Modded R9 390X BIOS for R9 290/290X (Updated 02/16/2016) - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Modded R9 390X BIOS for R9 290/290X (Updated 02/16/2016)

post #31 of 2217 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 08:35 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3134 (Unique: 1869)
Lard, are you familar with the memory timings on the non-reference 290X parts using Samsung ICs?

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2217 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 137 (Unique: 110)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard View Post

Yes, no prob, it's just copy and paste.

Sweet! I can't wait to see the results of that. Here, this is an early version of the custom BIOS I am working on. Want to give it a shot? I will test this one first thing tomorrow. biggrin.gif

DOWNLOAD: http://www.filedropper.com/r9390xstable10

*Edit: Updated OP with "preview" version of the BIOS.
post #33 of 2217 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Lard, are you familar with the memory timings on the non-reference 290X parts using Samsung ICs?
Since there are no modded memory timings for Samsung, the only way to make them tighter is to change the MHz presets, like I did it for the HD 7970:
https://www.overclock.net/t/1554360/tahiti-memory-timings-patch-for-hynix-vram
I'm using The Stilts 1250 MHz strap with 1700 MHz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

Sweet! I can't wait to see the results of that. Here, this is an early version of the custom BIOS I am working on. Want to give it a shot? I will test this one first thing tomorrow. biggrin.gif
Here you go:
R9_390X_Stable1.0mem.zip 99k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip R9_390X_Stable1.0mem.zip (99.0 KB, 56 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 2217 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:59 PM
Meddling user

Rep: 730 (Unique: 342)
Quote:

My apologies for the double post, but I just thought I would let you know that I attempted to flash the .U44 version of this BIOS and that made my card not bootable. Interesting. What version did you use to flash? The .O44 instead?

U44 = UEFI rom
O44 = Non UEFI

I think there is a TXT from Sapphire support in the zip stating this.

Why it didn't work IMO is that rom defaults to 1000MHz GPU 1300 RAM as that is what Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC edition is , IIRC you can't do that RAM figure? if so use HawaiiReader to mod bios.
post #35 of 2217 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
So my 2 290s are under water and do 1100Mhz @max power limit and an additional +17Mv all day long. Would I benefit from a custom bios? I am asking because I like pushing these things to the limit lol. The memory for my cards is a bit iffy do, even if I touch it minimally the cards will artifact. Just wonder if I could be doing better with a custom bios.

Cheers.

devil.gif
post #36 of 2217 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by braincracking View Post

So my 2 290s are under water and do 1100Mhz @max power limit and an additional +17Mv all day long. Would I benefit from a custom bios? I am asking because I like pushing these things to the limit lol. The memory for my cards is a bit iffy do, even if I touch it minimally the cards will artifact. Just wonder if I could be doing better with a custom bios.

Cheers.

Is that +17mv on top of stock voltage? Or just plain plus 17mv? If the latter, you have good chips! My 290 VaporX has plus 25mv at stock and does 1100mhz at that.

It will howevwr only do an extra 50mhz on memory for 1450mhz before artifacting. The thing is, you need core voltage to keep memory stable with Hawaii chips. I can do 1175/1650 at plus 75mv.

You can pump 100mv through those cards all day asyyou're under water, so do that, and determine your best memory and core overcclocks using that voltage.
post #37 of 2217 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

U44 = UEFI rom
O44 = Non UEFI

I think there is a TXT from Sapphire support in the zip stating this.

Why it didn't work IMO is that rom defaults to 1000MHz GPU 1300 RAM as that is what Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC edition is , IIRC you can't do that RAM figure? if so use HawaiiReader to mod bios.

