Modded R9 390X BIOS for R9 290/290X (Updated 02/16/2016) - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Modded R9 390X BIOS for R9 290/290X (Updated 02/16/2016)

post #21 of 2216 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 137 (Unique: 110)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

That rom I've had since Jan 15, IIRC is on TPU, I gained via Sapphire forum. Members share updated roms from Sapphire Support via PM as you can't post them there.

I sort of get why people wish to flash to 390 / X but for me it doesn't float my boat, for various reasons. Some the The Stilt has posted here and other forums.

I had that card for roughly 6mths with that rom, that card was one of the best Hawaii out of the 3 I've owned.

It did 1100 / 1475 on +25mv all day long, I had many hours of gaming / benching and even had several 48hrs plus [email protected] sessions with it and never a black screen, artifact or a hitch.

Damn I wish I'd never sold it at times.

Wow that is awesome. I think I might try out that BIOS after I'm done playing around with the 390X BIOS. Although I am still convinced that my cards are lemons.

Have you seen my posts in the Guru3D thread? My cards need 1.328(mV) on the core with maxed out Power-Limit just to be stable with a 103 Mhz core overclock and NO memory overclock at all with the modded R9 390X BIOS. That is definitely not how it should be. redface.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 2216 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

Holy cow! You modded tighter memory timings into the latest v1.5 BIOS? That is awesome! I am going to continue my tests tonight with this version then instead of the default version. Hopefully the altered memory timings don't cause any flashing issues or instability though! Thanks for this! biggrin.gif
Don't worry, they are not very tight, someone already tried out The Stilts 1250 MHz memory strap with 1500MHz, without artifacts.
post #23 of 2216 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard View Post

Don't worry, they are not very tight, someone already tried out The Stilts 1250 MHz memory strap with 1500MHz, without artifacts.

Nice! That is good to know. Now... If only my cards could do 1500MHz on the memory... rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 2216 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Meddling user

Rep: 730 (Unique: 342)
Quote:

Wow that is awesome. I think I might try out that BIOS after I'm done playing around with the 390X BIOS. Although I am still convinced that my cards are lemons.

Only my opinion from have played around with differing roms from manufacturer for the Sapphire Tri-X 290 , Asus DCUII 290X and Vapor-X 290X.

A rom may improve slightly stability for an OC but it will not make a GPU that can't do 1100 start doing it, only what I found and could be wrong.
Quote:

Have you seen my posts in the Guru3D thread? My cards need 1.328(mV) on the core with maxed out Power-Limit just to be stable with a 103 Mhz core overclock and NO memory overclock at all with the modded R9 390X BIOS. That is definitely not how it should be. redface.gif

I'm probably gonna not make you feel so great by what I'm typing next ....

The Tri-X 290 I owned was a STD edition it came with 957MHz GPU 1250MHz RAM ...

It was silicon lottery that it did what it did at such low offset ...

TBH never tried giving it more volts as was happy with that OC for 24/7 use ...
post #25 of 2216 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Only my opinion from have played around with differing roms from manufacturer for the Sapphire Tri-X 290 , Asus DCUII 290X and Vapor-X 290X.

A rom may improve slightly stability for an OC but it will not make a GPU that can't do 1100 start doing it, only what I found and could be wrong.
I'm probably gonna not make you feel so great by what I'm typing next ....

The Tri-X 290 I owned was a STD edition it came with 957MHz GPU 1250MHz RAM ...

It was silicon lottery that it did what it did at such low offset ...

TBH never tried giving it more volts as was happy with that OC for 24/7 use ...

Ah I see... Maybe that is just the case then. Maybe some R9 290's are just not mean't (or made) to be pushed very far at all. Oh well though, I am still having a good bit of fun playing around with all of these different roms. tongue.gif
post #26 of 2216 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Sapphire Tri-X 290 OC edition bios is ref PCB. The one I owned had the silk screen AMD logo near PCI-Express fingers.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Version 015.044.000.011.000000 , UEFI & Non UEFI roms, this has +25mv GPU Core Voltage preset, these roms have not been modded in any way.

SapphireR9290TriXOCBIOS.zip 378k .zip file

MD5 Checksum: E66CB84DACF5D10687960E3533D366AB

My apologies for the double post, but I just thought I would let you know that I attempted to flash the .U44 version of this BIOS and that made my card not bootable. Interesting. What version did you use to flash? The .O44 instead?

*Edit: Just tried to flash the .O44 version and that caused my card to be unable to boot as well. Odd. Oh well, back to the BIOS drawing board!
Quote:

If you really want a good update, you should use better memory timings.biggrin.gif
The 390X memory timings looks like they are slower.
I moded the Hynix memory timings from The Stilts MLU BIOS into your BIOS.
r9_390x_4gb_1.33v_TEST345Stilt.zip 99k .zip file

You can compare them with OpenClMembench, or CompuBench thumb.gif
oclmembench.zip 174k .zip file

I tried to flash this BIOS you made with the updated memory timings but it made my card not bootable as well. Hmm, could there be an typo or an issue of some kind that you missed while making the updates? Just figured I would let you know. tongue.gif
post #27 of 2216 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 06:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 749 (Unique: 286)
If you use over 1.3V for the GPU (which certainly isn´t recommended), do yourself a favor and DO NOT run Furmark.

The VRM can provide around 360A of current without burning, and a GPU running at >1.3V might just exceed it in Furmark (depending on leakage). The higher your "ASIC Quality" (GPU-Z) is the higher your leakage level is and vice versa. Higher leakage means the GPU will require less voltage to operate, however it´s maximum safe voltage level is lower at the same time. Lower leakage parts require higher voltages, however their break down voltage is slightly greater too.

