which HDMI audio intermittently cuts off during video and music playback. However, audio plays just fine for video games. Additionally, the issue doesn't arise until I either restart or wake up from sleep after installing the drivers. I've reinstalled a few times and the issue is there even with the 12.7 Beta Drivers.

I've made sure the correct default device is selected (audio for games plays correctly) and have the latest ATI drivers for HDMI (12.8). I guess I could update the Realtek drivers but last time it made it worse by not even showing the audio output device under Sound Devices (might be fixed in latest version, I will give it a try later today).

I'm connected to a receiver (which isn't the problem as it happens too when connected straight to the TV and game audio works fine) that displays a Dolby Digital symbol when HDMI Audio is connected and I can see it blinking every second or so when the issue happens.

I was just wondering if anyone here has run into this issue and has found a way to fix it. Thanks!

Edit: Is there a way to rollback only the HDMI Drivers in the ATI Catalyst Package? I know I can go to Custom and uninstall them alone, but going into Custom when installing forces me to install most of everything (including the drivers). I was hoping installing the HDMI Drivers included in 12.4 would fix the issue, as those were working for me. Also, what happens if I uninstall the HDMI Drivers and don't reinstall?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Anyone else having this problem, I've found a workaround. If you have a game running and minimize it, all audio playback should work. I'm guessing bumping up the 2D clock speeds should fix this issue. Could anyone point me to a good guide on how to do this? I'm guessing I'll need third-party software but if not, I'd prefer that method. Thanks!

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hey - since updating to 12.8 my audio has been experiencing issues with my sharp hd tv using hdmi.

Windows sounds and youtube videos dont play sound but playing 3d games does. If I remove all the amd drivers and ccc and let windows install the audio drivers for my card then the sound worked but when i reinstall ccc and get updated to 12.8 it starts happening again.

No idea how to fix this, I am using TRIXX to oc and currently run at 1200/1600 oc.

really getting angry.

advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

I tried the process in your link and my clocks won't change when I edit the profile and save. They remain at 300. my hdmi audio onyl works in 3d games.

These drivers blow.

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 20)
Hi - I am having the same audio problem since installing 12.8. I tried completely uninstalling it and going back to 12.6, but that didn't resolve it. Also, updated the Retek audio drivers and that didn't help.

Let me know if you find a solution
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 08:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Try this fix. Go into CCC and My Digital flat panels then enable LCD overdrive and disable it. The sound should than work normaly.

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 12:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

That seems to have fixed the problem - wow I would have never thought the fix could be that simple. I had tried everything!

Thanks - +rep!! thumb.gif
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Just an update: When I turn off my TV & Reciever or restart my computer, the sound defaults back to speakers instead of staying set to HDMI/AMD
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 05:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonalka View Post

That seems to have fixed the problem - wow I would have never thought the fix could be that simple. I had tried everything!
Thanks - +rep!! thumb.gif

Yes me neither. I did reported this problem to AMD and it is kind of sad that they still haven't fixed this problem. I had this problem since I updated from 12.4 to 12.6 and continues till now on 12.8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonalka View Post

Just an update: When I turn off my TV & Reciever or restart my computer, the sound defaults back to speakers instead of staying set to HDMI/AMD

You have to do this every time you start your TV or restart your PC.

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

I'm gonna sell mine on ebay and get a 680. AMD hasn't even responded to me help question.

F AMD.

The first and last card I will buy from them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in