RX 590 or Vega 64?? - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

RX 590 or Vega 64??

post #61 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Wacky Clocks

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Didn't they say RTX perfomance wasn't great initially (BF5) so they offloaded every possible task to the CPU? This should be hilarious on an FX chip when you consider how much Frostbite already put on the CPU.
Jesus paying over $500 for a GPU so you can MAYBE get 60fps at 1080p, what is this, 2012?

Nobody said he was going to make a logical or smart decision, that's for sure.

Hot and Bothered
(19 items)
CPU
Core i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Maximus X Hero
GPU
XFX Radeon VII
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
Corsair RM850
Cooling
Corsair H115i
Case
NZXT H440
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Asus VP28U (4k)
Monitor
Asus MG248 (1080p)
Keyboard
Fnatic Streak
Mouse
Fnatic Flick 2
Audio
Audioengine D1 DAC
Audio
Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones
Audio
Audio-Technica AT-2020 XLR
Audio
Behringer U-Phoria UM2 Interface
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by BTViolence View Post
Nobody said he was going to make a logical or smart decision, that's for sure.

As I've said, if it's time to retire the 8350, then so be it, but my final decision was based on the 590 numbers being so borderline in today's titles that it couldn't guarantee me what I wanted , and a Vega 64 being about the same price as a 2070 (with a voided warranty), I chose to jump ship to Team Green.

I like the idea of retiring my 8350 rig to my step son, or a beast emulation rig (I have a 6300 w/390 in the living room already running emulation station, but one in the bedroom would be nice) and moving the 4790k down here with the 2070, and just starting a new build around the 2080ti. BUT, that's ONLY if this 2070 doesn't do what I need it to do, and turns into a bottlenecked mess.

The new build will most likely be Ice Lake, so it's a ways off anyway.
post #63 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:13 PM
Tech Enthusiast

so you make a fuss about staying with amd and then go team green lol.. this whole thread is either one big troll or you are just really that ignorant.. and why would you ever get ice lake.. have you not seen the leaks for the new zen 2 cpu's lol.. 9900k smasher.. for half the price.. ice lake will not beat it clock per dollar.. anyway.. as others said that 2070 is overkill.. hell even the 64 would have been overkill.. if money wasnt an issues should have just gotten a 56 and called it good.. your 3d this and that and hair works etc is just dumb.. 3d was a fail.. and ray tracing is pointless right now.. i got my vega 64 liquid cooled cards for $1000 for both a month ago.. havnt looked back vega 7 was ehh.. navi wont be until the end of the year... when your pc is bottled look for the new zen 2 chips coming in a few months!!! Im waiting for the new threadripper 3850x towards the end of the year and maybe some faster ram.. AMD Forever!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190122_172621.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	257416  

Last edited by liveunlimited; 03-05-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
There is no such thing as over kill. And I’ll believe Ryzen 3000 is so great when I see real proof I can trust.

post #65 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by KingUniverse View Post
I'm fairly confident that my 8350 @ 5.1 will have very little impact on the Vega 64. It's hard to stress this CPU at those speeds and with my NB and base OC'd as well, the PCI lanes are even boosted too. Not to mention I have a beast of a board in the 990FX-UD7, and even with a slight bottleneck, an OC'd 64 is still overkill for what I'm shooting for. Looking at the Navi rumors though, I'm wondering if I should just wait for them ..
Yeah that's just wrong, sorry (not sorry) to be blunt. IPC is just absolute ass on bulldozer.
post #66 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:29 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 168 (Unique: 120)
Quote: Originally Posted by liveunlimited View Post
so you make a fuss about staying with amd and then go team green lol.. this whole thread is either one big troll or you are just really that ignorant.. and why would you ever get ice lake.. have you not seen the leaks for the new zen 2 cpu's lol.. 9900k smasher.. for half the price.. ice lake will not beat it clock per dollar.. anyway.. as others said that 2070 is overkill.. hell even the 64 would have been overkill.. if money wasnt an issues should have just gotten a 56 and called it good.. your 3d this and that and hair works etc is just dumb.. 3d was a fail.. and ray tracing is pointless right now.. i got my vega 64 liquid cooled cards for $1000 for both a month ago.. havnt looked back vega 7 was ehh.. navi wont be until the end of the year... when your pc is bottled look for the new zen 2 chips coming in a few months!!! Im waiting for the new threadripper 3850x towards the end of the year and maybe some faster ram.. AMD Forever!!!
He's on a tech forum, the RTX 2070 is the better card and he gets a warranty. We still have no clue how Zen 2's gaming performance will be. There are a handful of games that perform better on monolithic processors than AMD's MCM chips by 20% at the same frequency. If this is a dedicated gaming rig get the card that uses less power, runs cooler, quieter and faster. We've already addressed he needs a new processor but he's holding off.

