GPU Memory Temperature on RX 5700 series (Navi) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GPU Memory Temperature on RX 5700 series (Navi)

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
HWiNFO Author

Rep: 288 (Unique: 118)
GPU Memory Temperature on RX 5700 series (Navi)

Not sure if this has been questioned here, but some users are concerned about high GPU memory temperatures reported on Navi GPUs.
To clarify the situation - the value reported is the junction temperature, not the case temperature that can be measured (and has been compared by some folks).
See here for more details: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads...e-5700xt.5867/

HWiNFO Author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Thank you!

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 07:36 AM
FinsUp!

Rep: 107 (Unique: 89)
Interesting. Thankyou. So to clarify the memory temps are indeed reading a memory sensor but it's a hotspot temperature of the hottest portion of the vRam?

Mine never exceeds 80c it's current config.

Dmac

Heat
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4200mhz
Motherboard
Asrock X570 Steel Legend WiFi
GPU
Sapphire RX5700 XT @ 2100/900
RAM
Team Dark Pro 16gb @ 3600mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 500gb
Power Supply
PCP&C MKII 950W
Cooling
H70Core/ Ultra Kaze PP
Case
Lian Li Lancool One Digital
Operating System
W10
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
HWiNFO Author

Rep: 288 (Unique: 118)
Quote: Originally Posted by Dmac73 View Post
Interesting. Thankyou. So to clarify the memory temps are indeed reading a memory sensor but it's a hotspot temperature of the hottest portion of the vRam?

Mine never exceeds 80c it's current config.

Dmac
It's sort of internal temperature (at transistor level), so higher values are normal here. That also explains why some guys saw large differences between this Tj and values they measured on surface with a thermal gun.

HWiNFO Author
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 10)
With little to know cooling on my memory it can easily rise above my TJ ocing. non XT. I watched my TJ in real time while adjusting the pressure on my waterblock. It you can see it move up and down with even and uneven pressure on the die. Perhaps the surrounding area is affected as well. I also have no backplate, though it's probably not a good idea, I actually touch the back of the card and feel the heat on the other side of the water block. When the heat is spread out around the die, the tj falls. Pretty handy little reading. The memory seems to have little to no impact on the TJ. GPU-Z. Any evoke user could probably tell you that ^^

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Non XT Boost Core 2035 Gaming Ram 960 43c Air Water Hybrid Cardboard Blower with a 20$ Waterblock on the core 50 gallon tote of water, Ryzen 2600 4.0 ghz, AIO Cool Mast Seidon 120mm, 3200 ddr3 cl16 Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF , B450m Asrock Pro 4 Mobo, 700 Watt OCZ PSU.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Powercolor 5700XT Red Devil Memory Temperature

Even with the Powercolor Red Devil mine gets up to 92 under load which it seems isnt the case for reviewers. Checking my temps versus theres I came up with matching temps but much higher temps for the memory. Your saying thats because GPU-Z is showing higher and maybe they are measuring with a thermal gun?

Obviously thermal gun temps are a little inaccurate since they wouldn't be able to see vrm temps or memory temps without squirreling under the heatsink. Which I don't think many do that.

Mines hitting up to 92* C. Which is up to 12*C higher then other cards have reported and reviews have reported on the same card. So not sure if its just inaccurate reporting or the pads being faulty.

Every other temp is viewable in wattman and matches up same same.

Sadly even if I 100% the fans the best i can seem to do is get it down to 82* C. Which with 3 90 CM fans at 3700 RPM is pretty vacuum.

Edit: TreeTops, I believe he's saying the Memory Sensor is reading the TJunction of the memory itself. Not the overall card Junction Temperature.

Even so my temperatures aren't to far from the 95* and 105* C he mentioned as the to max junction temps. Which is weird if it has cooling on it and your card with no cooling on it directly just barely seems to have higher temps.

Last edited by Caveman787; 09-05-2019 at 03:27 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Caveman787 View Post
Even with the Powercolor Red Devil mine gets up to 92 under load which it seems isnt the case for reviewers. Checking my temps versus theres I came up with matching temps but much higher temps for the memory. Your saying thats because GPU-Z is showing higher and maybe they are measuring with a thermal gun?

Obviously thermal gun temps are a little inaccurate since they wouldn't be able to see vrm temps or memory temps without squirreling under the heatsink. Which I don't think many do that.

Mines hitting up to 92* C. Which is up to 12*C higher then other cards have reported and reviews have reported on the same card. So not sure if its just inaccurate reporting or the pads being faulty.

Every other temp is viewable in wattman and matches up same same.

Sadly even if I 100% the fans the best i can seem to do is get it down to 82* C. Which with 3 90 CM fans at 3700 RPM is pretty vacuum.

Edit: TreeTops, I believe he's saying the Memory Sensor is reading the TJunction of the memory itself. Not the overall card Junction Temperature.

Even so my temperatures aren't to far from the 95* and 105* C he mentioned as the to max junction temps. Which is weird if it has cooling on it and your card with no cooling on it directly just barely seems to have higher temps.
Hey Caveman787,

For what it's worth, I also have the PowerColor Red Devil 5700 (albeit the non-XT version), and my memory temps are also hovering around 92-94 degrees C under sustained gaming loads. I'm talking maybe around ~10-15 minutes of continuous load for it to reach that high.

This does seem worringly high, especially for an AIB card that supposedly has the best cooler out of all of the other available 5700 cards right now. I've been trying to search around for other users' experiences with this card, hoping to find some other data points for comparison, but it's hard to find user reviews that specifically call out memory temperatures, outside of a couple of professional review sites that only touch on it briefly. (And even in those cases, the review sites seem to call out much lower memory temps, which makes me wonder if they received a good specimen or if they're somehow measuring the memory temps in a different manner.)

I'm glad to have confirmation though that this sensor is not a regular edge temperature, but rather, a junction temperature. Part of my worry is that my memory temperature is basically hitting the max operating temperature of 95 C for memory, but if it's true that this is actually a junction temperature and the max safe temp is actually 105 C, then it looks like I'm still at least 10 degrees away from hitting that maximum temp.

In short though, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 10)
I went with a cardboard blower\water hybrid, no probs.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-...9-9-1-a-2.html

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Non XT Boost Core 2035 Gaming Ram 960 43c Air Water Hybrid Cardboard Blower with a 20$ Waterblock on the core 50 gallon tote of water, Ryzen 2600 4.0 ghz, AIO Cool Mast Seidon 120mm, 3200 ddr3 cl16 Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF , B450m Asrock Pro 4 Mobo, 700 Watt OCZ PSU.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
absolutely no issue on my powercolor 5700 XT red devil.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by poah View Post
absolutely no issue on my powercolor 5700 XT red devil.
Can you tell us what kind of memory temperatures you're getting under sustained load, so we have a point of comparison?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in