Radeon 5700XT microstutter in different games - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Radeon 5700XT microstutter in different games

post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Radeon 5700XT microstutter in different games

Hi there,

I am writing because I spent three weeks trying to fix the microstutter from my new GPU. I switched from a perfectly working 1070 to a 5700XT reference design and I am having a lot of trouble since then. Aside from the driver issues from previous driver versions most people had, I have this one single issue which is driving me crazy. I tried a lot of stuff (list below) which did not help. Even though I´d describe my windows and hardware knowledge as expert I have to say that I have not used a Radeon card since decades and I am not familiar with FreeSync and all the "AMD enhanced" stuff in the drivers. My last ATI card was a Radeon 7200 if I recall correctly.

So whats the problem exactly:
I notice a regular microstutter in a lot of games and benchmarks even when getting 400 fps. Not in all of them, but quite a lot and it´s not engine related. I can reproduce the stutter in scenes that are the same, like in benchmarks. I will attach a video at the end of the post.

Things I already did:
- Fresh, new clean install of windows with nothing but the GPU drivers installed
- I tried almost every setting in the Radeon Settings one after another and in different combinations (took me nearly two days)
- Disabled/Enabled FreeSync on my monitor
- Switched between HDMI and Displayport using different cables
- Overclocked and overvolted my card
- Underclocked and undercolted my card
- Overclocked and untervotled my card
- Underclocked and overvolted my card
- Set the minimum voltage to 900mV
- Used CRU to manually adjust my refresh and freesync range
- Tried the games with vsync ingame off but vsync enabled in the driver
- Set "ChillEnabled"=0 in registry
- I tried about eight older drivers which reach back to June (19.7.1)
- I used DDU in safe mode between every driver install
- Reset my BIOS to default settings
- Overclocked my CPU and RAM
- Underclocked my CPU and RAM
- Removed every not required component in my PC except the GPU and the SSD the games run on
- Removed my mousedriver since someone on amd community said that old logitech drivers can cause issues
- Removed the AMD PCI Driver because someone on amd community said it causes stutter
- Checked the temperatures a hundred times, they are all okay and way lower to cause throttling
- Tried to power the GPU using one power cable with two connectors (which is not that smart of course) but running it with two seperate cables right now
- Used Softpowerplaytables to prevent the card downclocking max 2100 min 2000 (did not help at all)
- Tried every combination of FreeSync, VSync, 60hz, 75hz I can think of
- Created new custom refresh rates using CRU
- Disabled enhanced sync
- Disabled all antivirus and added the game-process to the exception list of Windows Exploit-Guard

Thats just the things I can think of out of my head. There surely is more I did but please understand that I can not remember every single step I did three weeks ago. So if someone has an idea on what could help and I reply with "I already did that" - sorry for that answer but thank you anyway for your suggestion!

One thing I noticed, as you can see in the video, is that with the stutter my card clocks down the GPU speed to a level where I expect it to stutter. The lowest GPU-Z did meassure was 180MHz. I don´t know if it stutters because my GPU clocks down for an unknown reason or if it stutters because my GPU is waiting for something else to finish.

My System:
MB: Asus Prime B350-Plus
CPU: Ryzen 3600
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance
GPU: Radeon 5700XT reference design with custom air cooling
PSU: Corsair RM650x
OS: Windows 10 (tried different versions, currently running 1909 since yesterday)

Here is the video of heaven benchmark running at 1280x720 with stutter at the same position over and over again. It doesnt matter if I run the benchmark in 720p or 4k - it always stutters at the same positions. The dragon statue is just an example I picked. There a different situations where it happens. I watched this benchmark that often I can tell you 5 positions out of my head where it will stutter.

Recording my screen sadly does not clearly show the stutters the way I experience them sitting in front of my monitor but at 1:07 you can clearly see one big stutter. If someone has an idea what I can do, please please please let me know. I really like the card but the stutter is making it unusable for me.

Last edited by f-ben; 11-17-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 08:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 46)
If you have Enhanced Sync enabled try disabling that.