Your Vega 64s use 264w at stock and with +50% PL it uses 364w and most likely between 280-330w when undervolted each if you have them running in the 1700mhz range. How do I know? I bought a RX Vega 64 XTX(Liquid) at launch for $699.99 and was frustrated with the garbage AIO so I replaced it with an EK waterblock. I'm stuck with AMD cards because of a reason in my sig rig. I bought the Radeon VII with the expectation of needing a GPU block.

A RTX 2070 stock uses between 192w-230w when overclocked and 175w at stock. It's kinda of an easy choice and you won't need a waterblock for your RTX 2070 since most of the cards are quiet but if you have the money buy a block.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 1900Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB 3866Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #67 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Dood consider a Radeon VII... Yes it's a bit more, but least look at it. Check out this video benchmarking and testing for bottleneck. I was shocked...It's legit.

post #68 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by liveunlimited View Post
He's on a tech forum, the RTX 2070 is the better card and he gets a warranty. We still have no clue how Zen 2's gaming performance will be. There are a handful of games that perform better on monolithic processors than AMD's MCM chips by 20% at the same frequency. If this is a dedicated gaming rig get the card that uses less power, runs cooler, quieter and faster. We've already addressed he needs a new processor but he's holding off.

Your Vega 64s use 264w at stock and with +50% PL it uses 364w and most likely between 280-330w when undervolted each if you have them running in the 1700mhz range. How do I know? I bought a RX Vega 64 XTX(Liquid) at launch for $699.99 and was frustrated with the garbage AIO so I replaced it with an EK waterblock. I'm stuck with AMD cards because of a reason in my sig rig. I bought the Radeon VII with the expectation of needing a GPU block.

A RTX 2070 stock uses between 192w-230w when overclocked and 175w at stock. It's kinda of an easy choice and you won't need a waterblock for your RTX 2070 since most of the cards are quiet but if you have the money buy a block.

I honestly WANTED to find an AMD card I loved and made sense. It's literally an AMD branded case, red and black with the AMD logo on the front and HUGE on the side panel.

After weighing all my options, nothing from AMD felt right. I don't even think buying a Radeon VII would have made me feel good about that card. While I love AMD and always have since the days of 2300+ competing with Pentiums, I just don't think AMD's cards are even competitively priced anymore. Lack of features, poor performance, HUGE power draws, and all for around the same price as an RTX card? AMD isn't even the "budget" brand anymore.

I'm coming from dual 380xs and dual 390s, and EVERYTHING before that were AMD cards. The last Nvidia card I bought was a Geforce 5200! Back in like 2003. Every year it's the same thing, I hold out hopes for a card that will finally stick it to Nvidia, and it never happens.

We get a twice overclocked 480 and power hungry disappointment twin Vegas that can't even compete with the lowest card in Nvidia's RTX lineup, and they're all the same price!

Ray Tracing, Hairworks, PhysX, DLSS, better performance, less power draw. It just made sense for $40 more. When I ran my dual 390s, I had to buy a 1300w PSU just to power my system. THAT'S RIDICULOUS. Until AMD starts throwing some punches, I'm out and using Team Green.
post #69 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:01 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Quote: Originally Posted by cerealkeller View Post
There is no such thing as over kill. And I’ll believe Ryzen 3000 is so great when I see real proof I can trust.
umm when you have an fx 8350 there is such thing as overkill lol.. being bottle necked is not fun.. and have you not seen the live demo of them beating the 9900k? they already beat intel on a production sample.. you really dont think the final run chips will be any better? lol.. i agree on not getting into the hype.. but things are looking pretty promising for team red!!
post #70 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

i know we havnt seen final numbers on zen 2.. but from what we have seen things look promising.. and for about half the price of a 9900k i will take the slight hit.. i know what the vega's run at.. ive messed with clocks and under volting etc.. i got them fully knowing power draw.. but i like the way they look for one.. im on solar power here for two so power draw isnt an issue.. i also did the reg power mod and my slider goes higher if i want to.. but for gaming i normally have them set to 1700mhz+ on the core.. bumped slider to +50 and changed the fan curve.. set my memory to 1100mhz vol floor control at 1000mv... for rendering everything is the same but the power limit slider.. i also mine on the cards and have them set to 1577mhz core, custom fan curve, -23 power limit, memoty set to 1150mhz with a 1000mv voltage floor... cards sit between 55 to 60c.. and ive seen them get as high as 65c on a hot day.. not really sure why you have had issues with the aio's?.. mine seem to be working fine other than one of the fans vibrating a little.. i ripped off the "radeon" sticker badges they put on the fans also.. those things throw off the balance of the fan way to much. when i game wattage is +300 on my gaming profile, 220-240w on my rendering profile, and 200-205w while mining.. im happy with them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in