Note that the VRM current capability is completely temperature dependant, so don´t expect it to survive at high temperatures.
It can provide 360A at 25°C, but it can still burn with <150A load at 110°C.

High ASIC "Quality" (Leakage) = Lower operating voltage, larger current draw, hotter, less energy efficient (due higher losses)
Low ASIC "Quality" = Higher operating voltage, lower current draw, cooler, more energy efficient

Unless you are using LN2 you definitely want the leakage to be as low as possible.
Even under LN2 the high leakage characteristics are only desired because the difference in voltage scaling.
All ASICs despite the leakage have some sort of design specific absolute voltage limit. The low leakage ASIC might run into this limit prior reaching the maximum clocks.

You can use this software the check the default, leakage dependant voltage of your CPU specimen: http://1drv.ms/1Hln01F

The software must be run at default settings (as it came from the factory; clocks, voltages), otherwise the results will be invalid.

Unless your default voltage is greater than 1.250V you should never exceed 1.300V.

Also never trust the VDDC voltage reading displayed GPU-Z or Afterburner.
Even at stock the voltage reads around 56mV too low and the discrepancy only increases with the increased current draw (higher clocks and voltage).
post #28 of 2216 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 06:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

The 390X memory timings was a mess.
It has a additional 1425 MHz strap, but also two 1250 MHz straps.
After I copied the whole block, it ends up with two 1750 MHz straps.
Sorry about that, now it should be working.

I leave the 1425 MHz strap in there, also the last 2000 MHz strap.
The rest is 290X memory timings, including the two modified straps (1250, 1375) from The Stilt.
r9_390x_4gb_1.33v_TEST345Stilt3.zip 99k .zip file
LOL, forget to set the right recognition.
Now its good.
Attached Files
File Type: zip r9_390x_4gb_1.33v_TEST345Stilt3.zip (99.0 KB, 90 views)
post #29 of 2216 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

If you use over 1.3V for the GPU (which certainly isn´t recommended), do yourself a favor and DO NOT run Furmark.

The VRM can provide around 360A of current without burning, and a GPU running at >1.3V might just exceed it in Furmark (depending on leakage). The higher your "ASIC Quality" (GPU-Z) is the higher your leakage level is and vice versa. Higher leakage means the GPU will require less voltage to operate, however it´s maximum safe voltage level is lower at the same time. Lower leakage parts require higher voltages, however their break down voltage is slightly greater too.

Note that the VRM current capability is completely temperature dependant, so don´t expect it to survive at high temperatures.
It can provide 360A at 25°C, but it can still burn with <150A load at 110°C.

High ASIC "Quality" (Leakage) = Lower operating voltage, larger current draw, hotter, less energy efficient (due higher losses)
Low ASIC "Quality" = Higher operating voltage, lower current draw, cooler, more energy efficient

Unless you are using LN2 you definitely want the leakage to be as low as possible.
Even under LN2 the high leakage characteristics are only desired because the difference in voltage scaling.
All ASICs despite the leakage have some sort of design specific absolute voltage limit. The low leakage ASIC might run into this limit prior reaching the maximum clocks.

You can use this software the check the default, leakage dependant voltage of your CPU specimen: http://1drv.ms/1Hln01F

The software must be run at default settings (as it came from the factory; clocks, voltages), otherwise the results will be invalid.

Unless your default voltage is greater than 1.250V you should never exceed 1.300V.

Also never trust the VDDC voltage reading displayed GPU-Z or Afterburner.
Even at stock the voltage reads around 56mV too low and the discrepancy only increases with the increased current draw (higher clocks and voltage).

Never fear, that BIOS with the super high voltage was not even stable for me in games at the stock settings so it is back to the drawing board. I am currently working on a custom BIOS that uses the R9 390X BIOS as a base. It is proving to be very stable in games for me so far, but I still have more tweaking to do. But you are correct, that 1.33(mV) BIOS was basically suicide.

This is a photo of the custom BIOS that I am working on. With these settings is plays VERY nicely with my reference R9 290:

While you are here though The Stilt I do have a quick question to run by you. Could you elaborate on what the risks and possible rewards are of increasing the "TDP MAX, Power limit, and TDC limit" of the BIOS? More specifically, is it more dangerous to increase the TDC limit if your PCB is reference versus a custom PCB that has more power phases? Thanks!
Quote:

The 390X memory timings was a mess.
It has a additional 1425 MHz strap, but also two 1250 MHz straps.
After I copied the whole block, it ends up with two 1750 MHz straps.
Sorry about that, now it should be working.

I leave the 1425 MHz strap in there, also the last 2000 MHz strap.
The rest is 290X memory timings, including the two modified straps (1250, 1375) from The Stilt.
r9_390x_4gb_1.33v_TEST345Stilt3.zip 99k .zip file
LOL, forget to set the right recognition.
Now its good.

Thanks for patching that up. Although the BIOS you modded that into still has the 1.33(mV) voltage and ridiculously high Power Limit and TDP Max. If you wouldn't mind waiting a day or two I am working on a pretty solid version of the R9 390X BIOS with Hawaii BIOS Editor that I would really like to have you insert the updated memory timings into. Do you think that is do-able? smile.gif
post #30 of 2216 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 08:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Thanks for patching that up. Although the BIOS you modded that into still has the 1.33(mV) voltage and ridiculously high Power Limit and TDP Max. If you wouldn't mind waiting a day or two I am working on a pretty solid version of the R9 390X BIOS with Hawaii BIOS Editor that I would really like to have you insert the updated memory timings into. Do you think that is do-able? smile.gif
Yes, no prob, it's just copy and paste.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in