[MOD] Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC - Better Custom BIOS - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[MOD] Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC - Better Custom BIOS

post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AMD BIOS Alchemist

Rep: 52 (Unique: 32)
[MOD] Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC - Better Custom BIOS

LAST MAJOR FIX: 0.05.3 (480 ID version had the wrong ID -.-" I'm dumb - 580 ID version untouched)
LAST THREAD CHANGES: Added ZeroFan offset to the offsets list
SHOULD YOU UPDATE?
  • Use ANY ID version < 0.05.1? YES - MAJOR FIX RELEASED
  • Use 480 ID version < 0.05.3? YES - MAJOR FIX RELEASED
  • Use 580 ID version = 0.05.1? Not needed, but suggested (minor mem OC fix)
  • Use 580 ID version = 0.05.2? Not needed

FEATURES + CHANGE-LOGS:

Spoiler!

INTERESTING OFFSETS LIST:
Spoiler!

BUG??? WattMan settings are weird / Overclock fail to apply / Mem Overclock fails / How to properly change OC inside WattMan
Spoiler!

F.A.Q.:
Spoiler!

HOW TO UPDATE (paranoid way):
Spoiler!

"WHICH VALUES/MODS/SETTINGS DO YOU USE VENTO"?:
Spoiler!

1.300 Volt WATTMAN VERSION:
Spoiler!

TODO:
Spoiler!

DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER Sapphire RX 480 MODEL? (4 GB or not-"OC" or not-"NITRO+")
Spoiler!

Special Thanks to...
  • @Jestercore we were trying RX 580/480 bios and exchanging results for months
  • @generaleramon for general VRM & memory mod help, and because he's Italian like me
  • @deeper-blue for VRMTool and general VRM help
  • @BromoL for WattTool
  • @gupsterg I lurked for years thanks to yours excellent guides
  • buildzoid for PCB breakdowns videos and knowledge about VRM and memory timings
  • @mynm "ASIC_ProfilingInfo" table tweaks. Team member.
  • @hellm UEFI Patch :D. Team member.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Nitro+ BCB v0.05.3 - by Vento.zip (1.51 MB, 189 views)

Zephyr R.B.R.T. (Red BIOS Rebellion Team)
(*) ATOMTableResize (*) R_Timings - Encode/Decode RX/R9 Memory Straps
(*) Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC - Better Custom BIOS (*) SimpleBiosDiff
(*) Extremely short guide on EDC errors (*) jYABE - Yet Another Bios Editor (early stage of development)
Bought a XFX RX 590 Fatboy! Looking for IR 35217 datasheet! Selling my Hybrid RX 480 Nitro+ OC 8GB.

Last edited by Vento041; 01-02-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
That post on Reddit is 5 month old...

It is THAT BIOS, isn't it?
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AMD BIOS Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhazz View Post

That post on Reddit is 5 month old...

It is THAT BIOS, isn't it?

It's based on those (you can find them in the internet since there is the sha)

Those two bios are just an updated version of the silent and oc bios for a nitro+ oc, they act like usual. My mod is based on these two bios and all the features implemented were done manually by me xD (except for the 1.175 vmax, that's a peculiarity of the silent bios).

Do you have a nitro+ oc?

(*) Extremely short guide on EDC errors (*) jYABE - Yet Another Bios Editor (early stage of development)
Bought a XFX RX 590 Fatboy! Looking for IR 35217 datasheet! Selling my Hybrid RX 480 Nitro+ OC 8GB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vento041 View Post

It's based on those (you can find them in the internet since there is the sha)

Those two bios are just an updated version of the silent and oc bios for a nitro+ oc, they act like usual. My mod is based on these two bios and all the features implemented were done manually by me xD (except for the 1.175 vmax, that's a peculiarity of the silent bios).

Do you have a nitro+ oc?

Yes I have, 8Gb samsung memory, that don't OC very well by the way...

In afterburner I have -6mv core voltage +0PL% 1360Mhz clock and 2050memory. That the best I can get considering heat, noise, memory error (i like to have 0 all the time).
Oh, and I have set Core voltage to 1135 in WattTool. So it peaks at 1.156V (GPU-z and HWinfo sensor reading) Should'nt it be 1.154 (1135 + 25 - 6)?

All that with ubermix timing 3.1 from generaleramon. That's all I have modded in the bios.

