Odd flicker to monitor... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Odd flicker to monitor...

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
eX1stenZ Level 1

Odd flicker to monitor...

Hello all!

I have a strange flicker that happens randomly with my monitor--it's subtle, but it's there. Pretty annoying, but I tune it out most of the time.

I was wondering if anyone here knew what the issue was?

Rig
---
Win 10
Asus ASrock MB
AMD Radeon R9 280x (with new driver)
Intel i5 3570
16 gb ddr3
Monitor: Viewsonic 1080p

Below is a video of the anomaly happening:

<not sure what's allowed here, so I'll just put this>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:22 PM
New to Overclock.net
Acecool

Looks like a software issue - like the inner pane is having trouble being positioned almost like a notification is opening then closing at the top just under the main program bar.

Are you running the latest video drivers, Windows updates, redistributables, etc..?

I don't think it is an issue with the monitor, but that can easily be ruled out - instead of recording using a camera, use OBS ( Open Broadcaster Software )... If the issue is present then it is likely a software issue, either with the program running - or if it happens on many pieces of software then an issue with your configuration. It can point to a few corrupt files in your windows install for windows management, distros for C++, C#, .net, etc... out of date video drivers, incorrectly installed drivers ( ie incorrect order during first install ), etc...

There are a lot of different causes for visual artifacts, however this seems to be isolated to one aspect of window displaying so verify whether or not it is a monitor problem, and if software try reverting video drivers by going 2 or more versions back each attempt, or if you have time, one at a time... If resolved then report problem...

If it was a monitor / hardware issue, then the problem could be isolated to those exact rows but it seems like it is linked to the software - again, verify what type of issue it is by seeing where the problem originates ( or, at least, attempt to strike certain things off the list of what it is / isn't )...

Does the issue continue in the same way if you resize the window? Ie the same part jitters on the monitor ( likely hardware ) or in the program itself ( software, driver, corrupt file, etc.. )...

I'd also verify your display speed is at 60 Hz or higher.

Can you provide more information?

- How frequently does it happen - and is it continuous or ...?

- Does it only occur with one piece of software, or all which uses Microsoft Windows Management? ( Try running a Java GUI application to see if the issue is there - if not then it could be corrupt file for windows desktop management )

- Is it Software or Hardware issue? ( Use OBS and record to see if it is the monitor itself causing the issue when displaying the visual data to you, or if it is software meaning the issue occurs before the monitor receives the data ) - Note: It could also be related to the video card or driver ( If you are running the latest version, try reverting backwards a few versions to a time when you didn't have the issue - if resolved then update drivers, cleanly, one at a time until you encounter the issue, then revert and report the problem to AMD / nVidia )

How long has it been happening? When did you first notice it? Was it after a software / driver update?

Debugging isn't difficult, it is simply going through a process to determine the origin of the issue. The more information you can provide, the more likely a solution can be found to resolve the issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in