Overclock.net banner

Ressurecting r9 295x2

530 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TheMadAsshatter 
#1 ·
So for some backstory, a few months back I purchased a r9 295x2 for pretty cheap. Card was listed as damaged due to water damage and the video card wasn't detected when booting. I asked about how the water damage occurred fearing that it might be the cooler leaking, but lo and behold it was a simple water spill on top of the PC. This further checks out as there was much visible corrosion on the top side of the card, whereas I found none on the core side upon taking the cooler off. Knowing this I thought that I would be able to clean the card off and perhaps get it to work.

I cleaned the card off with some compressed air for the dust and used a toothbrush and some isopropyl alcohol to clean off the corrosion on the back of the card(last photo). Upon reassembling the card and placing it in my PC(2700x, win 10), the card's fans and pumps would fire up as would the lights but the card would not show up in windows or GPU-z. I took the card apart and went back over it with the toothbrush and alcohol but still the same.

I watched this guy's YouTube video on how he fixed his, though he had a seemingly different issue.
I measured the core, and memory resistances, which came to be about the same for both cores. So I don't think the cores are dead? I'm pretty new to this stuff so forgive me for sounding like an idiot.
Long story short I'm not sure how or where to proceed? Any ideas on what to measure/look for or things I should be trying to do?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
1 3
#2 ·
Have you tried an Exorcism?

What ya atta do, look on ebay and there are a number of people selling GPUs in bulk- I bagged 2 Sapphire R9 Fury Nitros for $100 each including shipping. I gave my nephews my new RX 5700 Mech OC and made myself a crossfire fury system (Yes, they give more FPS than the RX 5700 Mech OC, but it seems they don't have the same number of good looking tricks in its bags/features, like that setting that turns the resolution own for the fraction of a second that you have movement on the screen, etc) I get a half chub every time I think it only cost me so little. Bewarned they are HUGE, and require 2 8 pin connectors EACH...Not even kidding I'll run heaven with the Radeon Chill Turned off and it heats my room to somewhat toasty.

Some folks will nix nix buying a mining GPU (I'm assuming the seller was fibbing when s/he stated they were never used for mining) My experience? I wanna buy more and share the love. I'd say they'd be great stocking stuffers but there is no stocking big enough. lol Just BE SURE that if they were used for mining, check to see that the ports and plugs were put back on.

If I were to do it again tho, I saw a bunch of RX 580 Nitro's (the ones with 8gb vram) for like $140 per, shipped) I sound like I'm promoting the sellers goods, Nah. Dont know the guy (actually a little chapped cause he charged me for shipping twice despite they came in one package....) But dude, a steal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.