Hawaii Bios Editing ( 290 / 290X / 295X2 / 390 / 390X ) - Page 426 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Hawaii Bios Editing ( 290 / 290X / 295X2 / 390 / 390X )

post #4251 of 4278 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Mr. ÜberMix

Rep: 40 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mister Floppy View Post
@generaleramon:

With mod v3, I got a black screen when starting a video game (Just Cause 4), I attached the GPU-Z log file, the crash happened about 16:38:34

The lesson I learned: Never ever again a GPU from AMD :-(
i have a ton of AMD gpus, all works fine, is just the 2XX-3XX series that is famous for the Black Screen issue.
I'm looking at the log: 93 degrees GPU temp! but also: the 12V voltage goes as low as 11.63v, do you have another PSU/PC to the card with? A friend of mine had a lot of stability problems with his 390X and it was the PSU, that might explain the fact that you are solving the problem by setting the Power Target to -50%

v4, TDP Max, Power Limit and TDC Limit all set to 50% in the Bios. VDDCI back to 1000mv, VRM Frequency back to stock. GPU Clock 2 back to stock, tuned the fan profile
Attached Files
File Type: zip Asus.R9390X_mod4.zip (99.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by generaleramon; 06-12-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4252 of 4278 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Like a fox!

Rep: 79 (Unique: 60)
@generaleramon:

With mod v3, I got a black screen when starting a video game (Just Cause 4), I attached the GPU-Z log file, the crash happened about 16:38:34

Nvidia can and will have black screen problems too, but usually for nvidia it only happens if we overheat an nvidia card to 90+ C.
I think we might need some more information here. What resolution and refresh rate are you running on your screen? It could just be a problem of a bad/defective monitor cable causing your monitor to lose signal and not the card it's self or the overclock.
post #4253 of 4278 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Talon720 View Post
Have you tried the other outputs? Do the 390x bios your using have the lower memory timings?
Quote: Originally Posted by generaleramon View Post
do you have another PSU/PC to the card with? A friend of mine had a lot of stability problems with his 390X and it was the PSU, that might explain the fact that you are solving the problem by setting the Power Target to -50%

v4, TDP Max, Power Limit and TDC Limit all set to 50% in the Bios. VDDCI back to 1000mv, VRM Frequency back to stock. GPU Clock 2 back to stock, tuned the fan profile
Quote: Originally Posted by kithylin View Post
I think we might need some more information here. What resolution and refresh rate are you running on your screen? It could just be a problem of a bad/defective monitor cable causing your monitor to lose signal and not the card it's self or the overclock.

First at all: Thank you for your help and suggestions, guys!

The resolution is 1920x1080 and the refresh rate 60 Hz.

But I don't think it's just a matter of the monitor loosing signal, because the black screens are from that kind which are freezing the whole system, I even can't ping it from another PC, only way to shut it down is by holding the Power Button down for several seconds...

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare PSU/PC to test the GPU with.

I will try generaleramons newest mod and report back. Stay tuned :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4254 of 4278 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:56 PM
Like a fox!

Rep: 79 (Unique: 60)
I will try generaleramons newest mod and report back. Stay tuned :-)
It could just be the card overheating some how... All video cards, AMD or Nvidia will drop monitor signal, black screen, and throw fans at 100% until you hard turn the computer off if they overheat too far. It's a failsafe mode typically. Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think in one post you said it was hitting 93c. AMD cards are rated for up to 95c typically but.. anything in the 85~90c range is close to the "emergency thermal black screen" mode.
post #4255 of 4278 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

R9 390 Strix

Quote: Originally Posted by kithylin View Post
It could just be the card overheating some how... All video cards, AMD or Nvidia will drop monitor signal, black screen, and throw fans at 100% until you hard turn the computer off if they overheat too far. It's a failsafe mode typically. Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think in one post you said it was hitting 93c. AMD cards are rated for up to 95c typically but.. anything in the 85~90c range is close to the "emergency thermal black screen" mode.

The ASUS R9 390X Strix is "famous" for its high temperatures, and unfortunately has a bad hardware design regarding cooling :-( I've watched a youtube video where some experienced guys did a hardware mod to reduce the temperatures a little, in the end they achieved a maximum temperature of 87c. For anyone interested, here's the link (german):

With generaleramons newest modded BIOS I now have a maxium temperature of 89c playing "Just Cause 4" on highest settings for almost 6 hours.