Good call. I didn't think to attempt to edit this BIOS with HawaiiReader. I'll try that again later. But yes I did read the TXT file that was included from Sapphire although it wasn't very full of information. tongue.gif

*Edit: I renamed both files to .rom and was able to open them with HawaiiReader. Everything looks great in this BIOS except it has a TDC Limit of 216A. Reference R9 290 PCBs generally have a TDC Limit of 200A in their BIOS. Are you sure this BIOS was for a reference PCB @gupsterg? If so, how much can you increase the TDC Limit on a reference PCB while still being "safe"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by braincracking View Post

Cheers.

Wow so your cards do 1100 / 1250 MHz with only +50% Power Limit and +17(mV) in MSI AB or whatever program you use? I would say that is pretty good! With the cards under water I would say push the voltage and aux. voltage to +100(mV) and see where you can get the core clock to! You should be perfectly safe to push high voltages, especially with water cooling.

For you I don't think there is any reason to update to a newer BIOS but It may be worth a shot. It is an easy process to do and un-do especially if you use ATIFLASH from a DOS boot-stick. Which is the recommended way because if you get a bad flash you can just flip the switch to the good BIOS, boot into DOS, flip the switch back to the bad BIOS and then just flash over it. biggrin.gif
Quote:

Since there are no modded memory timings for Samsung, the only way to make them tighter is to change the MHz presets, like I did it for the HD 7970:
https://www.overclock.net/t/1554360/tahiti-memory-timings-patch-for-hynix-vram
I'm using The Stilts 1250 MHz strap with 1700 MHz.
Here you go:
R9_390X_Stable1.0mem.zip 99k .zip file

Hey @Lard, I just got around to trying the latest BIOS you gave me with the modified memory timings and it still was a no go. It seems either my card just does not like the timings or it conflicts with the R9 390X BIOS somehow. You can take a deeper look into it if you want. For now I have just uploaded the next revision of my R9 290 stable (390X) BIOS. smile.gif
post #38 of 2217 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 10:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 129 (Unique: 88)
I'm curious to see if people who are flashing their 290's to the 390 BIOS are getting improved VRAM overclocking....

I don't expect anyone to see an improvement in core clocking.... old silicon is old silicon.

There were some improvements in the manufacturing process for Hawaii, that helped these cards run at higher clocks on less voltage. However, it didn't necessarily help the maximum OC ceiling, as it still seems to be in the 1175-1200 range on air.... Ithey just seems to get there on 50-100mv now, instead of needing to push 150-200 on Trixx.

There were always some golden samples from the 200 series that would do that too though, so nothing earth shattering. rolleyes.gif

post #39 of 2217 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 11:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 29)
Quote:

Hey @Lard, I just got around to trying the latest BIOS you gave me with the modified memory timings and it still was a no go. It seems either my card just does not like the timings or it conflicts with the R9 390X BIOS somehow. You can take a deeper look into it if you want. For now I have just uploaded the next revision of my R9 290 stable (390X) BIOS. smile.gif
Like I wrote, your BIOS has two 1250 MHz straps, the second one is replacing the 1500 MHz strap.
I fixed that, so you have proper 390X timings, and then I replaced this time only your 1250 MHz strap with The Stilts memory timings.
If this is not working, I have no clue, because on a 290X BIOS its not a problem.
If its working, we can try to replace other straps with 290X memory timings, if you want.
R9_390X_Stable_V1.1bmem.zip 99k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip R9_390X_Stable_V1.1bmem.zip (98.9 KB, 35 views)
post #40 of 2217 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Like I wrote, your BIOS has two 1250 MHz straps, the second one is replacing the 1500 MHz strap.
I fixed that, so you have proper 390X timings, and then I replaced this time only your 1250 MHz strap with The Stilts memory timings.
If this is not working, I have no clue, because on a 290X BIOS its not a problem.
If its working, we can try to replace other straps with 290X memory timings, if you want.
R9_390X_Stable_V1.1bmem.zip 99k .zip file

I will test this one momentarily then. I hope this one functions properly as I think the problem was the 1500 MHz strap. Now that it is 1250 MHz it should be much more compatible. Thanks again! thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in