Defective or normal - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Defective or normal

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:29 AM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 66 (Unique: 45)
Major RANT incoming...

Damnit. This is so sad to see. This right here, is why I still can't recommend AMD Cards to my customers. In a Pinch, when I just need a Video Card for 3 Screen Output or more, if I can't find a reasonably priced 1050 or 1050ti, which has happened quite a bit lately, I will go with an RX 560, and hope to god the newest drivers don't cause problems with the system.

I Love AMD Products, I want to be able to recommend their graphics cards. But outside of the enterprise sector (Where they are the only option for Sharing 1 Card across multiple VDI Sessions, without paying up the nose for licensing, and they have much more stable Drivers for the most part with these cards as well) their Software/Drivers are STILL causing major issues.

I still remember a client, who is a semi-popular streamer wanted a new card for his Son's system, this was at the end of 2018, he had a $200 budget for the card, so I recommended the RX 580, and that recommendation blew up in my face. AMD Released the new 2019 Driver package, and with it stability on that card blew out the window. Crazy things like booting up and having only 1 of 3 monitors work, or having them all have a green tint, or random game crashes that would crash the entire system.

I roll back the drivers to October of that year drivers, and all the sudden, no more problem, Stable as could be. I had his son stay on those drivers for damn near 5 months or so, until I think it was "The Division 2" came out, and his son wanted to play it but it refused to load on the old drivers. So I remoted in and gave permissions back to the AMD Folder that it extracts to to install drivers, and the game worked fine. About a month later new drivers came out, and he called me complaining that it was crashing all the time again. I finally just took the damn card back and gave him a GTX 1060 6GB I had in stock at the time, and now I use that card on one of my Test Benches where I can deal with its issues just by keeping that old 2018 driver installed.

Its good hardware, but CRAPPY, BUGGY, Drivers. They need to focus on that. Maybe start poaching from NVidia's Software team. It wasn't that long ago when the tables were turned and it was NVidia's drivers were crap, but they have since recovered from that, and its been pretty much 5 straight years of smooth sailing for their driver team other than a Security flaw here, or small Driver bug here that always seemed to get fixed within the next day. AMD's problems have been constant for 2 years now, and they were rocky before that.

This new hardware is good, and Big Navi might even end up being bigger. But even being someone who is a fan of their hardware, I might buy it and test it, but I just can't recommend it on the graphics side to customers until they step up and take care of these issues. Stop working on pointless Software "Features" and UI "Upgrades", we want stable drivers that are as reliable as your competitor, so I can comfortably recommend their damn cards to my clients, without having to get constant calls about graphic related issues that disappear the second I throw a 4 year old NVidia card in the system (and DDU of course, lol).

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
Offical Ryzen 9 3950x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
x2 Corsair Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
EKWB Acrylic 1080ti FTW Block
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 6 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
Major RANT incoming...

Damnit. This is so sad to see. This right here, is why I still can't recommend AMD Cards to my customers. In a Pinch, when I just need a Video Card for 3 Screen Output or more, if I can't find a reasonably priced 1050 or 1050ti, which has happened quite a bit lately, I will go with an RX 560, and hope to god the newest drivers don't cause problems with the system.

I Love AMD Products, I want to be able to recommend their graphics cards. But outside of the enterprise sector (Where they are the only option for Sharing 1 Card across multiple VDI Sessions, without paying up the nose for licensing, and they have much more stable Drivers for the most part with these cards as well) their Software/Drivers are STILL causing major issues.

I still remember a client, who is a semi-popular streamer wanted a new card for his Son's system, this was at the end of 2018, he had a $200 budget for the card, so I recommended the RX 580, and that recommendation blew up in my face. AMD Released the new 2019 Driver package, and with it stability on that card blew out the window. Crazy things like booting up and having only 1 of 3 monitors work, or having them all have a green tint, or random game crashes that would crash the entire system.

