Problem with Display port connection "blinking" monitor to a black screen and then back to normal - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Problem with Display port connection "blinking" monitor to a black screen and then back to normal

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 106)
I've been having problems where display port "blinks" on and off. Basically it's not that the monitor loses power or anything, It just cuts to a black screen then cuts back. Not long enough for it to say signal lost. I can do HDMI from either video card to my Dell P2715Q and it works fine. DP exhibits this issue when plugged in to either video card, I disabled crossfire to use the outputs of both cards.

What I've done so far: in no particular order

Replaced DP cable

Got a replacement monitor from dell

Tried DP output of both R9 290x

Reinstalled video drivers with the latest AMD beta using DDU atleast 3x, these drivers had worked fine since gta V came out until recently.

Ran sfc /scannow on winwdows 8.1 It found some corrupted files but I fixed them with the DISM tool.

The problem persists.

Do I possibly need to just nuke this windows install and try over? Very odd to me that hdmi has 0 issues.

My system right now is a 5820k w/ a msi x99 mobo and 4x4gb of ddr4

2x R9 290x

CM v1000 psu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

still having this issue, Ive tried everything I can think of, need some ideas.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 03:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwareDecoder View Post

still having this issue, Ive tried everything I can think of, need some ideas.

i had the same problem and it's the cable. you should buy one with 19 pin (the 20th isn't connect). this solve all your issue.

take a look (for example)
http://www.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Video/DisplayPort/displayport-cable-10ft-certified~DISPLPORT10L

this has just 19 pin connected and is right for our monitors/vga.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludus View Post

i had the same problem and it's the cable. you should buy one with 19 pin (the 20th isn't connect). this solve all your issue.

http://www.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Video/DisplayPort/displayport-cable-10ft-certified~DISPLPORT10L

Im not sure what that means? I was having this issue with the DP > Mini dp that came w/ the monitor (after 6 months) and my replacement DP > DP cable from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H3Q5E0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 48)
Quote:

Im not sure what that means? I was having this issue with the DP > Mini dp that came w/ the monitor (after 6 months) and my replacement DP > DP cable from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H3Q5E0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

is this issue happening at stock clocks with GPUs?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33998432
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by DividebyZERO View Post

is this issue happening at stock clocks with GPUs?

yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludus View Post

well I had ordered that cable I linked before and I was having the same issue, so I got around to trying the mini-dp > full dp cable they sent with my replacement monitor and I haven't had the issue since then... Maybe this monitor is very particular with cables.. I really don't know though.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 11:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Same here with two sets of 2x Asus PB248Q.

First set is connected to a Nvidia GTX 750 and shows the blinking / blackouts. As the card only offers one DVI I bought two mini DP to DVI cables which solved the problem. So I am using the mini DP on the Nvidia card and connected to DVI on the monitor side.

On the second set of 2x PB28Q I also had problems while the GPU was a AMD HD7950. I switched to DVI and HDMI there.

Unfortunately this means losing a possible audio connection that comes with DP.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 11:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

I have a very similar issue. My g2460pf was absolutely fine, but after I moved the dp started flickering. When i quickly move the mouse or click on something it flickers, goes black, thinks for a few and comes back. Doing this enough times loses the connection. Tried replacimg the cable with the official one that came with the monitor, no difference. Hdmi works perfectly.

My guess is the dp got damaged? Both the pc and the monitor were tightly packed into boxes and not shaken etc (moved them myself). Going to try to reinstall drivers and get a dp-hdmi switch to find which port doesn't work, the gpu's or rhe monitor's.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

I have the exact same issue. HDMI is fine, the Display port screen cuts of and on. Using a acer 4k screen. It has happend to 3 cables.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in