[POLL] AMD 7950: Gigabyte or Msi - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Which AMD 7950 manufacturer do you prefer?
MSI R7950 8 72.73%
Gigabyte GV-R795WF3 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[POLL] AMD 7950: Gigabyte or Msi

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 14 (Unique: 9)
MSI R7950

Gigabyte GV-R795WF3

Where have all the flowers gone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger go_quote.gif

Ah, but the speed. The speed, my friend, will take you and teach you it's ways, and then you will have been seduced by the SSD. And you will sucumb to it's power and buy more GB. This truth is inevitable. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Gigabyte vote from me... why ? i like their cooler better...but that is just me...
A very important factor is who uses the best ram chips... and in these editions i do not know who biggrin.gif
Perhaps someone else knows

Given the choice, whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire; or to challenge the fates for another throw - a better throw - against one's destiny... what was a king to do? But does one even truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Both of them are awesome variants of HD 7950. But I have personally preferred MSI for few reasons, namely I found cooling to be a little more efficient as they use really good heat sinks and heat pipes and they simply look better IMO rolleyes.gif

Also correct me if I am wrong, but wont a card having 3 cooling fans consume a tad bit more power than one with 2? (Excuse me if that sounded foolish, LOL biggrin.gif)

Finally my vote goes to MSI thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyzar View Post

Gigabyte vote from me... why ? i like their cooler better...but that is just me...
A very important factor is who uses the best ram chips... and in these editions i do not know who biggrin.gif
Agreed. Also, for a while (not sure if this is still the case) the Gigabyte card was about $40 cheaper

Quote:

Ah, but the speed. The speed, my friend, will take you and teach you it's ways, and then you will have been seduced by the SSD. And you will sucumb to it's power and buy more GB. This truth is inevitable. 
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

And the GV looks pretty awesome with all the fans going

Quote:

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Old C-130 Guy

Rep: 264 (Unique: 196)
For me neither!!

I looked at a lot of cards before purchasing a pair of Powercolor 7950 PCS+ cards. Some very good reviews, very good cooler that runs oh so quiet.. Cards have unlocked voltage and clock very well.

All this is a huge seller, but the big one is a Black PCB??? MSI uses a very ugly brown PCB and that Sapphire blue does not work for me... lol
At the time of my purchase the cards were $209 with a $30 MIR?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131458

AMD 3700X w/Swiftech Apogee XL waterblock | Asus Crosshair VII Hero | Powercolor Vega 64 w/EK waterblock | G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200mhz, cl14 Ram @ 3466, 14-14-14-28 | Samsung 970 Evo 1tb NVMe, 860 Evo 1tb, 2x 850 Evo 500gb SSD's | Seasonic Prime Ultra 750w PSU | Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic case | Pixio New PX277 27", 144hz, 1440p, Free Sync IPS monitor | Asus 24" for monitoring temp and such | Razer BlackWidow Ultimate, DeathAdder keyboard & Mouse | Custom water loop, Hardware Labs Blackice Extreme 360mm radiators, Laing DDC 3.1 pump mounted to a Aquacomputer Aqualis 150ml res., 6/120mm fans in push/pull.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 73 (Unique: 59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyzar View Post

Read in a thread yesterday (unsourced) that Asus and Sapphire are using Hynix, Gigabyte and MSI are using Elpida. In that case, the Asus or the Sapphire would be the better picks.

My Biases:
-(Center to center-right) meritocratic libertarianism isn't a perfect system of government, but it's as good as we're going to do.
-Any entities--public or private--powerful enough to give people everything they want are also powerful enough to enslave them.
-Pride and shame should be based on one's accomplishments (or lack thereof) rather than uncontrollable identity characteristics.
-Intel and Nvidia are companies staffed by great engineers; they are usually managed by anticompetitive, immoral reptilians.
-AMD is a company staffed by great engineers; they are usually managed by five-year-olds with ADHD.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 17)
On the cooler alone I'd pick the MSI, I've got that same cooler on my 570 and at least on that card it does a great job with temps barely over 60 and 35 at idle, and it's quiet.

http://uk.msi.com/product/vga/N570GTX-Twin-Frozr-III-Power-Edition-OC.html

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaudioz View Post

On the cooler alone I'd pick the MSI, I've got that same cooler on my 570 and at least on that card it does a great job with temps barely over 60 and 35 at idle, quiet

Ha agreed. I'd remove it and put it on my CPU if I could wheee.gif

Quote:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Bump handlebarssmiley.png

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in