It's Asus C6H, not CH6; Fighting the wars that matter.
CPU
Ryzen R7 1700X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
XFX 5700 XT
RAM
GSKill TridentZ 3200MHz C14
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650W Titanium
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm
Cooling
Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Full Copper 280mm
Cooling
XSPC D5 Tank Reservior V3
Cooling
AlphaCool Eisblock Aurora Plexi GPX-A 5700 XT Reference
Cooling
SwiftTech MCP655TM D5 Vario
Cooling
AlphaCool Nexxxos ST30 360mm rad
Case
Corsair Graphite 780T
Operating System
Windows 10 64bit
Monitor
Benq GW2750
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Logitech G402
Mouse
Logitech G240 Soft
Audio
Astro A10
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Na, thats completely disabled since this causes stutter in absolutely every game for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 11:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 46)
Can you reinstall the GTX 1070 to see if everything is fine now?

Well I read that you tried Vsync and Free sync, did you try them together?

I'm glad you made a video. From the Video it looks like your having a problem with something utilizing resources running in the background, look at task manger for CPU utilization spikes and shutdown all background tasks and check for virus. Some times USB devices cause polling problems that cause stuttering.

If you can't find anything wrong you might have to reinstall windows.

This would not be the problem if the GTX 1070 runs fine, system memory or OS drive, how much system memory do you have and check the OS drive to make sure it is OK?

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-Sync compatible
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 398 (Unique: 284)
Quote: Originally Posted by f-ben View Post
Hi there,

I am writing because I spent three weeks trying to fix the microstutter from my new GPU. I switched from a perfectly working 1070 to a 5700XT reference design and I am having a lot of trouble since then. Aside from the driver issues from previous driver versions most people had, I have this one single issue which is driving me crazy. I tried a lot of stuff (list below) which did not help. Even though I´d describe my windows and hardware knowledge as expert I have to say that I have not used a Radeon card since decades and I am not familiar with FreeSync and all the "AMD enhanced" stuff in the drivers. My last ATI card was a Radeon 7200 if I recall correctly.

So whats the problem exactly:
I notice a regular microstutter in a lot of games and benchmarks even when getting 400 fps. Not in all of them, but quite a lot and it´s not engine related. I can reproduce the stutter in scenes that are the same, like in benchmarks. I will attach a video at the end of the post.

Things I already did:
- Fresh, new clean install of windows with nothing but the GPU drivers installed
- I tried almost every setting in the Radeon Settings one after another and in different combinations (took me nearly two days)
- Disabled/Enabled FreeSync on my monitor
- Switched between HDMI and Displayport using different cables
- Overclocked and overvolted my card
- Underclocked and undercolted my card
- Overclocked and untervotled my card
- Underclocked and overvolted my card
- Set the minimum voltage to 900mV
- Used CRU to manually adjust my refresh and freesync range
- Tried the games with vsync ingame off but vsync enabled in the driver
- Set "ChillEnabled"=0 in registry
- I tried about eight older drivers which reach back to June (19.7.1)
- I used DDU in safe mode between every driver install
- Reset my BIOS to default settings
- Overclocked my CPU and RAM
- Underclocked my CPU and RAM
- Removed every not required component in my PC except the GPU and the SSD the games run on
- Removed my mousedriver since someone on amd community said that old logitech drivers can cause issues
- Removed the AMD PCI Driver because someone on amd community said it causes stutter
- Checked the temperatures a hundred times, they are all okay and way lower to cause throttling
- Tried to power the GPU using one power cable with two connectors (which is not that smart of course) but running it with two seperate cables right now
- Used Softpowerplaytables to prevent the card downclocking max 2100 min 2000 (did not help at all)
- Tried every combination of FreeSync, VSync, 60hz, 75hz I can think of
- Created new custom refresh rates using CRU
- Disabled enhanced sync
- Disabled all antivirus and added the game-process to the exception list of Windows Exploit-Guard

Thats just the things I can think of out of my head. There surely is more I did but please understand that I can not remember every single step I did three weeks ago. So if someone has an idea on what could help and I reply with "I already did that" - sorry for that answer but thank you anyway for your suggestion!

