Preliminary view of AMD VEGA Bios - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Preliminary view of AMD VEGA Bios

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 1382 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 10:37 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15
Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
Thanks, jstefanop, that got rid of one of the problems, just a few more to figure out now smile.gif
ratbuddy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 1382 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Meddling user
 
gupsterg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Lurking over a keyboard
Posts: 7,160
Rep: 774 (Unique: 354)
@jstefanop

+rep for share of full ROM thumb.gif .

Have you flashed a modded ROM to see if driver checks for signature?

Also be aware a modified ROM can not be run with CSM: Disabled as the UEFI/GOP module must validate signature in Legacy section to know ROM is unmodified. Workaround on Fiji and below was a custom UEFI/GOP module that Lordkag on Fernando's WIN RAID forum made. That UEFI/GOP will not have VEGA support as it's too old. The custom UEFI/GOP allowed CSM: Off, Fast Boot: On, Secure Boot must be off as the signature in UEFI/GOP module wasn't updated by Lordkag, so fails validation by mobo UEFI if On.

Polaris and prior GPU supporting UEFI/GOP version:-

GOP Driver Name: AMD GOP X64 Release Driver Rev.1.60.0.15.50.Feb 1 2016.14:59:32

VEGA UEFI/GOP version:-

GOP Driver Name: AMD GOP X64 Release Driver Rev.2.0.0.0.0.Mar 29 2017.16:44:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

1.36v? That's even higher than the Fury's HBM, which was running at 1.3. In both cases the memory should have been running at 1.2v. I wonder if that is part of the problem in bringing the card to market.

See here at 18:48:


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

This is what I said to buildzoid/my opinion on the matter on Reddit where that video was also linked.
gupsterg is offline  
post #23 of 1382 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 04:26 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
The Stilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,522
Rep: 847 (Unique: 324)
Based on the bios I looked at (300W air cooled), there won't be any voltage adjustments (IR35217) unless the bioses are modified. And no telemetry either (voltage, current, power or temperature readings).
The Stilt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 1382 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
Meddling user
 
gupsterg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Lurking over a keyboard
Posts: 7,160
Rep: 774 (Unique: 354)
I was viewing Powetune table a few nights ago, doesn't seem to align perfectly with linux info. Either there are empty bytes after it or table is longer.
Code:
3E 02 (0x23Eh)               USHORT usPowerTuneTableOffset;
74 02 (0x274h)               USHORT usPCIETableOffset;




PowerTuneTable (Click to show)
Code:
typedef struct _ATOM_Vega10_PowerTune_Table {
07      UCHAR  ucRevId;
DC 00 (220W)    USHORT usSocketPowerLimit;
DC 00 (220W)    USHORT usBatteryPowerLimit;
DC 00 (220W)    USHORT usSmallPowerLimit;
2C 01 (300A)    USHORT usTdcLimit;
00 00           USHORT usEdcLimit;
59 00 (89°C)    USHORT usSoftwareShutdownTemp;
69 00 (105°C)   USHORT usTemperatureLimitHotSpot;
49 00 (73°C)    USHORT usTemperatureLimitLiquid1;
49 00 (73°C)    USHORT usTemperatureLimitLiquid2;
5F 00 (95°C)    USHORT usTemperatureLimitHBM;
73 00 (115°C)   USHORT usTemperatureLimitVrSoc;
73 00 (115°C)   USHORT usTemperatureLimitVrMem;
64 00 (100°C)   USHORT usTemperatureLimitPlx;
40 00 (64Ω??)   USHORT usLoadLineResistance;
90      UCHAR  ucLiquid1_I2C_address;
92      UCHAR  ucLiquid2_I2C_address;
97      UCHAR  ucVr_I2C_address;
60      UCHAR  ucPlx_I2C_address;
96      UCHAR  ucLiquid_I2C_LineSCL;
00      UCHAR  ucLiquid_I2C_LineSDA;
90      UCHAR  ucVr_I2C_LineSCL;
55      UCHAR  ucVr_I2C_LineSDA;
00      UCHAR  ucPlx_I2C_LineSCL;
00      UCHAR  ucPlx_I2C_LineSDA;
00 00   USHORT usTemperatureLimitTedge;
} ATOM_Vega10_PowerTune_Table;

