scratched 4870 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

scratched 4870

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 184 (Unique: 172)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTMaXPoWeR View Post
It's usually the other way around in this house.

Ever since I fried the AGP card on the downstairs computer, my Dad wont trust me with anything electrical.
Thats hilariouse because my dad put the downstairs (Homework) computer in a hutch and i keep telling him its going to overheat. So now 5 months down the road the thing barely runs!

40" Samsung LN40B630 120Hz LCD
PS3 + 360 + PS2
Ipod Touch 3G 64GB + Fii0 E10
Alienware M15x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 248 (Unique: 224)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post
That is why I hate dads who know nothing about tech then try and tell you they know what they are doing. I broke my dad's corporate lappy and he got pissed wouldn't let me touch any computer in the house. Instead he goes out and pays X amount of money to have it "professionally" done. ***? If he lets me do it, I would fix it for cheap and sometimes if it is simple, I don't even charge anything. When I rebuild my step brothers desktop (if I get the money to do so), my dad will get rather pissed since my parents paid for it and now I am going to "break". LOL. Any upgrade is not breaking it. It is making it better where it isn't junk. The damn think is running a Radeon 9600PRO OF ALL THINGS! And the said they spent 500 bucks on it. LOL that is a load of bull and I know it. I can build a PC way better than that for 400!
Let me get this straight. You broke in the first place, so why would he want you to try and fix it?
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 188 (Unique: 146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh81 View Post
I called my dad and asked him if he had a tool for removing stripped screws because he has a bunch of tools ( I was installing a new heatsink to my 4870).. He came home and he took out some huge pliers and took the card out of my hands and started turning the screw with the pliers, I tell him to stop and he pushes me and says "what do you think I am stupid?" and in the process he scratches the card..pretty badly

Now the card gives me a black screen when I boot, and my other card works so I know he broke it.

He goes "So buy another one"

Hopefully Ewiz will give me a replacement fast...I might just get a refund and wait for the 5870's now
ouch.
sorry to hear that man. I know the feeling.
Thankfully my dad is a Computer adept, and an electronics GENIUS. Into everything from PC's to Radio's. Its usually the other way around for me if anything lol (not with PCs, but with other electronics, - FM Radio's for example )

As for your card, I just really believe you would be able to RMA that - they would notice something.
But you can make it less battered looking

If you have a high (enough) definition camera, put up a pic on here of the damaged area, and I'll give you some tips on how to make it look... cleaner

We could also attempt a repair - my guess is that he just cut one of the printed conductor lines, and thats the simplest of repairs.

We'll see what our options are based on the pic.
so.. get it up! ^_^

In a free society, we are supposed to know the truth. In a society where truth becomes an offence, we are in big trouble.

GO TRUTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 257 (Unique: 199)
Should have kicked your dad in the balls. Would've shown him who is the boss of the computer equipment.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 153 (Unique: 121)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh81 View Post
...Hopefully Ewiz will give me a replacement fast...I might just get a refund and wait for the 5870's now
You should probably contact Ewiz and see if they will give you a replacement dad.

...thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif...
For sale: 3Com 24 port switches -- Super-duper-deluxe-pooper cheap

Anyone got any PC100 so-dimms? PM me or check out my "wanted" thread.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 65)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superon View Post
You should probably contact Ewiz and see if they will give you a replacement dad.
Nice one.

The AGP Appreciation Club and Community
Aumotocnic "An unfortunate member of the overclock.net insomnia club"
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superon View Post
HAHAHA, sigged
good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superon go_quote.gif
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 46 (Unique: 44)
My dad is a complete douche sometimes but I know even he would buy me a new video card in a heartbeat if he ever messed one of them up.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 188 (Unique: 146)
My dad & me have a special bond between our computers and working together. We tend to do everything together from putting computers all together or just putting a few parts. Heck, its even fun to work on some cable management with him

Anyways, I hope you get your card fixed
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 129 (Unique: 115)
If your dad broke the card you should stand up for yourself and tell him to pay for it.

biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in