today is really not my day brothas.. (GPU output blacking out) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

today is really not my day brothas.. (GPU output blacking out)

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Hey guys. My rig is 1.5 years old. Specs are in my flair but anyway its: i7 5820K
16gb ddr4
Visiontek R9 290X 4gb
MSI Gaming X99 7S board
Playing Battlefield 1 today on ultra settings, performance is fine, great frame rates. GPU is loud as heck per usual. I get into a match and about 1-2 minutes into it, my monitor goes black and my GPU fans go back down to low speed instantly. My computer is still on but seems to be rebooting after this black out. But my monitor is not detecting signal from GPU. I unplug my monitor, plug in my PS4 to the monitor, shows that fine. So its not my cable or monitor.
Pressing Hard reset button on the front of my case does not get any video back on monitor. Only if I press the power ( set to start normal healthy shut down), and then turn it back on from 100% cold, then I get video back. Works fine unless I run Battlefield 1 for about 1-2 minutes. I have owned Battlefield 1 for a week now and this is only happening today.
When running demanding games, my GPU can get up to 90C very easily, 100% usage. It's 52c right now on 0% load watching you tube lol. I googled this and apparently a lot of other people with the visiontek R9 290x 4GB have the same insane temps but many people say it keeps working ( at that moment at least). My initial guess is that maybe my GPU is dying and over heating from Battlefield 1 but I don't currently own any other games as demanding as BF1 to test if its temps. Are there Any free programs out there that can run stress test on my GPU to see if its an overheating issue? At the same time I don't want to completely kill my GPU with a stress test because I need my computer for work related non gaming stuff over the next two days and It works fine unless I play a demanding game. I tried some less demanding games like Killing floor 2 which makes my gpu only go to 68c and it does not black out. only under stress
I am not worried though because I have 3 year repairs plan with microcenter for all components that came with my system so worst case Ill drop it off and hopefully they can swap out the card for something new. but then my desktop is out of commision for 48 hours.
Thoughts?

UPDATE: I ran Valley Benchmark at "Ultra HD" preset and and it happened again. Crapped out and screen went black again. Got to 85-90 c and went black after like 30 seconds into benchmark. second time it went about a minute into benchmark before blacking out and computer starting rebooting. was getting 75-80 fps though :"D

Lenovo Y570

Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M (Lenovo)
465GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA)
AUDIO: Scarlett 2i2 USB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:42 AM
Overclock Failed...

Rep: 1249 (Unique: 969)
What is your current case cooling setup?

You could try removing a side panel from your case and setting up a fan to blow into it. If the problem goes away that you know that you need better case cooling.

Something like one of these:

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
....and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:43 AM
Expert pin bender

Rep: 154 (Unique: 91)
Could also be a power supply issue under load. Might want to remove video card and clean out dust from fan and heatsink. The cover on reference 290x is like 6 or. 4 small screws and a plastic cover.

Good luck!

GPU i currently own: 390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/RX 580 - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:03 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 485 (Unique: 408)
While I'm inclined to think your on the right track, that the GPU is overheating or it's a faulty PSU- is there any chance it could be a driver issue? If you recently updated I might try rolling back to see if there's any change.

Checkout my DOSBox LIVEusb - https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/
Retrogaming made portable.

PassMark System Score: Passmark Rating 5,710, CPU Mark 19,985CPU-Z Validation: LINK AIDA64: LINKCinebench15: LINK Geekbench3 scores: LINK Geekbench4.1 scores: LINKUserBenchmarks: CPU: 105.5%, GPU: 111.7% MEM: 127.9%

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in