How likely is it that my GPU is beyond repair? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How likely is it that my GPU is beyond repair?

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
How likely is it that my GPU is beyond repair?

I have a Vega 64 reference card that I installed a Byskski water block to for my first water cooled system and everything went fine to begin with. I had the system up and running for about 2 weeks with everything working just fine, temps were good. I decided i wanted to rearrange my loop, largely for aesthetics but also for better access, draining etc.

When i did this i also removed the block from GPU in order to clean it out as i could see some debris in it (it was acetal from the threads on my EK pump/res combo). I reassembled the block and pressure tested it to make sure it was air tight and it was. I reassembled my loop, pressure tested it and then leak tested for 12 hours just to be sure. There were no leaks and everything seemed fine.

When i tried to boot the system for the first time i was getting no display at all - i tried with different monitors, DP cable, HDMI cable, different power supply - nothing. So once again i drained the loop, removed the graphics card, removed the block, reattached the stock air cooler and then tried again to boot (in a different system).

I still got no display, the fan would not spin but the 'Radion' logo on the cooler DOES light up. I have no idea what i could have done to kill the card but since the logo does light up it's clearly getting some power. I appreciate this is a hard question to answer but if i send it off to a company that repairs GPUs what do you think my chances are of it being fixed?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Not sure about the design of your water block, but check the traces around the mounting holes. I fixed(ish) a broken rx480 that the last owner improperly installed a kraken g12 on and cut one of the ram traces.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:25 PM
Programmer

Rep: 1554 (Unique: 1016)
Quote: Originally Posted by ziddey View Post
Not sure about the design of your water block, but check the traces around the mounting holes. I fixed(ish) a broken rx480 that the last owner improperly installed a kraken g12 on and cut one of the ram traces.
To add to this, make sure you are not installing the cooler too tight. Too much torque on the screws can cause enough pressure on the GPU core to stop a signal or POST.

Intel Core i9 9900K HT 5GHz
GIGABYTE Z390 Ultra
AMD ASUS STRIX OC VEGA 64
G-Skill Trident 2x8GB DDR4 4000MHz
Samsung EVO NVM.e 250GB
SeaSonic 1250W Gold
Corsair 900D + Custom Loop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in