R9 285 Prevents Boot - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

R9 285 Prevents Boot

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Magus2727 Level 1

R9 285 Prevents Boot

I have a MSI R9 285 that has only 3 years on it (failed on its 3rd birthday). The computer was running and then just shut down. Some searching and trouble shooting lead me to think it was the PSU. I have a BFG1200WEXPSU and is getting up there in age although has never been taxed to the full power. I have a XFX XPS-650W-3XS PSU that I swapped in. I got the same problem.

The PC would start to boot for like 1/2 second but then shut down. Since I had the same behavior on both PSU's, I dug deeper and unplugged everything except the MB. It booted, installed the memory, it booted, installed the R9 285 it failed to boot. Installed my GTX570 in the same PCIE slot and it boots. Plug in all my other drives and accessories. it still boots. I never tried plugging the R9 285 in another PCIe slot since the GTX570 worked in the same slot the R9 285 just failed in.

So I have identified the R9 285 was the source of the problem. But What can I do to diagnose it further. MSI wont warranty (since its 1 year past its warranty date). MSI wont try to repair it. I have tools and resources available to replace any part on this CCA with the exception of the BGA IC's. The GPU is not the best in class (and never really was) but being a higher mid range GPU would like to use it more than a glorified piece of art work.

I checked for shorts on the pins of the PCIe x16 (the traces on the PCB) and the ones on the external power headers. And all look to be "nominal" or at least not a short to GND.

Is there anything else I can check? Anything else that is known to go bad that causes this? I am about to take the heat frame off and visually inspect caps and resistors. Make sure I have no opens or shorts.

Any help on what might cause this.

I am about to build another PC as I am in major need of a update on the main hardware, but seeing this GPU go out in only 3 years makes me nervous to use an MSI GPU again. (Looking at a SAPPHIRE Vega 64, which are all reference designs so should be the same as any other VEGA 64 right?)

Thank you!

ninja.gif.:|Gigabyte790FXTA-UD5Club|:.ninja.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in