Bluescreen error 0xa0000001 with amd 290x - Page 8 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Bluescreen error 0xa0000001 with amd 290x

post #71 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 06:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx9e02 View Post

I have the Sapphire reference card. As for the bsod... its really really random - I rarely get it on youtube / flash, the only time it's actually happened when browsing has been just loading up google or gmail. Most times, it would crash sitting at the desktop after I had walked away for 10-15 minutes. In games, it would crash about 1-2 times per day in WoW, maybe once every few weeks in Diablo 3, never in Civ 5, never in Guild Wars 2, within 15 minutes every single time in Risk of Rain ($2 steam game), etc. I mentioned above, another time was just me typing in a Steam conversation and it crashed.

I ran it with PT1 bios before I RMA'd back in May and I got no bsods from that. I asked Sapphire if they were able to send me a bios that would bump up the 2D clocks (not entirely disable like PT1) so that there would be some form of power saving/less heat vs. PT1, but Althon Micro (Sapphire's USA RMA) said they wouldn't be able to do that.

I am thinking the graphically low-end games you named crashes because they do not tax high end cards, although civ5 doesn't seem to tax the gpu either and it doesn't crash for you. I noticed this civ5 has a very peculiar way of submitting gpu work, where very coarse batches of work appear unlike other games. Maybe the usage pattern doesn't trigger the bsod for whichever reason. I think, like you, I will also just keep the card for now, and hope it's fine later if I decide to upgrade...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
I have a similar problem. I get occasional bsod's, mostly when playing csgo but a few times while using chrome. It only happens maybe once every 3 days or so but it is still annoying. I am using the 290, not the 290x.

post #73 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Seems like I've just joined the blue screen r9 290/x club:p

I've gotten a blue screen on 6/16/2014 while watching You tube videos in 1080p. I was watching the fallout nuka cola series, and I was on season 2.
My second blue screen happened today 7/24/14. I simply opened up internet explorer, came to this website to check the forums, then boom, blue screen from a0000001. This happened after running furmark to check temps and artifacts for overclock.
The first blue screen happened at stock settings.
I am using msi afterburner to monitor clocks and fan speeds.
I am wondering if this has something to do with msi afterburner.
Even still, this is very frustrating. You buy a high performance card (xfx r290 black edition) not a blue screen card.
I'll probably sell this card and go for a evga gtx 780 classified. It's currently on sale on newegg for 500 dollars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx9e02 View Post

We also have very similar cpu/mobo combo, except i have the 290x. Could you clarify if you're still having an issue? Maybe I'm not reading it right, but I didn't quite understand from your post.

It was fixed until I updated to the newest beta drivers, now the problem is back.
The BSOD is completely random, I can be gaming, browsing the web or editing a text file.
I stressed the entire system for a few hours even, it never seems to crash wile stressing the system. Verey odd if you ask me.

EDIT:
It would seem that most of us having this problem have a 58x setup, not only that but I see a lot of people with this problem have an asus board. Wile this may be nothing, there might be some sort of incompatibly going on here.
post #75 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 12:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
I have an Asus x58 board and the XFX R9 290, on both of their sites they show that they are not compatible, but I don't believe this. I was getting the BSOD and tried everything until I ran across this. Install and run MSI Afterburner, then turn the mem frequency down from 1250 to 1050, worked for me and have not seen a BSOD in weeks, used to get them 5 times a day.

It's not the greatest thing to down clock the mem because of performance but since I voided the warranty by adding an Arctic IV cooler I have no choice. I also checked the Force Constant Voltage so I am not sure which did it as I made both changes at the same time.
post #76 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 12:35 PM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1794 (Unique: 1173)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trombman View Post

Seems like I've just joined the blue screen r9 290/x club:p

I've gotten a blue screen on 6/16/2014 while watching You tube videos in 1080p. I was watching the fallout nuka cola series, and I was on season 2.
My second blue screen happened today 7/24/14. I simply opened up internet explorer, came to this website to check the forums, then boom, blue screen from a0000001. This happened after running furmark to check temps and artifacts for overclock.
The first blue screen happened at stock settings.
I am using msi afterburner to monitor clocks and fan speeds.
I am wondering if this has something to do with msi afterburner.
Even still, this is very frustrating. You buy a high performance card (xfx r290 black edition) not a blue screen card.
I'll probably sell this card and go for a evga gtx 780 classified. It's currently on sale on newegg for 500 dollars.

That's more then a month apart.

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi)
GPU
nVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti FE
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Gamdias Chione M1A-280R
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲

post #77 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 02:41 PM

I rebuilt my pc last night with a new case. I cleaned the cpu and the socket I have yet to get a another bsod.

EDIT
I also get the bsod more often when the card is running on the hot side. This might explain why I don't get any bsods when stressing the card as I have all fans running at full speed. Also when gaming I tend to get the bsod when II don't speed up the fans.
But once again this might all just be unrelated.
post #78 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 10:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 56)
Driver updates seems to have fixed this? on mydesktop i'm no longer getting random bluescreens while using flash ( only thing the testbed gets used for is to play youtube or other flash streams) ? Curious to know from others who had the similar problems . if you are still having problems please update to the newest drivers, and if you are on the newest drivers please post your driver version number as well as your gpu/mobo/cpu model numbers. CheeRS YaLL!

(super duper side note, If i have enabled an technially unsupported refreshrate for my monitor that actually works, and changed resolutions whil using these non supported refreshrates or resolutions, this problem seems to happen) As long as i'm using valid and supported stuff its completely stable, weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka go_quote.gif
Imagine accelerating a decent sized dog to Mach 8
post #79 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 12:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 84)
Not sure what "newest drivers" means. I'm on 14.4 I think and I still get blue screens

Started playing NosGoth and I'm getting nailed with blue screens left right and center. Fed up really

post #80 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 08:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 84)
Aight, I installed a bunch of games I never play to try to expose this BSOD and it happens a lot while playing Rift, sometimes just sitting AFK.

I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up something Nvidia and send this 7870 for RMA. I've tried literally every solution on the net for this driver issue and can't find anything. Really ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in