Hawaii Bios Editing ( 290 / 290X / 295X2 / 390 / 390X ) - Page 16 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Hawaii Bios Editing ( 290 / 290X / 295X2 / 390 / 390X )

post #151 of 4258 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 07:06 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3134 (Unique: 1869)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

Not saying your experience is not correct, only what I've noticed on mine. A voltage offset change in MSI AB applies to all DPM levels for me and this was the same for three different cards I've tested extensively. In MSI AB when I graph voltage with 0mv offset it will be 0.968v @ idle after applying an offset idle became 0.968 plus the offset.

My idle core voltage reported with GPU-Z and confirmed by multimeter is ~0.992v, irrespective of offset.
Quote:

Out of the 3 you adjusted in DPM7 (Voltage table) which are you now seeing in GPU-Z / MSI AB for VDDC?
This was what OneB1t had been thinking, Guru3d post . IIRC when he changed values it did not relate to a change for him, Link:- Guru3d post

I'm not certain the voltage change is doing anything at this point; hard to say because of droop. However, 1500MHz set via OCing tools with the stock BIOS resulted in all sorts of issues without a +50-60mv offset, even at stock core clock. With the modded BIOS, it works flawlessly without touching anything else. Could just be an effect of the clock speed table change, but I haven't gotten around to testing without the voltage table change yet.
Quote:

What I noted was when you change DPM7 RAM to 1500MHz even when GPU at say 300MHz and RAM for some unknown reason is hitting 1500MHz it starts using voltage of DPM7 ie whats in the six tables .

Yeah, anything that requests the 1500MHz memory clock seems to force full voltage, and this is probably the key to stabilizing the memory clock.

A few things will request 1350MHz, like watching YouTube videos in Chrome, and will get the variable voltage levels in DPM 1-6.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 4258 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Meddling user

Rep: 730 (Unique: 342)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

My idle core voltage reported with GPU-Z and confirmed by multimeter is ~0.992v, irrespective of offset.

Hmm , strange but cheers for share smile.gif ...

Need some input fellow members ...

I have created a 1080 / 1410 rom which has DPM 0 - 5 as stock volts DPM 6 - 7 has 31.25mv more than stock (reason in post 1 for doing these both higher volts, check under heading making OC bios).

Next I tried to create a 1100 / 1500 rom this fails to be stable, so a little mini investigation revealed the driver (or something) is adjusting the maximum voltage it gives as default clocks go up.

SO for testing I created 4 roms, only change is GPU clock nothing else.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Next check of what VID is detected by Stilts app for DPM 7.
1000MHz (Click to show)
1030MHz (Click to show)
1080MHz (Click to show)
1100MHz (Click to show)

SO as default GPU clock rise VID for DPM7 changes.

Next I look at range of voltage I get for those 4 roms when applying +44mv using MSI AB and setting 1100MHz (Note: in 1100MHz rom I only apply voltage in MSI AB)
1000MHz (Click to show)
1030MHz (Click to show)
1080MHz (Click to show)
1100MHz (Click to show)
[

You see a min of 0.961 in all roms, due to how when I launch MSI AB all roms have no voltage increase or offset applied. Once an offset is applied the min does change for all 4 roms in graph. As I don't reset graphing after applying offset it still show min 0.961 in counter.

What changes is what becomes max voltage this has some connection with how the driver sets VID for DPM 7 based on default GPU clock in rom.

I don't wish to create a 1100 / 1500 rom with crazy voltage to gain right max voltage. If I create a rom with static 1.256v for DPM 7 it's unstable in benches, if I don't set static voltage for DPM7 and use a GPU voltage offset in rom it's unstable in benches. Due to the default GPU clock in rom.

So far only a rom with 1000MHz GPU and then applying +44mv & 1100MHz through MSI AB is stable in benches.

OR a rom with 1000MHz GPU +44mv GPU core offset in rom (VoltageObjectInfo) and then 1100MHz through MSI AB is stable in benches.

A rom with GPU @ 1000MHz but static DPM7 @ 1.256V , shows correctly in Stilts app.

But max voltage is just showing as 1.227V.

Any ideas what going on or how to get around this? cheers.
post #153 of 4258 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3134 (Unique: 1869)
Stilt's app is probably reading the correct base value, but Actual max voltage will never hit the voltage of the highest DPM state because of droop.

I did compare the PT1 and PT3 roms so I've got a pretty good idea of where droop is in the Hawaii firmware, but I haven't attempted any custom value (or even deciphered the current values) and probably won't. Almost certainly much safer just to jack up the base voltage and leave droop intact.

Also, I've confirmed that my voltage table edits were not actually doing anything and ended up just increasing the VoltageObjectInfo offset...not an ideal workaround, but it suffices for now.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 4258 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
Meddling user

Thank you for viewing and commenting smile.gif , I agree there is droop when measuring via DMM or viewing in MSI AB / GPU-Z and I too am not going to meddle with that.

