[Official] AMD R9 Radeon FURY / NANO / X / Pro DUO FIJI Owners Club - Page 643 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] AMD R9 Radeon FURY / NANO / X / Pro DUO FIJI Owners Club

post #6421 of 11676 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 01:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 750 (Unique: 286)
Please explain me these "downclocking" issues, like to an complete imbecile.

What happens, in what conditions?
Does increasing PowerTune limit change the behavior, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6422 of 11676 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 02:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

What happens

GPU downclocks its core (quite often and to somewhat really low clocks compared to 15.11.1 catalyst driver) when it "thinks" it can get away with being more "power efficient" (say, opening inventory, a map, but it happens in-game as well,especially when vsync is enabled) which results in lower fps and unstable OCing..
Quote:
, in what conditions?

games+crimson driver
Quote:
Does increasing PowerTune limit change the behavior,
Do you mean power limit in afterburner? No.

We really need a "performance mode"(when I play games I don't need any "power efficient" nonsense screwing things up. I didn't buy a top end gpu for it to be "power efficient" when gaming) like the one nvidia has in the control panel or just wait for a new afterburner release coz I don't think amd is gonna fix this anytime soon.

PS That's on fury cards. I dunno if it happens on other cards.
post #6423 of 11676 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 823 (Unique: 636)
I have had the downclocking issue on my Fury in only BF4. It seems to drop the clocks every once in a while which in turn causes lag.

Clockblocker appears to have rectified this.

Just take a poo on his lawn, that'll sort it. Then say his slutty daughter did it. - ace8uk (2017)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6424 of 11676 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98uk View Post

I have had the downclocking issue on my Fury in only BF4. It seems to drop the clocks every once in a while which in turn causes lag.

Clockblocker appears to have rectified this.

I have it in any game when using crimsond river. As for clockblocker....it's a nice workaround but it is not perfect and it doesn't fully eliminate OC instability issues caused by this nonsense..(checked in witcher 3..the most sensitive to OCing game.. 15.11.1- perfectly stable 24\7 as in any other game\benchmark, crimson- crashes within xx minutes even with clockblocker enabled. Without clockblocker it happens much faster)
post #6425 of 11676 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

If the temperature is below the throttling temperature (75°C) and the power draw stays below the TDP (270W, PowerTune / Power Control @ 0%), it is definitely a driver issue and not directly related to PowerTune or PowerPlay. Disabling PowerPlay is definitely not the correct approach to solve it, since it will mess up the power management completely.
post #6426 of 11676 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 06:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Generally my OCed GPU sits at 40-55C (vsync on) when gaming..It depends on a game\load
post #6427 of 11676 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 06:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semel View Post

Generally my GPU sits at 40-55C when under gaming load..It depends on a game

Is there a continuously replicable difference in benchmarks (e.g 3DMark) between the drivers without the issue and the newer Crimson ones?
post #6428 of 11676 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 07:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semel View Post

Generally my OCed GPU sits at 40-55C (vsync on) when gaming..It depends on a game\load

Which OS are you on?
post #6429 of 11676 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
* It seems that AMD needs to rectify the clocking issues with Crimson drivers, otherwise whats the point in having a feature that collects dust for 1-2 years, while video drivers are improved on.

*It seems that it would take a large team to go into the BIOS Tree, find what lines of code cause the clocks to downclock, and build some type of Logic code that says if Power threshold is set to *%* then increase voltage / clocks until temp threshold is reached then power down if threshold reaches above (92c) possibly the reason why some people using aftermarket software having success O.C., AMD does not want to risk damage to GPU's just to satisfy a Market that uses 1440p or higher displays, since 1100-1500 clocks are standard for driving those types of displays.

Or they could use the HBM to plug in different shader caches from the game and get it to squeeze those through the memory instead of the GPU, I'm sure there a plenty of different ways to successfully overclock the GPU, using third party engineers seems to be the only option for any manufacturer etc.
post #6430 of 11676 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

Is there a continuously replicable difference in benchmarks (e.g 3DMark) between the drivers without the issue and the newer Crimson ones?

I dunno. I clearly see difference in stability(if OCed) and real-time performance(thanx to monitoring tools) in games. I installed\uninstalled drivers too many times and I don't think I'm gonna do it again just to compare 3dmark firestrike scores. wink.gif

The issue is widespread. Check hardware forums, reddit, etc. Even AMD acknowledged the problem
https://twitter.com/amdcare/status/676423582520487937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirgheos View Post

Which OS are you on?
win 10 64

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in