typedef struct _ATOM_Vega10_PowerTune_Table_V2
{
07      UCHAR  ucRevId;
DC 00   USHORT usSocketPowerLimit;
DC 00   USHORT usBatteryPowerLimit;
DC 00   USHORT usSmallPowerLimit;
2C 01   USHORT usTdcLimit;
00 00   USHORT usEdcLimit;
59 00   USHORT usSoftwareShutdownTemp;
69 00   USHORT usTemperatureLimitHotSpot;
49 00   USHORT usTemperatureLimitLiquid1;
49 00   USHORT usTemperatureLimitLiquid2;
5F 00   USHORT usTemperatureLimitHBM;
73 00   USHORT usTemperatureLimitVrSoc;
73 00   USHORT usTemperatureLimitVrMem;
64 00   USHORT usTemperatureLimitPlx;
40 00   USHORT usLoadLineResistance;
90      UCHAR ucLiquid1_I2C_address;
92      UCHAR ucLiquid2_I2C_address;
97      UCHAR ucLiquid_I2C_Line;
60      UCHAR ucVr_I2C_address;
96      UCHAR ucVr_I2C_Line;
00      UCHAR ucPlx_I2C_address;
90      UCHAR ucPlx_I2C_Line;
55 00 (85°C)    USHORT usTemperatureLimitTedge;
} ATOM_Vega10_PowerTune_Table_V2;
gupsterg is offline  
post #25 of 1382 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 03:46 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
niko2004x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

I was viewing Powetune table a few nights ago, doesn't seem to align perfectly with linux info. Either there are empty bytes after it or table is longer.

According to get_tdp_table function in vega10_processpptables.c, ATOM_Vega10_PowerTune_Table should be used if ucRevId==5 and ATOM_Vega10_PowerTune_Table_V2 otherwise.
In released vega ucRevId for powertune table is 7.
Probably ATOM_Vega10_PowerTune_Table_V2 should be used if ucRevId==6 and powertune tables with ucRevId==7 just not described in open source linux driver.
niko2004x is offline  
post #26 of 1382 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 05:36 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
jstefanop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 83
Rep: 12 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

Based on the bios I looked at (300W air cooled), there won't be any voltage adjustments (IR35217) unless the bioses are modified. And no telemetry either (voltage, current, power or temperature readings).

What do you mean? Im assuming your referring to the fact the IR35217 is new and no one knows register descriptions yet.
jstefanop is offline  
post #27 of 1382 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 07:13 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
jstefanop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 83
Rep: 12 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

@jstefanop

+rep for share of full ROM thumb.gif .

Have you flashed a modded ROM to see if driver checks for signature?

Also be aware a modified ROM can not be run with CSM: Disabled as the UEFI/GOP module must validate signature in Legacy section to know ROM is unmodified. Workaround on Fiji and below was a custom UEFI/GOP module that Lordkag on Fernando's WIN RAID forum made. That UEFI/GOP will not have VEGA support as it's too old. The custom UEFI/GOP allowed CSM: Off, Fast Boot: On, Secure Boot must be off as the signature in UEFI/GOP module wasn't updated by Lordkag, so fails validation by mobo UEFI if On.

Polaris and prior GPU supporting UEFI/GOP version:-

GOP Driver Name: AMD GOP X64 Release Driver Rev.1.60.0.15.50.Feb 1 2016.14:59:32

VEGA UEFI/GOP version:-

GOP Driver Name: AMD GOP X64 Release Driver Rev.2.0.0.0.0.Mar 29 2017.16:44:37
This is what I said to buildzoid/my opinion on the matter on Reddit where that video was also linked.

Ok so first try at modded bios failed at post. So either the bios checksum has changed on this version, or it has something to do with the CSM (I did have CSM on). Will have to do some more digging.
jstefanop is offline  
post #28 of 1382 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:34 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
The Stilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,522
Rep: 847 (Unique: 324)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstefanop View Post

What do you mean? Im assuming your referring to the fact the IR35217 is new and no one knows register descriptions yet.

The bios disables communication to the controller (both I2C and PMBUS).
Only SVI2 based control and telemetry remain active.
The Stilt is offline  
post #29 of 1382 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Expert pin bender
 
dagget3450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,967
Rep: 154 (Unique: 91)
On a side note :
got a vega FE in to play with, and apparently VSR on vega appears to support 5k. So 3k on hawaii, 4k on fiji, and 5k vsr on vega.

my 4k monitor over a display port shows this once VSR is turned on:


GPU i currently own: 390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/RX 580 - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner
dagget3450 is offline  
post #30 of 1382 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:37 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
jstefanop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 83
Rep: 12 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

The bios disables communication to the controller (both I2C and PMBUS).
Only SVI2 based control and telemetry remain active.

Hmm guess thats why I cant find anything over the i2c busses. Any Idea why manually changing PPTable in BIOS causes no post?
jstefanop is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off