Overclock.net banner

Do you want UEFI Gop on your 7950/7970? I can add it to your bios!!

194K views 451 replies 163 participants last post by  mikeconnelly 
#1 ·
After much trial and error I have finally worked out how to add UEFI Gop to a 7950/7970 bios

I tested this because my powercolor 7950 has 2 bios, 1 normal and 1 boost but only boost bios had uefi gop, so after some comparing and some failed attempts I have successfully added uefi gop to my non boost bios!!

So does anyone want to supply me with their bios and I can add uefi gop to it for testing??

My idea with this thread is first some initial testing then if all goes well I will write up a how to so everyone can do it for themselves

So if anyone wants to put their bios on here for me to add uefi gop I will give it a try, please note though to make a back up of your bios before flashing my modded bios and I recommend only those with dual bios to test just in case I will not be the blame for problems and bricked cards so flash at your own risk.

If posting a bios for me to edit please let me know the exact card that the bios has come from (link to the makers website of it if you can) and also let me know the stock core and memory clock. Without this I cannot help

Here are some tested and working bios:

PowerColor 7950 PCS+ Stock Clocks with UEFI (Mod By Me) 800MHz core:

PowerColor 7950 Stock.zip 106k .zip file

PowerColor 7950 PCS+ Boost Clocks with UEFI (Supplied by PowerColor) 925MHz core:

PowerColor 7950 Boost.zip 106k .zip file

Sapphire 7950 11196-00 with UEFI (Mod By Me) 810MHz core:
Removed temporarily for testing

MSI 7970 TFIII with UEFI (Supplied by MSI):

7950.TFIII.UEFI.zip 102k .zip file

MSI 7970 Lightning with UEFI (Supplied by MSI):

170_180.zip 208k .zip file

If you have a Gigabyte card please check the downloads section on the Gigabyte website first as they have a few on there

To Flash Bios:

For full tutorial on how to backup and flash there is a good guide by KaRLiToS here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1353325/tutorial-atiwinflash-how-to-flash-the-bios-of-your-ati-cards

For those wanting to do their own mods please see here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1389206/do-you-want-uefi-gop-on-your-7950-7970-i-can-add-it-to-your-bios/120#post_20172963

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have an MSI Radeon 7950 with Twin Frozr III and it is pretty solid as it is, OC of 1200/1575. Will this BIOS increase my overclocking headroom or is it purely to say you can. I haven't really had issues with my BIOS, it is voltage unlocked and everything. Also it is the 7950 PCB (aka boost edition) not the 7970 PCB version. Basically, what can this BIOS mod do for me?

Also my motherboard actually has errors (sometimes boots then hangs or just boots and black screens) booting with my card sometimes, I know UEFI GOP can sometime solve this on motherboards with fastboot and CSM like mine. I'm willing to try anything that will fix this, I do have the dual BIOS switch on my card. Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedytech7 View Post

I have an MSI Radeon 7950 with Twin Frozr III and it is pretty solid as it is, OC of 1200/1575. Will this BIOS increase my overclocking headroom or is it purely to say you can. I haven't really had issues with my BIOS, it is voltage unlocked and everything. Also it is the 7950 PCB (aka boost edition) not the 7970 PCB version. Basically, what can this BIOS mod do for me?

Also my motherboard actually has errors booting with my card sometimes, I know UEFI GOP can sometime solve this on motherboards with fastboot like mine. Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Basically UEFI Gop will allow you to use the Ultra Fast Boot option on newer motherboards if running Windows 8

This mod will have no ill effects at all to any bios as its only adding extra code to allow UEFI Gop it doesn't modify or remove anything else

#5 ·
Quote:

Okay, I'm willing to give it a try. What program do you suggest I use to pull the BIOS for you. Let me know, I'll do it as soon as I get home.
AtiWinflash as you will need that to reflash will work, or GPUZ pulled mine without a hitch

#6 ·
I read up on UEFI GOP... Pardon my multi posting.... so essentially you are going to take my BIOS and add on the code for the GOP abilities but my BIOS will be otherwise unchanged? Also do you want the BIOS from the switch in position 1 or 2 or both?

#7 ·
Quote:

I read up on UEFI GOP... Pardon my multi posting.... so essentially you are going to take my BIOS and add on the code for the GOP abilities but my BIOS will be otherwise unchanged? Also do you want the BIOS from the switch in position 1 or 2 or both?
Exactly!

Well what is difference between your 2 bios? I guess one is with higher clocks?

Send both if you like but make sure I know which is which and what the stock clocks are for each

Thanks!

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftln View Post

Can you share your technique of adding uefi gop support to bios please ?
I would like to test more before making a full write up but basically you add uefi to the end of the bios and then change a string in the header to let the bios know the uefi code is there

EDIT: If you supply me a bios I can edit it for you to test then if it works you can hex compare to see the changes...

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstears View Post

I would like to test more before making a full write up but basically you add uefi to the end of the bios and then change a string in the header to let the bios know the uefi code is there

EDIT: If you supply me a bios I can edit it for you to test then if it works you can hex compare to see the changes...
Bios attached 2 post above, are you busy ? I would like to try now if possible
smile.gif

#11 ·

Attachments

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftln View Post

Ok all has worked, just gonna check my volts etc etc
So you can confirm UEFI Gop is 100% working with ultra fast boot?

Also please list your exact card and its stock clocks so I can add the bios to first post

#17 ·

Attachments

#20 ·
Quote:

Gonna test it now, wish me luck
biggrin.gif
It should be fine but its 2.10am here so need to go soon so if you could let me know sooner rather than later I may be able to help you out quick tonight

#22 ·
Quote:

I flashed it and my monitors went black. I rebooted and it all came up just fine but I think AtiWinFlash crashed, any other flashing programs?
How did you flash? Don't use the GUI follow the guide on the first post to flash by cmd prompt...

#24 ·
Holy crap man! You're my savior. I just got Windows 8 installed via UEFI and was excited to try it. Lo an behold my stupid 7970 doesn't support it.

I'm actually using the 7970 -> Ghz edition bios and if you can mod it I'd be happy to test it.

GHz edition","size":41,"type":"zip"}}" huddler_plugin="attachment">
GHz edition">ATI.HD7970.3072.120628.zip 41k .zip file

Attachments

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbob102000 View Post

Holy crap man! You're my savior. I just got Windows 8 installed via UEFI and was excited to try it. Lo an behold my stupid 7970 doesn't support it.

I'm actually using the 7970 -> Ghz edition bios and if you can mod it I'd be happy to test it.

GHz edition","size":41,"type":"zip"}}" huddler_plugin="attachment">
GHz edition">ATI.HD7970.3072.120628.zip 41k .zip file
Here is your modded bios:

ATI.HD7970.3072.120628.modded.zip 106k .zip file

Please let me know if it works, is this bios just the standard amd ghz bios or is it specific to any vendor like msi/sapphire etc?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.