I've been working on trying to OC my ASUS 7970 DC2 Top since I first got it, and have seen others having success with cross-flashing to the Matrix bios. I've been working with five Matrix Bios revisions posted at TechPowerUp's ASUS 7970 Video BIOS Collection
I've been able to flash both bios to my DC2T, but I keep running into errors loading the drivers (only when card is flashed with a Matrix bios). Here is what I've learned so far.
It took me some site to research this info below, so I thought I would share it.
1) I can flash with the bios switch in first or second position (First position is towards the DVI ports and Second position is towards the PCI-E Power), so there is no locked bios on my card as others have reported.
2) Position 1 is for dual link DVI (2560x1400 res and higher) and Position 2 is for single link DVI x2.
3) The bios ending in U2 is for Position one and U3 is for Position two. for example, here are the latest DC2T bios:6722.214.171.124.2.AS01.U2
is the latest DC2T bios for Position 1 / dual link DVI67126.96.36.199.2.AS01.U3
is the latest DC2T bios for Position 2 / single link DVI x2
4) There is a UEFI GOP bios for the DC2T reportedly working, but appears to be the U2 / single link DVI x2 variety:
Bios Revision - 67188.8.131.52.1.AS04.U2
File name - Asus.HD7970.3072.120718.rom
Version - 015.017.000.001.000000
5) Again, here
you will find the five Matrix bios I tired, in both positions. Just remember which position, or U2/U3 bios version you will need:
Position 1 / dual link DVI, 6798HB.184.108.40.206.AS01.U2
Position 2 / single link DVI x2, 6798HB.220.127.116.11.AS01.U3
6) Now that I've shared this info, I'm hoping other DC2T and maybe some brave DC2 owners might want to give it a try. First back up your original bios! This is easily done with GPU-Z. As for flashing the bios, you can use a bootable USB to DOS flash using ATIflash, or from windows using the command prompt in admin mode, and using winflash to flash your bios. If you break a bios, just boot with the switch in the opposite position, then flip the switch back to the broken bios prior to flashing the backup bios you already created and saved.
KaRLiToS has a nice winflash tutorial
The bios flashing command will be: atiwinflash -f -p 0 "NAME of the BIOS".rom
I've got an older tutorial on DOS flashing
which includes ATIflash that will help.
The DOS flashing command will be: atiflash -f -p 0 "NAME of the BIOS".rom
7) Last, if anyone with a Matrix bios stumbles in here, please post a copy of your card's bios (at least from position 1 / U2). I would like to test a few more bios and see if I can make this crossflash work as others have reported.
Here is one example of it working with a DC2T: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=376491
Bios position switch and what the difference is between the dual link DVI and single link DVI x2:Useful tools/softwareATIflash courtesy of techPowerUp
make bootable USB (linked above) and at c: type
atiflash -f -p 0 "NAME of the BIOS".rom [hit enter]Winflash courtesy of techPowerUp
flash command after running command prompt as admin:
cd c:\winflash [hit enter]
atiwinflash -f -p 0 "NAME of the BIOS".rom [hit enter]techPowerUp bios for all available ASUS 7970 CardsVideo Bios CollectionASUS Republic of GamersGPU tweak 2.2.14 courtesy of ROG ForumsUpdate ::May 12 2013::
Here are some "must read" posts in the thread:
1) DJ_OXyGeNe_8's post with winflash package containing Matrix Platinum and Matrix non-Platinum bios (not found on Techpowerup)
note the bios already within the winflash folder are matrix.rom
2) my post showing GPU-Z errors when the bios does not take
3) DJ_OXyGeNe_8's post showing how to unlock extra OCing features in GPU Tweak 2.1.4
4) twisted1's post discussing bios version shipping with Top allowing full voltage control with GPU Tweak 2.1.4
5) twisted1's post showing DC2/DC2T and Matrix PCBsUpdate ::May 1 2013:: Had to quote the post::
Update :: May 24 2013 ::
Originally Posted by DJ_OXyGeNe_8
And from experiences what I understand;
Old DCU II and DCU II top with 015.012.00
... bios can be unlocked with GPU Tweak 18.104.22.168
New DCU II Top with 015.023.000
.. bios can't be unlocked. But with the same bios number DCU II (non top) can be unlocked. With DCU II bios, DCU II Top can be unlocked.
DCU II Top with new bios can turn Matrix, but 1.256V limited.
There is now a bios editing tool that works for HD7000 series cards (for more info, jump to post #105)
Originally Posted by twisted1
Ok, finally got around to doing some testing with the Dc2T card.
Tried all Matrix bioses, all does the same thing. Windows wont recognize the card, says displaydriver is not installed. Did it properly with fresh OS install(w7 HomePremium X64 SP1) and complete wipe/clean of AMD drivers. Conclusion, Matrix bioses is a no go on my card. And most likely on other 015.012 cards.
The powercolor vortex bios flashed fine, no problems at all. Except locked voltage in AB/Trixx. Did not try the modded trixx cuz I didn't find it and ran out of patience
Did try a few different versions of AB/trixx tho.
Modded my stock bios to allow +50 powertarget though. That will help overclocking both mem and GPU to the limit at the same time. You might have noticed that it's hard to max OC both gpu and mem w/o getting stability issues, higher powertarget(in essence higher TDP) should help with that.
Thanks to DJ_OXyGeNe_8 and twisted1 for not just helping me, but for adding considerably to this thread. DC2, DC2 Top, Matrix and Matrix Platinum owners have a lot to gain by reading through this thread because of their help!