What am I doing wrong? R9 280? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

What am I doing wrong? R9 280?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 60)
You wanna stop clocks from dropping? This will stop it but it will increase your computer power consumption because it isn't going to idle.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details...-download.html

On a r9 280x Vapor X I have, the bios version is 015.039.000.001.000000 and the voltage default is 1.25v. On other bios revisions they dropped it 1.2v. They dropped the TDP/Power-Limit also on the newer ones. Newer isn't always better.

You can use this to edit your bios voltage, increase tdp/powerlimit. I see you are overclocking it. Might as well change it so it stays at your desired clocks. At 1.25v (stock 015.039 bios) my card hit 1200mhz. I just kept that as base line.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-cards.189089/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 49)
Quote: Originally Posted by boot318 View Post
You wanna stop clocks from dropping? This will stop it but it will increase your computer power consumption because it isn't going to idle.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details...-download.html

On a r9 280x Vapor X I have, the bios version is 015.039.000.001.000000 and the voltage default is 1.25v. On other bios revisions they dropped it 1.2v. They dropped the TDP/Power-Limit also on the newer ones. Newer isn't always better.

You can use this to edit your bios voltage, increase tdp/powerlimit. I see you are overclocking it. Might as well change it so it stays at your desired clocks. At 1.25v (stock 015.039 bios) my card hit 1200mhz. I just kept that as base line.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-cards.189089/
Well, I don't really care about the clocks. I just noticed from 16.11.5 to 19.4.2 the clocks do not increase on 19.4.2 when a second monitor is connected. 16.11.5 connecting a second monitor would raise the clocks from 300/150 to 500/1250.

Mine limits me to 1.3v actually. It clocks like garbage, but at the same time it has mega vdroop. 1150 is the max stable clock I can run at with 1.3v. But... The voltage droops down to 1.2-1.21v under load (GPUZ)

So I guess 1150 @ 1.2v isn't terrible, but I tried like hell to get 1200 and just couldn't do it stable. As for the TDP, I only saw or had issues when I used Furmark (used maybe twice, its just unrealistic) and it was throttling the power. Flashing with 50% power target solved it tho.

I did actually solve the issue tho. I threw in a spare HD7770, DDU, 19.4.2 install and It's great. It's kinda ridiculous that in 2019 you have to add a second GPU to drive a second monitor but it does work.

I see this issue has plagued the RX series and even Vega / V2 as well. That's crazy.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 49)
Okay, now I get random black screens (like maybe 1 sec it goes black, then comes back to normal) when browsing lol. It's completely random, sometimes it will do it back to back and other times It wont do it at all

Eh, solid card but I'm just gonna sell it and grab an Nvidia card. Tired of trouble shooting stupid problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:14 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 301 (Unique: 220)
Depends what you have, some R9 280 were junk. Some had VRAM OC from factory too high (my 280X) to a point of random issues that you can hardly trace the source of unless you know and check VRAM below stock clocks. Even the cores kind of sucked at least on cards I've had, going above 1GHz was a stretch.
As far as drivers go, use old drivers made in the era of that GPU, newest drivers not matter what chip brand are often made with latest products in mind and they don't bother testing 2-6 generations back if everything is compatible, they would rather piss you off and force you to buy a newer product.

These issues you describe have nothing to do with AMD vs NV. Just today I found yet another issue with NV Turing... although that one is a combination of software and the card. Get something decent not a prehistoric 200 series, those were problematic, be it 280 or 290. 400+ for AMD, 1000+ for NV. Older than that the cards are likely end of life quite often, some people mined the crap out of them etc. you won't find many good ones.

ASUS 280X, 1070MHz stock, 6400MHz VRAM stock, not stable ==> RMA and refund. Going beyond 1070MHz... forget it really. Downclocking VRAM helped a little but it was a moody card overall. Tahiti is unsupported old GCN anyway now, doesn't have the necessary features. A 390 with 8GB would be kind of the oldest I would bother with if you don't want a 480/590.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in