Have test some RX580 mod, but gave up as now I just want to enjoy and play games lol.
So I'm stick with RX480bios and some minor tweeks.
Or maybe try BIOS from someone with same card that shares his work with others, like you do wink.gif
post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
AMD BIOS Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhazz View Post

In afterburner I have -6mv core voltage +0PL% 1360Mhz clock and 2050memory. That the best I can get considering heat, noise, memory error (i like to have 0 all the time).
Oh, and I have set Core voltage to 1135 in WattTool. So it peaks at 1.156V (GPU-z and HWinfo sensor reading) Should'nt it be 1.154 (1135 + 25 - 6)?

Or maybe try BIOS from someone with same card that shares his work with others, like you do wink.gif[/quote]

Are you using my bios?
Does it works well? The 2mV spike could be just loadline effect, if you use my bios remember that the native offset is 0 so if you set 1000 mV core voltage you'll get 1000 mV.

post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 02:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vento041 View Post

Are you using my bios?
Does it works well? The 2mV spike could be just loadline effect, if you use my bios remember that the native offset is 0 so if you set 1000 mV core voltage you'll get 1000 mV.

No it's the original BIOS (not MY original, but the one I linked in my previous post. I will give a try to yours this evening and tell you what happens.

Thanks for help and rep anyway wink.gif
post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:36 AM
hex junkie

Rep: 123 (Unique: 74)
how did you implemented the 1000MHz mem step? Does this also include any GPU stuff? The complete 580 PowerPlayTable?

Comandante R.B.R.T. (Red BIOS Rebellion Team)
Polaris BIOS Mod | Vega PowerPlay Mod | VII PowerPlay Mod
post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AMD BIOS Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellm View Post

how did you implemented the 1000MHz mem step? Does this also include any GPU stuff? The complete 580 PowerPlayTable?

Nope, I studied how the PowerPlayTable is structured in both an RX 4xx bios and a RX 5xx bios, but evrything was don by patching the original powerplaytable

I used as reference readon linux drivers (atombios.h, etc, ... ) and OhGodATool source (there is an error in the offsets, "uint32_t MaxODMemClk;" start from 0x1B not 0x1A, and all the other offsets after that! So the sub-table starts from 0x23 not 0x22!).

Since I inserted a frequency step between 300 and 2000, the "index" of the 2000 step has changed so I had to replace most of the reference to this step (I remember that in IT we start to count from 0!!!! so 300 have index 0 and 2000 had index 1).

I modded these sub-tables:
  • PolarisMemClkDepTable, added new record, updated records count and updated lenght, each record is D bytes long (D hex = 14 dec)
  • PolarisVCEStateTable, indexes of some records
  • PolarisState, "MemClockIdxHigh" from 1 (the old index of 2000) to 2 (the new index of 2000)
  • PPTableHeader, updated lenght and changed sub-tables offsets since PolarisMemClkDepTable is bigger

Fun fact: if you forget to update the indexes your memory will (logically) cap at 1000 MHz.

post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:14 PM
hex junkie

Rep: 123 (Unique: 74)
thx for the info smile.gif
i need just a little more.. VRM switching frequency:
Quote:
Change VRM Frequency: search these Hex Values "00 62 00 7E 00 69 00 20 00 8D 00 00 00 22 00 60" and change the "60" at the end.
i looked over the 480 nitro+ bios (that bios^^), and the voltage object info table:

..and it stops right after byte 2B. No fSW, no register 22. Where did u find 500kHz switching frequency? Not set is default?

Comandante R.B.R.T. (Red BIOS Rebellion Team)
Polaris BIOS Mod | Vega PowerPlay Mod | VII PowerPlay Mod
post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
AMD BIOS Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellm View Post

thx for the info smile.gif
i need just a little more.. VRM switching frequency:
i looked over the 480 nitro+ bios (that bios^^), and the voltage object info table:

..and it stops right after byte 2B. No fSW, no register 22. Where did u find 500kHz switching frequency? Not set is default?

The silent bios has nor voltage offset or fSW, the oc bios has only the voltage offset, since I base my work on the silent bios (higher Vmax) i added them both manually. The default values comes from what VRMTool report (or directly from any kind of way to dump I2C and reading registers directly) with stock OC bios installed.

I'm not completely sure about the origin of the default values, since different bios, all without the 22 register explicitly set, can have different default value. The reference, as example, should use ~300 MHz if I'm not wrong. Probably all these different values are "auto-set" by IR3567B, calculated from other register values and/or from live on-boot PCB measurements (I do not really know I'm just assuming how it could have been done).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in