One thing I noticed, as you can see in the video, is that with the stutter my card clocks down the GPU speed to a level where I expect it to stutter. The lowest GPU-Z did meassure was 180MHz. I don´t know if it stutters because my GPU clocks down for an unknown reason or if it stutters because my GPU is waiting for something else to finish.

My System:
MB: Asus Prime B350-Plus
CPU: Ryzen 3600
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance
GPU: Radeon 5700XT reference design with custom air cooling
PSU: Corsair RM650x
OS: Windows 10 (tried different versions, currently running 1909 since yesterday)

Here is the video of heaven benchmark running at 1280x720 with stutter at the same position over and over again. It doesnt matter if I run the benchmark in 720p or 4k - it always stutters at the same positions. The dragon statue is just an example I picked. There a different situations where it happens. I watched this benchmark that often I can tell you 5 positions out of my head where it will stutter.

https://youtu.be/wC8o9wvzIy4

Recording my screen sadly does not clearly show the stutters the way I experience them sitting in front of my monitor but at 1:07 you can clearly see one big stutter. If someone has an idea what I can do, please please please let me know. I really like the card but the stutter is making it unusable for me.
This downclocking issue has been discussed. Check the main 5700 XT and Radeon7 / Navi power tool threads.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:14 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 180 (Unique: 123)
AMD has always had odd stuttering issues with old DX releases. Switch that Heaven benchmark to OpenGL and look how smooth it runs. It's the reason why I avoid DX11 and older titles and just pickup games that either support DX12 or Vulkan.

I stopped playing Guild Wars 2 because of that obnoxious stutter. I found this DX12 proxy for Guild Wars 2 and no longer see that issue.

https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
This downclocking issue has been discussed. Check the main 5700 XT and Radeon7 / Navi power tool threads.
Of course down clocking will happen at 1280x720p. At 1080p+ that scene when I'm running it on my Radeon VII stays at 2050Mhz the entire time but still stutters but still exhibits the same stutter. To me it seems like a frame pacing issue even though we're using a single GPU.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1218mV
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 11-17-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by wingman99 View Post
Can you reinstall the GTX 1070 to see if everything is fine now?
Sadly not, I already sold it. But I guess I can ask my neighbour if he borrows me his 1080. I think Ill do that tomorrow

Well I read that you tried Vsync and Free sync, did you try them together?
Yes, I tried every combination you can think of. Also tripple buffer, double buffer, and so on. No combination works.

I'm glad you made a video. From the Video it looks like your having a problem with something utilizing resources running in the background, look at task manger for CPU utilization spikes and shutdown all background tasks and check for virus. Some times USB devices cause polling problems that cause stuttering. If you can't find anything wrong you might have to reinstall windows.
It might look like it but that´s definitely not the case. First of all I thought about that (I thought it might be a discord or steam overlay, etc.) and secondly like I said I already did a completely fresh windows install with nothing but the GPU drivers and the Benchmarks installed.

This would not be the problem if the GTX 1070 runs fine, system memory or OS drive, how much system memory do you have and check the OS drive to make sure it is OK?
Well the problem started with the first boot after I plugged in the 5700xt. But I´ll try to make my neighbor borrow me his 1080 and see how that goes Thanks a lot for for your ideas and taking time to read my story!
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Switch that Heaven benchmark to OpenGL and look how smooth it runs.
Just tried that and it´s true. Runs way better in OpenGL mode. I´ll check my clocks in OpenGL mode when I get home.

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
It's the reason why I avoid DX11 and older titles and just pickup games that either support DX12 or Vulkan.
The only game I own and can switch between those to is RDR2 which I don´t want to take as a reference since its bugged as f
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:56 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 180 (Unique: 123)
I noticed you have Brave browser open in your video. Make sure it's closed when you game or disable Hardware Acceleration.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Radeon VII @ 2100Mhz/1250Mhz w/ 1218mV
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Sorry I am not sure which Threads you mean. I checked the SPPT Thread (if you mean this one) which sadly did not help.

Tags
5700 stutter microstutter benchmark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in