PCIE Bus in BIOS - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

PCIE Bus in BIOS

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter
EGC
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
PCIE Bus in BIOS

So right now, I have it up from 100mhz to 110mhz. Read a bunch about it and seen that it's safe. What I want to avoid, which I keep seeing and not sure if it's recoverable based on what I read, can I underclock this without it busting my GPU? If so, does this specific setting effect the amount of power going into the GPU? (probably going to test that by bringing it down to 100mhz) There's a good reason for this, which believe it or not, is to overclock my GPU further... Not only for the FPS, the temps and honestly just to see if it works.

Gaming/Home Rig
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:15 AM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3133 (Unique: 1869)
The PCI-E bus controls most I/O interfaces on a system and many of them, particularly drives, tend to be intolerant of significant deviations from spec. 110MHz will rarely be safe. You aren't likely to damage any hardware, but you could easily experience subtle data corruption or other instabilities.

Underclocking the PCI-E bus is usually easier, but again, running it out of spec may cause issues.

How tolerant a GPU is to out of spec PCI-E is highly variable, but PCI-E clock should have almost no bearing on the power consumption of a GPU. The PCI-E interface will need to work faster or slower, obviously, but this doesn't amount to much on most parts. Some older GPUs used the PCI-E clock as a reference clock which could have unpredictable effects on the card, but I haven't observed this in a long time.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter
EGC
New to Overclock.net

I'm assuming while overclocking, the less power consumption means less performance? (Again going to test this even though it's an obvious answer) I did change the mhz back down to 100, it lowered the consumption a little bit like you said, by like 2w. So clearly underclocking it isn't going to do much of anything. My chip is limited to 230w, even though in testing I had it go to 240w but stopped it because I don't want to blow up my card.

Gaming/Home Rig
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter
EGC
New to Overclock.net

So I've been looking around, haven't gotten a real straight answer on this. If I am to pass the board's power limit, would it hurt my GPU if it isn't constantly over that number? Is that the number in which the board will pull back to avoid it busting? I read that it will pull the power back to make sure it doesn't take more than it's limit.

Gaming/Home Rig
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:52 AM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
You don't overclock the GPU with it, you overclock the communication bus between the CPU and GPU. You should ask yourself a question, if overclocking PCIE Bus brought about any FPS change,

PC for all
(18 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
Sapphire Radeon RX580 8GB Nitro+
RAM
2x KHX2400C11D3/8GX 11-12-12-32-1T-250
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Toshiba HDWD10 (P300)
Power Supply
Corsair CS650M
Cooling
Raijintek Tisis + Arctic Cooling MX4
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 310
Mousepad
SteelSeries QCk Mini
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808
Audio
AKG K240 Studio 1st rev
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
EGC
New to Overclock.net

It did. My Heaven Benchmark pulled in a couple FPS. I already turned it down because it's not much. Gave me about 60 more points, 2.5 avg fps, 15 min fps and 0.3 max fps.

Overall, not really worth the tuning. As far as power draw goes, I don't think it matters anyway. Just wanted to see how far I could take the GPU and I couldn't get it further than 1180 mhz on Heaven and it crashed on 3DMark. Realized in my testing that the memory clock barely matters as far as FPS is concerned. With mine overclocked by 100mhz core, I only need maybe 100-150mhz on the memory clock to keep it running at full power. It's mostly the power limiter. I can knock it down to -15% and it stays full power.

Gaming/Home Rig
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 526 (Unique: 297)
what are the theoretical gains of changing the PCIe clock?

I've always left it @ stock.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
EGC
New to Overclock.net

The gains as far as GPU are pretty minimal like I mentioned. There's a real drawback to it which is your storage devices, since they are connected to the same bus. If you put too much or too little, chances are you're going to lose data or even the entire hard drive. Not really sure why it's there considering these facts. You are given control of something that basically doesn't benefit you and can break parts.

Gaming/Home Rig
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by EGC; 03-28-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in