Ryzen that supports GDDR5: why not? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Ryzen that supports GDDR5: why not?

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 15)
Ryzen that supports GDDR5: why not?

Considering AMD has experience w/CPU's that support GDDR5 why couldn't they release a Ryzen CPU that supports GDDR of some type? I guess you would have to have motherboard manufacturers willing to design motherboards w/a fixed amount of non-removable GDDR5 but wouldn't the performance gains be worth it? Doesn't GDDR5 out-perform the highest tiers of DDR4 right now? It looks to me like the highest performing DDR4 kits now would only produce over half the bandwidth of a GTX 980 (224 GiB/sec) even with a quad channel setup because even Samsung's latest LPDDR4 modules only produce 34 GiB/sec for each module:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10782...6-dram-package

But when I look at this test of a DDR4-4500 kit though it looks like it only produces less than a quarter of the bandwidth of a GTX 980:
https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view...-4500mhz-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 02:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
I don't know but I'd rather see HBM cache on-package.
It would be best to still have the option to insert DDR4 on the motherboard.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by ltpdttcdft View Post
I don't know but I'd rather see HBM cache on-package.
It would be best to still have the option to insert DDR4 on the motherboard.
If they were to manufacture motherboards w/say 8 GiB to 16 GiB to 32 GiB of on-board GDDR5 you could buy whatever you need. For me, my CPU's and motherboards become outdated far before my RAM and aside from increasing the amount of RAM how much perf. difference do you get going w/the highest performance DDR4 or DDR3 memory you can get as opposed to the bottom tier? I once tried replacing my DDR3 memory on my old LGA775 board w/higher perf. memory and it didn't make any difference in gaming performance.

HBM is an interesting idea, especially in the 16GiB range, but I don't think any AMD CPU supports that tech right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in