I roll back the drivers to October of that year drivers, and all the sudden, no more problem, Stable as could be. I had his son stay on those drivers for damn near 5 months or so, until I think it was "The Division 2" came out, and his son wanted to play it but it refused to load on the old drivers. So I remoted in and gave permissions back to the AMD Folder that it extracts to to install drivers, and the game worked fine. About a month later new drivers came out, and he called me complaining that it was crashing all the time again. I finally just took the damn card back and gave him a GTX 1060 6GB I had in stock at the time, and now I use that card on one of my Test Benches where I can deal with its issues just by keeping that old 2018 driver installed.

Its good hardware, but CRAPPY, BUGGY, Drivers. They need to focus on that. Maybe start poaching from NVidia's Software team. It wasn't that long ago when the tables were turned and it was NVidia's drivers were crap, but they have since recovered from that, and its been pretty much 5 straight years of smooth sailing for their driver team other than a Security flaw here, or small Driver bug here that always seemed to get fixed within the next day. AMD's problems have been constant for 2 years now, and they were rocky before that.

This new hardware is good, and Big Navi might even end up being bigger. But even being someone who is a fan of their hardware, I might buy it and test it, but I just can't recommend it on the graphics side to customers until they step up and take care of these issues. Stop working on pointless Software "Features" and UI "Upgrades", we want stable drivers that are as reliable as your competitor, so I can comfortably recommend their damn cards to my clients, without having to get constant calls about graphic related issues that disappear the second I throw a 4 year old NVidia card in the system (and DDU of course, lol).
well i wouldnt call nvidia drivers perfect either however they are light years ahead of amd's thats for sure. i had 6 months long problem with nvidia drivers, starting from 400.00, onward, where my 1080ti in desktop would cause stutter issues while dragging icons across display, youtube would stutter, video playing or scrolling up and down, even older games would have horrible frame drops. problem was only on 144hz monitors, luck they fixed it, but i had to go through ticket writing, making video and what not.

ppl are switching from 5700XT to 2070s as well, main reason horrible drivers, even if AMD roll out flag ship that is cheaper and would beat next nvidia flagship, im not sure i would buy it, i dont wanna have driver lottery that works here and not there constantly. we are not beta testers. i imagine its pain in the ass having ppl calling you all the time oh oh its not working anymore, they should learn to switch drivers themselfs as well, i mean if you use pc and want to game on it, maybe its time to learn how to switch drivers as well, i mean thats not ur job, hardware you sold em is not broken, just software for it is not great, and that is not really ur issue or job to fix it. imagine they start calling you for win10 issues as well i mean, xD

Last edited by Zfast4y0u; 02-08-2020 at 03:50 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 12:11 AM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 66 (Unique: 45)
Quote: Originally Posted by Zfast4y0u View Post
well i wouldnt call nvidia drivers perfect either however they are light years ahead of amd's thats for sure. i had 6 months long problem with nvidia drivers, starting from 400.00, onward, where my 1080ti in desktop would cause stutter issues while dragging icons across display, youtube would stutter, video playing or scrolling up and down, even older games would have horrible frame drops. problem was only on 144hz monitors, luck they fixed it, but i had to go through ticket writing, making video and what not.

ppl are switching from 5700XT to 2070s as well, main reason horrible drivers, even if AMD roll out flag ship that is cheaper and would beat next nvidia flagship, im not sure i would buy it, i dont wanna have driver lottery that works here and not there constantly. we are not beta testers. i imagine its pain in the ass having ppl calling you all the time oh oh its not working anymore, they should learn to switch drivers themselfs as well, i mean if you use pc and want to game on it, maybe its time to learn how to switch drivers as well, i mean thats not ur job, hardware you sold em is not broken, just software for it is not great, and that is not really ur issue or job to fix it. imagine they start calling you for win10 issues as well i mean, xD
You are absolutely right! NVidia drivers are FAR from perfect, and in certain scenarios have caused me pain as well, so I probably should have worded that better.

Another Major Rant Incoming, this time I will stick it in a Spoiler in an effort not to take up the entire page, lol.:
Spoiler!