What's bugging me is I'm not increasing voltage in the roms for that test and as default clocks are going up the VID is changing, what I'm thinking is something monitors default clocks and then adjusts VID, Stilts app is showing that IMO.
Warning Stilts app gives before launch (Click to show)

I've made a ROM set to 1090 / 1475 , I've adjusted GPU clock through the DPM states like a factory OC rom, only an extra 6.25mv through DPM 0 -5 and 6 - 7 full 37.5mv.
ROM Compare Stock vs VX STD vs VX OC vs 1090 / 1475 (Click to show)

I use the GPU core voltage offset in VoltageObjectInfo table as then the user (I) in apps can clearly see rom has extra voltage but adjusted rom for lower states with static voltage taking offset into account..

I have not tested 1095 yet for VID but between 1080 - 1090 VID stays same, I've noted Stilts app is not showing 1.21250 + 0.03750 = 1.25V as VID but 1.225, this is same VID as a rom without extra voltage but 1080 gpu.
VID Check (Click to show)
Voltage Range (Click to show)

The way RAM DPM's are set even at low GPU clock when RAM spikes up to 1475 it still receives low volts smile.gif . In the previous testing for "Voltage table" and high clock ram in DPM7 shows that if lower DPM's don't have the same clock and RAM spikes up to MAX speed you get the higher state voltage.
post #155 of 4258 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 09:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I was wondering if there was a line (using Hawaii Bios Reader) where I can fix it so my 2D clocks (desktop) don't always run at max memory clock. (using Display Port connection on an 80hz overclocked monitor)
post #156 of 4258 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 18)
Hi Shodin10k, did you add this 80Hz monitor profile yourself?

I had the same problem with my memory never downclocking, I happened to stumble upon the guy who had the CRU app saying that can be a sign of less than ideal custom monitor timings.
post #157 of 4258 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Meddling user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard View Post

In all three straps was The Stilt's 1250 MHz memory timings.
For the 1500 MHz strap I edit The Stilt's 1375 MHz memory timings.
I hope it runs now without artifacts at 1500 MHz.

Hi Lard,

I was finishing sorting the "How to..." on adding Stilt's RAM timings and noticed something whilst viewing HEX values.

There are no Stilt 1375MHz timings wink.gif , he uses identical timings in the MLU with default RAM clock of 1375MHz, but in ROMS that default to RAM clock 1250MHz there is only that strap with RAM timings , rest are stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

Important:

Memory straps are active only at the exact nominal frequency of the bios build. On builds defaulting to 1250MHz MEMCLK any other frequency than 1250MHz will init the strap change. At 1249MHz the MC uses strap intended for 1250MHz MEMCLK while at 1251MHz strap for 1375MHz MEMCLK will be used. This will increase the latency significantly.

The next strap uses stock clocks, thus increased latency smile.gif .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

Bios builds defaulting to 1375MHz MEMCLK contain two identical straps which makes the memory latency perfectly linear (1250-1375MHz).

When you did the second ROM for me you placed stock 1375MHz timings into 1500MHz strap smile.gif .
Stock vs V1 vs V2 (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodin10k View Post

I was wondering if there was a line (using Hawaii Bios Reader) where I can fix it so my 2D clocks (desktop) don't always run at max memory clock. (using Display Port connection on an 80hz overclocked monitor)

I've not had this issue, use a 120Hz refresh rate over DP, same with TriX 290 , Asus DCUII 290X or Vapor-X 290X.

In rom not come across anything which may help but will keep my eyes peeled.
post #158 of 4258 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 04:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ized View Post

Hi Shodin10k, did you add this 80Hz monitor profile yourself?

I had the same problem with my memory never downclocking, I happened to stumble upon the guy who had the CRU app saying that can be a sign of less than ideal custom monitor timings.

Yea, it was added through CRU. Monitor is a Dell p2414h. Used the timings I found here (https://www.overclock.net/t/1452897/dell-p2414h-ah-ips-pwm-free-light-ag-coating-1080p)
post #159 of 4258 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 12:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 29)
Quote:

Hi Lard,

I was finishing sorting the "How to..." on adding Stilt's RAM timings and noticed something whilst viewing HEX values.

There are no Stilt 1375MHz timings wink.gif , he uses identical timings in the MLU with default RAM clock of 1375MHz, but in ROMS that default to RAM clock 1250MHz there is only that strap with RAM timings , rest are stock.
The next strap uses stock clocks, thus increased latency smile.gif .
When you did the second ROM for me you placed stock 1375MHz timings into 1500MHz strap smile.gif .
Stock vs V1 vs V2 (Click to show)
Yep, I dowloaded a wrong version of The Stilt's BIOS without a change on the 1375 MHz timings.
Thanks for the info.
post #160 of 4258 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 12:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 18)
Has there been any general breakthroughs this week, things we couldn't do last week for example?

I must have missed how people were editing memory timings and such, what tools are needed for that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in