In my case, the black screens regularly DON'T occur when the GPU is running at high temperatures, but when it's dealing with simple tasks, like playing a video stream. I've had black screens after seconds I powered on the PC and started a video stream (not even in HD)!

However, so far with generaleramons newest BIOS mod I didn't have a black screen in "2D" affairs, and I'm hoping this will not change. I will report back - fingers crossed
post #4256 of 4278 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

I really dont want you to do that. But for me it was the only solution to handle the BS.
Everything else like on your card didnt worked.
I know the following solution is maybe not the best, but its oviously better than a useless blackscreening card.
Flash PT1 or PT3 Bios. Cant remember which of them had no Vdroop. Take the PT wich has Vdrop.
And you will have some nice days with your card. (only if you have a reference card, works maybe on some
customs... but no warranty for that)
post #4257 of 4278 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Well... also with generaleramons newest BIOS, in the end I got a black screen by starting a simple video stream :-(

Quote: Originally Posted by xtremefunky View Post
I really dont want you to do that. But for me it was the only solution to handle the BS.
Everything else like on your card didnt worked.
I know the following solution is maybe not the best, but its oviously better than a useless blackscreening card.
Flash PT1 or PT3 Bios. Cant remember which of them had no Vdroop. Take the PT wich has Vdrop.
And you will have some nice days with your card. (only if you have a reference card, works maybe on some
customs... but no warranty for that)

This suggestion sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I should take the risk to brick the GPU, because after searching for "PT1" and "PT3" with google, I only found threads which all have "290" in their title - although, in my case we are talking about a "390X" card! I've read that there are some modded BIOS in the wild coming from a "390" GPU to be flashed on a "290" GPU, but is it actually possible vice versa, too?

And regarding "better do not try it with a custom card", I do think that the ASUS STRIX R9 390X DirectCU III OC is not coming directly from the manufacturer, but from a "third party" company, so it's not to be considered as a reference card, am I right?

Can anyone resolve my doubts?
post #4258 of 4278 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 106 (Unique: 86)
@generaleramon:

The problem is most likely with manufacturer Asus and not necessarily AMD, I have All AMD cards 8 total, SAPPHIRE hd7950, 2 290X lightnings, 2 fury nitro's , 2 RX 580 Nitro, RX580 armor II No issues at all, I had to RMA a fury nitro but that's it
Generally AMD cards tho you need to tweak to get best performance from them

But can it run.... Angry Birds???

About the NVidia GTX 970
"When comes down to it, it's really a $250 card with lies printed all over the box."--Rexer
post #4259 of 4278 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:16 AM
either freeze or burn

Rep: 459 (Unique: 230)
Heya Gents and Ladies.

Got back into my stuff again and yeah. Good to be looking back in here. Had to undervolt my hawaiis as ambient here sucks big time.

So far I’m at 850/1450 at 1000mV and droops to 930ish at load.

How far have you guys undervolted these cards if you have?

D I S C L A I M E R
If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
post #4260 of 4278 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

BIOS edit help...

Hello guys! I have read carefully main article and mostly understand everything.

But just to clearify things - i want to ask some help.

I have XFX r9 290

Thing i want - is simple enough - i want to make BIOS without ULPS - or Powerplay - other words - i want my GPU work constantly on same clocks. I used to make it at Windows 7 with ClockBlocker app and it worked well.

Now i am switched to new rig - Ryzen 3700x, MSI B450-A Pro and Win10 1903. And i could not make GPU stay at same clocks. ClockBlocker is not working - i still got clock jumps. Worst thing in all that - i have black screen problem - and it happens randomly - not when GPU used , or hot or something. It can be while browsing internet for example. What i found is - it is always happend , when GPU memory went from load to idle. I can easily simulate it with overclock - i can pump my memory up to 1600MHz at load without problems, but as soon as i turn load off - i got black screen. After windows rebooted - i always got "default radeon wattman settings has been restored"...

So i tryed everything to disable that power saving, but none of it works.

Now i want to try it with BIOS flashing...

As i understand - i should chande all DPM states values in PowerPlay to 'under load' values and it should stay at same clock - right?

Surely i also need to change Voltage too...

Is there anything i am missing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in