Thanks for a thoughtful response @Zfast4y0u ! I enjoyed reading it!

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
Offical Ryzen 9 3950x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
x2 Corsair Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
EKWB Acrylic 1080ti FTW Block
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 6 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by oreonutz; 02-09-2020 at 12:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Good news

Games aren't crashing

Bad news

Temps still between 85 and 90 degrees at full load

From reading the comments, I gather most 5700XT run very hot. I went to an older driver from early December, as opposed to the latest. I also did a clean install by using DDU. No more crashes or black screens.

However, I'm still in a conundrum. I put a return in to Amazon. I'm not sure if I should go through it. I was going to replace this MSI Mech for either a Sapphire 5700XT or 2060 Super. I don't expect anyone in an AMD forum to recommend the green one. So should I return for the Sapphire Pulse or keep what I have.

It runs very well in terms of performance. I was playing DMC5 and no hiccups at 1080P 144hz. But the temps really concern me. I hate having to go without a video card for a few days, but if it means getting cooler temps, it might be worth it. This goes back to my original question. I don't believe the card is damaged, it's more the drivers and 5700's tendency to run hot. With that known, should I still return. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 03:46 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 186 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by mooch49 View Post
Good news

Games aren't crashing

Bad news

Temps still between 85 and 90 degrees at full load

From reading the comments, I gather most 5700XT run very hot. I went to an older driver from early December, as opposed to the latest. I also did a clean install by using DDU. No more crashes or black screens.

However, I'm still in a conundrum. I put a return in to Amazon. I'm not sure if I should go through it. I was going to replace this MSI Mech for either a Sapphire 5700XT or 2060 Super. I don't expect anyone in an AMD forum to recommend the green one. So should I return for the Sapphire Pulse or keep what I have.

It runs very well in terms of performance. I was playing DMC5 and no hiccups at 1080P 144hz. But the temps really concern me. I hate having to go without a video card for a few days, but if it means getting cooler temps, it might be worth it. This goes back to my original question. I don't believe the card is damaged, it's more the drivers and 5700's tendency to run hot. With that known, should I still return. Thanks.

What temps are between 85-90? If that's the junction temperature than that's fine up to 110c. nVidia cards don't show the junction temperature so you can't really say RDNA runs hotter than nVidia cards. Vega definitely did run hotter.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz w/ .975v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
What temps are between 85-90? If that's the junction temperature than that's fine up to 110c. nVidia cards don't show the junction temperature so you can't really say RDNA runs hotter than nVidia cards. Vega definitely did run hotter.
The card I guess. I'm going by the temps in game from Radeon measurements. Fan runs 3000rpm, gpu load is near 100 percent. This was playing DMC5.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

This is through 15 minutes of playing

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 04:09 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1282 (Unique: 691)
I haven't bought an AMD card for my main rig since the 7870 pretty much because I don't like dealing with AMD's drivers.

Radeon VII was a disaster on launch if you could even find one, Vega was a disaster on launch because it was overpriced due to mining, and Polaris under performed for at least a solid year. At launch the 1060 beat the 580 in most titles and now it's hard to find a game that a 1060 wins in (and in most the 580 destroys the 1060, in RDR2 the 580 is 25% faster).

deal with possibly garbage drivers for ~year or pay the NVIDIA tax, pick your poison

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Audio
Klipsch PowerGate + Schiit Hel
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Dierya DK63-BT 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603 Wireless
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 04:57 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 186 (Unique: 129)
This is through 15 minutes of playing

That is high for that card. What does your case airflow look like? A lot of AMD GPUs are overvotes by quite a bit. See if you can undervolt your card.

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz w/ .975v
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 06:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 705 (Unique: 564)
What is that exactly? I'm new to AMD cards.

Oh. Right-click desktop "AMD Options" or whatever, navigate to "Global Wattman" and set your "power limit" to +5%

Or download MSI Afterburner and use that.

I have to do the latter because I stripped out all that hot garbage AMD bundled with their driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in