TUTORIAL! on fixing a Noisy/Grinding XFX RADEON HD6870 FAN (NOTE: NO rubber plug in the back!) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

TUTORIAL! on fixing a Noisy/Grinding XFX RADEON HD6870 FAN (NOTE: NO rubber plug in the back!)

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
OK hello peeps.
First of all this morning my XFX RADEON HD6870 the fan started acting up(sounded like a dried out fan bearing) and when i took out the fan peeled away the circle sticker there was no RUBBER PLUG i was like eek.gif

TUTORIAL ON HOW I SOLVED THE NOISE PROBLEM

TOOLS NEEDED

I used the HDD magnet to magnetize the screwdriver because i did not want any screws falling back inside of the card , that would of bin a headache if one of those screws got caught between the heat sink fins.

REMOVING THE MOUNTING SCREWS

NOTE u don't have to take apart the whole video card just to get to the fan. HERE IS ALL THE MOUNTING SCREWS for removing the fan
just keep turning the fan blade to clear the screw heads so u can get to them

FAN IS REMOVED

I took the surgical blade and just nicked the edge of the sticker peeled it off and i was shocked to see NO RUBBER PLUG

There was this HARD PLASTIC BACKING cover looking thing

Then i took the SURGICAL BLADE and create a starting point for the drill bit because i did not want the bit to go sliding all over the place.
SO while carefully drilling this was the result, I got to see the the SHAFT, I then dropped some oil inside and finger spun the blade for the oil to penetrate into the bearings

LAST THING to do was cleaned out the excess oil,place back the sticker installed back the fan with the 3 screws ''BE CARE FULL NOT TO STRIP THE THREADS'' and then ur all finished!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 33)
lol never got any replies, i think its because its just for 1 model according to the title.. but i bet it works for many ,yeah?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 06:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
This just saved me, thank you! My 6850's fan had all but stopped moving entirely, and the people at my computer store were telling me either to get a whole new gpu, or some ridiculously huge, expensive heat sink/fan combo that would've barely fit in my case. I'd taken the whole thing apart, but I was just kinda afraid to jab into the back of the fan and end up /having/ to buy new parts.. After seeing this, I knifed into the back of the thing with no worries, and now my fan is happier than I can remember it being in the past half-year. I can play games again for more than 20 minutes at a time, hooray! biggrin.gif
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 87)
You saved my behind. Thank you.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I do not want to revive a dead thread but im currently experiecing the same issue.

Before my fan completetly stopped it was malfunctioning. The temp reading for my GPU were high and when i tried to force the fan to spin manually i noticed some resistance. I am planning in trying this out but im unsecure of what exactly to do in the last part. How will this help the fan to respond again and pretty much fix my GPU.

I have another plan in case this one seems to be too complicated or not helping. It is purchasing a case fan and make it blow directly to the GPU.

I hope anyone can clear my doubts and help me out with this one. I already submitted a warranty report but no responses so far.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izanex View Post

This just saved me, thank you! My 6850's fan had all but stopped moving entirely, and the people at my computer store were telling me either to get a whole new gpu, or some ridiculously huge, expensive heat sink/fan combo that would've barely fit in my case. I'd taken the whole thing apart, but I was just kinda afraid to jab into the back of the fan and end up /having/ to buy new parts.. After seeing this, I knifed into the back of the thing with no worries, and now my fan is happier than I can remember it being in the past half-year. I can play games again for more than 20 minutes at a time, hooray! biggrin.gif
HEY budd sorry i took so long to reply glad it worked out. i still got mine running strong and its working awesome....
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedvender View Post

You saved my behind. Thank you.

LOL aweosme bud glad to help. I was in the same position!! AND ITS STILL going strong
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
I had my fan make some loud noises last week. Luckily it was gone after I had cleaned it with compressed air. But will probably need this fix in the future tongue.gif
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisjak View Post

I had my fan make some loud noises last week. Luckily it was gone after I had cleaned it with compressed air. But will probably need this fix in the future tongue.gif
glad hear that this is goin to be a help smile.gif BTW its how log has it bin since i did that and man SHE STILL RUNS QUIET!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in