R9 290 throttle after +50 mv on AB? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

R9 290 throttle after +50 mv on AB?

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
My R9 290 form gigabyte is watercooled with the xspc waterblock and it starts to throttle after +50mv even with max power limit, the vrm temps are below 85C and the gpu around 72 with 1110 mhz when i tried to push the voltage to max (+100mv)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
Depending on the test, this is not unusual.

The +50% power limit is often not enough for the power the card can draw in demanding tests at significant OCs with high voltage.

Also, 72C is pretty high for a water cooled part.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 01:48 PM

You should rather try undervolting first, using ATi Tray Tools, imo. It has its own artifact checker.
VRMs on 290x aren't that solid, imo(depending on the custom pcb model). Despite operating under water cooling, you might have better luck if they are cooler. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Depending on the test, this is not unusual.

The +50% power limit is often not enough for the power the card can draw in demanding tests at significant OCs with high voltage.

Also, 72C is pretty high for a water cooled part.

Yeah before it was around 50c but i tried re mount the block to low vrm temps the vrm temps got a bit lower and the gpu got hotter i think i did a bad thermal paste application
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

You should rather try undervolting first, using ATi Tray Tools, imo. It has its own artifact checker.
VRMs on 290x aren't that solid, imo(depending on the custom pcb model). Despite operating under water cooling, you might have better luck if they are cooler. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

for oveclocking we shouldnt overvolt it? O_o
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:09 PM
GPU Enthusiast

Rep: 200 (Unique: 147)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonamedota View Post

Yeah before it was around 50c but i tried re mount the block to low vrm temps the vrm temps got a bit lower and the gpu got hotter i think i did a bad thermal paste application

Your temps are incredibly high for a block with so little extra voltage. Definitely check the paste job, but I'd also check to see if you used the proper thickness thermal pads and that the block is level/flush with all holes when being mounted. I would also double check there are no air bubbles in the loop and the rest of the loop is functioning as efficiently as you can get it to.

Steins Gate
(16 items)
CPU
3700X
Motherboard
ASUS CH8 WiFi
GPU
EVGA 2080S FTW3
RAM
2x8GB DDR4 3200 c14 @ 3800 C16 1T
Hard Drive
960 Evo
Hard Drive
850 Evo
Power Supply
EVGA 750w G2
Cooling
EVGA CLC 360
Case
Fractal Design S2
Monitor
Acer ed323qur
Keyboard
CM MK730
Mouse
G703
Mousepad
Logitech Powerplay
Audio
Polk tsi 100
Audio
HD518
Audio
Denon PMA-60
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8000 View Post

Your temps are incredibly high for a block with so little extra voltage. Definitely check the paste job, but I'd also check to see if you used the proper thickness thermal pads and that the block is level/flush with all holes when being mounted. I would also double check there are no air bubbles in the loop and the rest of the loop is functioning as efficiently as you can get it to.

i used the thermal pads that came with the block and the xspc come pre cutted. the cpu temps are normal and the gpu is in the same loop
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8000 View Post

i saw that using thermal paste over the thermal pads can help but i got scared to try it lol because I saw some good comments and some bad about it
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 61)
You guys did something terribly wrong with cooling. With an CLC, or "RED MOD", on my 290x I get 55C on core and 72C on VRM (+100mv core 50% Power-Limit).

You used thermal paste for the GPU core.... right?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot318 View Post

You guys did something terribly wrong with cooling. With an CLC, or "RED MOD", on my 290x I get 55C on core and 72C on VRM (+100mv core 50% Power-Limit).

You used thermal paste for the GPU core.... right?

yes but im sure it was bad applied
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonamedota View Post

1.5v voltmod @1.3GHz, or not, the voltage transistor delay follows a diminishing return function for which I don't know the right nomenclature(neither if I'm true, lol!).
ATT is fantastic for detection of even the slightest errors and recalibration of overclock frequencies in accordance by swift reduction. As it finds the highest overclock per voltage threshold, the gpu begins operating at "near threshold voltage"; thereby requring the lowest current at the lowest temperature attainable at that frequency by virtue of undervolting, improves the resistance and there's spare electric potential in vrms to drive clocks even higher per vrm configuration limited electric potential on the card, imo.
Quote:
Near room temperature, the resistivity of metals typically increases as temperature is increased, while the resistivity of semiconductors typically decreases as temperature is increased

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in