[BIOS Mod] RX480 -> RX580 Conversions + How-to RX470/RX480 -> RX570/RX580 - Page 105 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[BIOS Mod] RX480 -> RX580 Conversions + How-to RX470/RX480 -> RX570/RX580

post #1041 of 1060 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
hex junkie

Rep: 136 (Unique: 78)
Quote: Originally Posted by overpower View Post
I have asked this again and got no answers.

I'm using the rx480 strix 8gb from op. I have a hardware issue tho. My middle fan wont spin at all. Only if I force it with my finger to spin. What i want is from the fans to always run at 30% at least. I have set that from msi afterburner, but still between bios boot screen and windows log in, it stops spinning and it wont until the next boot (which they will temporary spin at max for a sec).

Is there any way to set it from gpu bios to always run at 30%? I see the fan settings section at op, but i cant figure out how to edit the bios (open it etc)
@hellm
I believe i answered this before. All the fans are fed by the same power source, so if one of them doesn't work as intended, everything indicates a hardware failure. BIOS only delivers one fan settings table.

Now for the 30% minimum, yes that is possible. I believe you have to raise the idle PWM value, found in the fan settings section in post#3.
If you don't know how to edit it, try a hex editor. I can recommend HxD.

Comandante R.B.R.T. (Red BIOS Rebellion Team)
Polaris BIOS Mod | Vega PowerPlay Mod | MorePowerTool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1042 of 1060 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by hellm View Post
I believe i answered this before. All the fans are fed by the same power source, so if one of them doesn't work as intended, everything indicates a hardware failure. BIOS only delivers one fan settings table.

Now for the 30% minimum, yes that is possible. I believe you have to raise the idle PWM value, found in the fan settings section in post#3.
If you don't know how to edit it, try a hex editor. I can recommend HxD.
Yeah, i know it's a hardware issue, I just wait for either black friday or Christmas holidays to buy another gpu to send this one back. They told me it could take up to 2 months to test it etc, and i dont want to stay without a gpu. After that, I'll sell it. If i spin it manually, it will stay like this, so I want to mod the bios to keep the minimum 30% so at the boot of the pc where all fans works, they will go down to 30 and not at zero fan setting

I mostly didnt knew which editor to use. Thanks
post #1043 of 1060 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

@hellm

As you can see here i found the fan settings. At first pic I highlight the min pwn setting. Is this correct? At the right of the window I see -48 for the first value and 208 for the other.
Secondly, I believe that I could just turn off the zero fan setting which i highlight at the 2nd picture (I believe this is it).

To flash the rom, should I change anything so I wont get the "same bios" pop up message?

Edit: Sorry for double post, I thought they would merge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (52).png
Views:	14
Size:	491.0 KB
ID:	301340  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (53).png
Views:	12
Size:	492.1 KB
ID:	301342  

Last edited by overpower; 10-19-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1044 of 1060 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
hex junkie

Not that min PWM, i meant the "idle PWM", sorry. The right one is found at offset 0x9E7F in your BIOS, and it is set to 0x23 = 35% PWM. So this should already be higher than what you want.
For the Zero RPM thing, yes, you found the byte to switch that off.

Before flashing, pls read the !!! marked stuff, at least, because without your card won't boot. You have to at least correct the checksum; and since your modded your BIOS, you have to either turn the id to a 580 BIOS, or patch the driver. For UEFI boot, you also have to copy the magic GOP to your BIOS. I think this information is found all over post#3..

..oh, and if you want to spare yourself all that BIOS flashing trouble, SPPT works also for Polaris:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/70-a...l#post25834851
you will find the complete fan table there

Last edited by hellm; 10-19-2019 at 01:57 PM.
post #1045 of 1060 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 06:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

..oh, and if you want to spare yourself all that BIOS flashing trouble, SPPT works also for Polaris:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/70-a...l#post25834851
you will find the complete fan table there
If I'm not mistaken, I cant turn off the zero setting using WattTool, right? Only min/max

Before flashing, pls read the !!! marked stuff, at least, because without your card won't boot. You have to at least correct the checksum; and since your modded your BIOS, you have to either turn the id to a 580 BIOS, or patch the driver. For UEFI boot, you also have to copy the magic GOP to your BIOS. I think this information is found all over post#3..
If I try to edit your modded bios, by just editing the hex value, I'm not good to go with the flashing? I'm already using your modded 480 strix, I just want to change the hex value for zero fan setting

Last edited by overpower; 10-19-2019 at 06:15 PM.
post #1046 of 1060 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
hex junkie

afaik Zero RPM is only deactivated by that one byte in the BIOS.

If you are using one of my modded BIOS files, you only have to update CRC with PBE after you edited it. You could also update the GOP, but this is not necessary.

Last edited by hellm; 10-20-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #1047 of 1060 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

@hellm 3 days now and each time I open the pc, except the time between bios and lock screen, the fans starts to work, all 3 of them. Before that, they would only start after I logged in so msi ab could start and set the fan profile. I don;t know why it behaves like that. I guess gpu have more voltage at the boot so it's enough for the fan to start? Even if I chose manually 100% fan speed, the middle one wouldn't spin before.

Thanks for all the help
post #1048 of 1060 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 03:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello,

Sorry if this has already been covered but I couldn't find it using the search.

I have a XFX GTR RX 480 Triple X Edition 8GB (the Best Buy one with hard swap fans). I saw early in the thread that someone had already flashed this card but my question is a little more specific.

My overall goal is to lower power consumption while also boosting performance(but at stock speed). I have until now just been lowering the mV on the GPU and the RAM. From what I have been reading flashing to a RX 580 will help boost performance slightly (because of the tighter ram timings) and use slightly less power (since the power management is better on the updated bios). Do I have this correct?

If so is there a premodded BIO I can download for this card? I'm more than comfortable using a HEX editor (I modded the bios on my Pentium 2 motherboard back around 1999 for large IDE support) but if I can save time using a premade one that would be nice.
post #1049 of 1060 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
hex junkie

At full speed, with the same voltage and clock rates your card will use the same amount of power as before. There might be a tiny gain in performance, so efficiency is slightly better.

In idle, you can achieve the same with a 480 BIOS by activating, sorry i forgot the exact name of this option, some power save mode in the driver. The 580s don't have that option, it is activated by default, and you can't change that.

Memory timings should improve efficiency, but you also have more power consumption after all, because GPU utilization at least for the mem controller is also raised.

The two BIOS files for the XFX GTR should also fit your card. Though, you should consider the safety suggestions if you have some special edition; so be sure you have samsung vram and an IR3567B voltage controller on your card.

post #1050 of 1060 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
sorry guy I now this toppic is old but I'm new here and I just wonder that can I flash my gigabyte RX570 8GB gaming to RX580 8Gb? (just to show off with my friend )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in