[BIOS Mod] RX480 -> RX580 Conversions + How-to RX470/RX480 -> RX570/RX580 - Page 107 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[BIOS Mod] RX480 -> RX580 Conversions + How-to RX470/RX480 -> RX570/RX580

post #1061 of 1065 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'm Stumped

1, there is no option for "Update CRC" in Polaris Bios Editor (v1.7.2).

2, I can't find the hex values "8D 00 00 00 FF" in my bios using HxD to change vcore.

I've been trying to wrap my brain around what I'm missing but I can't figure this out.

I have an MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC card. Any help would be very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1062 of 1065 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

I've read about 50 pages of this thread, and another on Polaris bios editing also on this forum.
Seems things have changed over the years regarding drivers and this conversion.
So Can someone please break it down for me..

I have an RX 470 4gb.
What was/is the main reason for flashing the video card bios to that from a 570?
Could the gains from the increased clocks just have been done via modifying the 470 bios? Or is there some other benefit for having the card show up as if it was a 570.(or 580 as I understand was required to get the driver to work?) (Until recently)

Seeing the following update on post#3..
"Update: since the 590, the driver compares the shaders/revision of the GPU. So, only the 480 can be switched to 580 with the no-patch benefit. All other SKU's have to patch the driver."

I may be missing something somewhere on how to patch the driver,(other than just running the ati pixel-patcher.exe) but this brings me back to, can I not get the same gains from modifying the 470 bios? Which I think means i still have to use pixel patcher due to the modified bios.

To which leads me to, even if I were to modify the bios.. and figure out how to patch the driver.. will I likely run into an issue since my 470 is a secondary GPU for my multi monitor setup, and the primary is a 390x ?

My Reasons for wanting to modify my 470 was more for fun than necessity. Though both of my GPUs are used moderately to heavily on a daily basis. Thus if I was able to get lower temps from this card, the 390 would be easier to manage, and/or better performance out of this card than it'll help and I may even offload a little more to this GPU from the 390x
post #1063 of 1065 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
hex junkie

Rep: 136 (Unique: 78)
@thankx
Maybe this version corrects it automatically on save. If not, it would be very bad.. cause no BIOS would ever boot. So you have to correct CRC byte, btw, it is found at offset 0x21.

I added the ""8D 00 00 00 FF" bytes to the custom roms myself. And the 0xFF at the end means this is the end of the subtable, actually these are the two datatypes:
8D 00 = 0x8D = register on PWM controller
00 00 = this is the 6.25mV multiplier (some customs have 0x02 or 0x04 here, if register 0x8D is found)
Some BIOS have them, some not. You can add them, but then you maybe have to resize tables.

But since you also can edit the maximum and minimum voltage (post#3), offset isn't really needed anymore. Take in mind an offset applies all the time, it is also affecting idle voltage.

@Drew Fryer
Don't just flash some 570 BIOS, it has to be modified to fit your card.
Since you have a 470, you have to patch the driver either way. Benefits from a BIOS mod, if you don't need more voltage, would be the possibility to edit memory timings. But since you use it as a secondary card, not really worth it, i guess.

Comandante R.B.R.T. (Red BIOS Rebellion Team)
Polaris BIOS Mod | Vega PowerPlay Mod | MorePowerTool

Last edited by hellm; 01-27-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1064 of 1065 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 05:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

thank you very much to post these bios and sorry for my inglesh i'm learning yet

i tried pass rx480 to rx580 but i have some problem in bandwidth , have a bios with the bandwidth 64 and unknown, and other with 128 bandwidth
i'm having problem with this bios MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G

i'm using original bios have how do you convert that bios to rx580 gaming x 8gb (samsung) ?
my graphicard's rx480 gaming x 8gb
Attached Files
File Type: zip TV341MH.zip (108.1 KB, 5 views)
post #1065 of 1065 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

I try add 1000mhz memory state to my Shappire Pulse RX 470 .I did everything like in a post https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-a...l#post27826668. My modify powerplay table looks well but I have a problem some values have shifted on bios when i add new powerplay . I used ATOMTableResize to do it. .Maybe somebody can help me add modify powerplay table to this bios ???Below modify PPtable and stock bios.Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RX470.zip (111.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by allasqwe28; 02-12-2020 at 04:55 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in