Problem with Display port connection "blinking" monitor to a black screen and then back to normal - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Problem with Display port connection "blinking" monitor to a black screen and then back to normal

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I have the same problem, but for me it is cable specific. I switched out the DP1.2 cable that came with my Acer GSync monitor ("Bizlink" stamp on connector, 5 foot length) for a 10 ft DP1.2 cable from AmazonBasics. I needed the length after moving my workstation. Screen was completely steady before the switch. New cable = new intermittent flickering. Switched back to the old cable and it went away. Back to the new cable and it reappeared.

I'm not clear if this is a cable quality issue or a length issue yet, but it is definitely the cable for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 12:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

I just joined to say that I am experiencing the exact same issue with my old Mac Mini (2011)/ Mac Book Pro (2015) and my Asus PB278Q. Everything is fine when plugged in to VGA or HDMI but when I plug using mini-DP to DP to use the full 2560x1440 I get the same "intermittent flash to black for a second or two" behavior that the OP describes. The button on my monitor stays blue (vs amber when it sleeps), and I do not get any alert message mentioning signal loss on my computer or my monitor. My second monitor (HDMI) remains working just fine while the Asus on DP is blacked out. I have tried numerous miniDP-DP cables and the issue persists with all of them when connected to either my MacMini or MacBook Pro even if it's the only monitor connected.

I thought I would attempt to avoid this issue by buying a miniDP-DualLinkDVI adapter, but they all have horrible reviews as well. I'm not sure I want to throw $100 on the off chance it works. I guess I could buy somewhere with a solid returns policy... more to come on that later. First I have some other tests I want to run.

Update:

My 2nd monitor also has a DP connection (Dell P2217) but it doesn't support the high resolution like my Asus. I usually have it hooked up to HDMI while the Asus has been connected with a Thunderbolt/MiniDP->DP. I have not had any issues with the second monitor & HDMI. I am going to swap my Asus to HDMI (1080p only) and my Dell to Thunderbolt/MiniDP->DP (1680x1050). I'll leave it in this configuration until it blacks out or it's been steady for a month. Not really sure this will rule anything out yet but I'm curious to see if the blackouts follow the TB/MiniDP->DP connection or not.

Also, I'm getting a new work laptop (HP Elite book 840 G3) which has Intel® HD Graphics 520 and I think should be able to allow me to test the full resolution of the Asus via DP.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

I had the same intermittent flashing and eventual screen black out which only turning the monitor off-and-on seemed to fix... but only for a short while. This problem got to be quite bad. My monitor is a Benq 3200PL using the displayport input for 1440p resolution. I use an nVidia card.

What I ended up doing was turning off "DP Auto Switch" on my Benq monitor. I believe it's a display port auto switch. Not sure if you have a similar setting on your monitor. I had read elsewhere that on a Benq it might be the DDC/DI setting, but in my case it was the DP Auto Switch. The monitor seems to work fine now and uses the Displayport regardless of not switching/cycling.

Anyway, in my case it must have been the auto switch feature (monitor cycling through inputs to find a signal) that was messing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMASCII View Post

I had the same intermittent flashing and eventual screen black out which only turning the monitor off-and-on seemed to fix... but only for a short while. This problem got to be quite bad. My monitor is a Benq 3200PL using the displayport input for 1440p resolution. I use an nVidia card.

What I ended up doing was turning off "DP Auto Switch" on my Benq monitor. I believe it's a display port auto switch. Not sure if you have a similar setting on your monitor. I had read elsewhere that on a Benq it might be the DDC/DI setting, but in my case it was the DP Auto Switch. The monitor seems to work fine now and uses the Displayport regardless of not switching/cycling.

Anyway, in my case it must have been the auto switch feature (monitor cycling through inputs to find a signal) that was messing up.

In my case a similar blink-out effect happens with a screen using a DP cable connection, on a 2017 MBP (MacBook Pro) and in a specific case, with a CalDigit Docking unit TS3, using a DP->DP cable supplied by Dell with a Dell P2715Q display (others have had similar issues) reported to Amazon. Doesn't happen with the same cable using an adapter or a straight cable (USB-C->DP).

My machine does use a internal Radeon Pro 555 graphics card w/ 2048MB VRAM. Different cable tried, that wan't the issue. Looking at hardware issues because software was NOT a cause that I could prove. A friend brought over an older machine to plug in and it did not happen there.

The manufacturer was contacted and confirmed the issue. They were pro-active and sent me a tested unit they claimed to have solved. Alas, not so. I"m looking into a hardware issue on their product. I have a work around that points to hardware. I can get almost 100% OK (haven't tested long enough yet for confidence), plugging in the DP cable first, before attaching ANY other devices to the dock. This is not so great due to having to do this at every startup (boot) of the machine. Manufacturer lost patience with me and gave up troubleshooting after this. They want to refund only at this point, not fix (what I think is) their problem.

Anybody know of such a thing as a DP (port) test monitor with glitch counter to tally up sync failures on a DP port? Or software to do the job??

Was going to return the unit to Amazon and still may do so. Wonder if anybody here has experienced similar?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 04:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I have this problem, first with a 290X and 4k monitor over DP 1.2, but only at 4k 60hz, anything less and the problem doesn't occur, although I cannot be 100% sure as I haven't used anything less than 4k 60hz for more than a day or 2 when I first got the monitor.

I changed to a 1080TI and got a good quality cable (KabelDirekt 2m 4K 60 Hz DisplayPort cable, version 1.2 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073RGQ3Q6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and the problem remained, so whatever this issue is is not related to GFX card or cable type.

Also the input select on my monitor is set to DP 1.2 not auto. The only way to resolve it is to turn off/on the monitor. Always it happens some time after booting, sometimes up to 3/4 times, but then is ok until I switch off the computer. Some days it does not happen at all.

**** knows...
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 01:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hmmm, I have a AOC AGON AG271QG connected to MSI GeForce GTX 1070 AERO ITX 8G OC.

Using highest settings including 165Hz mode on monitor and connecting using dp cable.

I have noticed that most times i slightly touches (or carefully tilting) the computer chassi I get screen flickering or looses the signal.

Using the cable included with the monitor, perhaps I should try with a new dp cable?
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 07:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

handshake error image going black with displayport used

It could be a handshake error. My radeon 5970 hdmi also has that problem. There it occurs when the screen is turned off and back on, the sound disappears. Putting tape blocking pin 19 of the hdmi cable solves it.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 05:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

The thing that I found that caused my issue was the refresh rate if I was at 144hz the problem would exist, when I changed the DP capabilities on my Agon AOC AG322qcx 32 ( QHD monitor) to 1.1 the problem went away but it would Default to 120hz I changed the monitor back to 1.2 capabilities through the OSD of the monitor and changed my Resolution settings manually to 120hz instead of 144hz the problem was also gone.. SO I assume it's maybe that I don't have a 1.2 cord? however with HDMI I can get 144hz with no problem, so I will change out to a 1.2 DP cord and see if that fixes the problem, but hopefully this helps with others having the flashing problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in