[Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 12066 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,816
Rep: 129 (Unique: 88)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodsNC View Post

What's the max volts you can put through the card?

Only tested 100+mv on AB so far, but am going to attempt more with Trixx this evening.

What was nice to see, was that even though the core hits around 80c on heavy load, the VRM never breaks 64c, so there is plenty of headroom for more voltage.

Seeing 1185MHz stable on a 100mv+ bump was very nice to see.....

I will monitor the reported voltage later and see if the stock voltage, and overlcocked voltage are reporting higher (roughly) than what my 290 did.
I am inclined to believe so..... but if that is the case, then it means a few things are true...

1. The FrozerV cooler on this card is doing a great job on the core AND the VRM's
2. If the stock voltage is higher than the 290 (by 50-100mv) this means we have potential to get in the realm of 250-300mv+ voltage increase (over 290) with trixx, without ever having to touch a new BIOS
3. With that said, even if the silicone was not improved, and all these clocks are coming by way of voltage, we are still being given more potential voltage, so overclocks on this series should be higher either way thumb.gif

Agent Smith1984 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 12066 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 12:31 PM
Linux Lobbyist
 
Amhro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 984
Rep: 22 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith1984 View Post

@Amhro

Can you tell me your MSI 390 Default clocks?

Mine are not as advertised.

I am reporting 1040/1500 instead of 1060/1525

Also, have you had any driver/CCC/game issues.

Any overclocking yet?

Thanks
Same here, 1040/1500.
On official site it says it's gaming mode http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9-390-GAMING-8G.html#hero-overview
Games are fine so far, only issue I had with CCC was changing some settings - turned them on, then back off and screen went black, had to restart.
Haven't tried overclocking yet, will get to that later biggrin.gif

Tried running 4K on 55" TV and there were few issues, like grey line on right side and couldn't figure it out.

vlocka
(14 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 2700X
Motherboard
ASUS CROSSHAIR VII HERO
GPU
MSI R9 390
RAM
G.SKILL TRIDENT Z 16GB 3200/14
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Hard Drive
Crucial M4
Power Supply
Corsair RM650i
Cooling
COOLER MASTER MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
Case
PHANTEKS P400S TG White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ G2420HDB
Keyboard
A4 X7
Mouse
A4 V8M
Audio
HyperX Cloud
▲ hide details ▲
Amhro is offline  
post #23 of 12066 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,816
Rep: 129 (Unique: 88)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amhro View Post

Same here, 1040/1500.
On official site it says it's gaming mode http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9-390-GAMING-8G.html#hero-overview
Games are fine so far, only issue I had with CCC was changing some settings - turned them on, then back off and screen went black, had to restart.
Haven't tried overclocking yet, will get to that later biggrin.gif

Tried running 4K on 55" TV and there were few issues, like grey line on right side and couldn't figure it out.

DERP!!!

See what happens when you rush things?? lol

I didn't even install the MSI gaming app, or included version of AfterBurner from the CD.

No optical drive in my rig, so I'll DL that app and test later.

May also look for an AB update also, to see if there is some missing support form current version....

Agent Smith1984 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 12066 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 12:56 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 79
Rep: 0
390 looks great for me at 1080p from doing my research just unsure if i should go for that or a 290x at this stage with them been basically the same price in the uk, if only the 390x was a little less i could justify getting it.

jwcw is offline  
post #25 of 12066 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 01:01 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
razerprecicion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2
Rep: 0
i had to return my 390 becasue i killed my motherboard and didnt have the money to replace it frown.gif
razerprecicion is offline  
post #26 of 12066 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 01:04 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
DividebyZERO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,152
Rep: 63 (Unique: 48)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcw View Post

390 looks great for me at 1080p from doing my research just unsure if i should go for that or a 290x at this stage with them been basically the same price in the uk, if only the 390x was a little less i could justify getting it.

290x with 8gb vs 390 with 8gb? They would be pretty much equal. 390x is faster than 290x though even if its only clock speed its stock clock is like 10% or more faster.
DividebyZERO is offline  
post #27 of 12066 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,816
Rep: 129 (Unique: 88)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcw View Post

390 looks great for me at 1080p from doing my research just unsure if i should go for that or a 290x at this stage with them been basically the same price in the uk, if only the 390x was a little less i could justify getting it.

390 is backed by the latest driver revisions and no one knows if 290 series will get the benefits of that revision or not.

Also, the 390 is beating the 290x in most benchmarks, and has twice the VRAM.

Not saying it's better, just saying it's newer, faster, and costs the same....

Wait...

Maybe I am saying it's better tongue.gif

For the best look at the 390.... look at this Fury X review...
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/11.html

It includes the 290x, the 390, and the 390x... and these are with reference samples.

It sheds a nice light on both the 390 and the 390x....
But as with the last series, you gotta determine if that $ difference to go from 390 to 390x is worth the performance improvement.

I will say that, with the tess improvements in the 15.15 drivers, that 256 shader increase does a lot more for the 390x than it ever did for the 290x.

In many of those charts I could see a highly clocked 390x performing very closely with a Fury X (especially at 1080/1440), which is probably a bigger testament to Fury's poor release drivers, but it's also a huge statement for how well the "Grenada" is performing TODAY.

Agent Smith1984 is offline  
post #28 of 12066 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 04:02 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 79
Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DividebyZERO View Post

290x with 8gb vs 390 with 8gb? They would be pretty much equal. 390x is faster than 290x though even if its only clock speed its stock clock is like 10% or more faster.

No i was thinking 290x 4gb or 390 8gb but think the 390 is the right choice for me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith1984 View Post

390 is backed by the latest driver revisions and no one knows if 290 series will get the benefits of that revision or not.

Also, the 390 is beating the 290x in most benchmarks, and has twice the VRAM.

Not saying it's better, just saying it's newer, faster, and costs the same....

Wait...

Maybe I am saying it's better tongue.gif

For the best look at the 390.... look at this Fury X review...
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/11.html

It includes the 290x, the 390, and the 390x... and these are with reference samples.

It sheds a nice light on both the 390 and the 390x....
But as with the last series, you gotta determine if that $ difference to go from 390 to 390x is worth the performance improvement.

I will say that, with the tess improvements in the 15.15 drivers, that 256 shader increase does a lot more for the 390x than it ever did for the 290x.

In many of those charts I could see a highly clocked 390x performing very closely with a Fury X (especially at 1080/1440), which is probably a bigger testament to Fury's poor release drivers, but it's also a huge statement for how well the "Grenada" is performing TODAY.

Thanks very helpful i did have a look at the 970 also instead of a 390 but the ram issue does bother me slightly and i think the 390 is the correct choice for me cant really justify the extra for the 390x and dont want to wait longer for the nano

jwcw is offline  
post #29 of 12066 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,816
Rep: 129 (Unique: 88)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcw View Post

No i was thinking 290x 4gb or 390 8gb but think the 390 is the right choice for me now!
Thanks very helpful i did have a look at the 970 also instead of a 390 but the ram issue does bother me slightly and i think the 390 is the correct choice for me cant really justify the extra for the 390x and dont want to wait longer for the nano
I can't see anyone regretting getting the 390.... It's proving to be a great value!

Agent Smith1984 is offline  
post #30 of 12066 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 05:21 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Pyrokills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)




Picked up a 390x. No overclocking as of yet.
Pyrokills is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off