How To: Overclock Your AMD / ATi GPU - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How To: Overclock Your AMD / ATi GPU

post #31 of 648 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 12:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeejunky View Post
Etharon, Thanks very much for the effort you put into that fan guide, I'll frop you a PM about it when I get chance
Yeah, sure. As I only have experience overclocking a 9600, a X1950XTX and this 5870 baby feel free to edit it, correct it and adjust it for other cards. I don't expect it to be perfectly right with any other card, but I think it's indicating how not to reaching boiling temperature by accident while overclocking.
One eye on artifacts, the other on temperature, and a third on power.
That's actually something additionally that should be added. It's easy to make the card consume 50% more energy, and if the power supply is too weak it may go off. Also a card may already be designed so much near maximum cable-capacity that an overclock will maybe not grill your PSU but will make your cables melt away. In the past the cards weren't that power-hungry but today with a 5970 I expect it is a real possibility.

Saludos

Edit: Please don't take my statement about burning the processor literaly, of course we got a lot of security countermeasures in hardware nowadays which prevents the processor from simply bursting out in flames - but a little bit of healthy paranoia is necessary to keep enjoying your hardware for a long time. Try always to approach (any kind of) limit from below, not from above. With every new hardware new unexpected issues arise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 648 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 272 (Unique: 223)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethatron View Post
Fan-Curve guide:
nice

here's my ''custom curve'', ive found these settings work best with my ambients...... this curve keeps the fan speed @ 30-33% while idle & then has quite a steep increase once i start stressing the card

the steep increase actually results in a lower load temp with lower fan speed.....

what a great feature....
LL

Quote:

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about and refuse to investigate"
post #33 of 648 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:57 AM
FOCAL ARIA FTW

Rep: 357 (Unique: 277)
Was it really necessary to quote the whole post??? .

AUDIO: DENON D-2000 -MARK LAWTON & FOCAL ARIA 948 WITH NAD C388 & NAD C568& REGA PLANAR 3 / FOCAL UTOPIA HEADPHONES NEXT / HOME CINEMA : YAMAHA AVENTAGE RX-A860
CARS : BMW M3 CSL E46 / AUDI A4 2018 3.0 TDI MTM tuned (340 HP) / Focus RS MK3 2017 NB - full option (400 HP) / Ford Fiesta Cherry Red - 1.0 Ecoboost @145 HP / Audi Q3 2018 - 1.4 TFSI @ 150 HP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 648 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 05:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post
Was it really necessary to quote the whole post??? .
lol....no, it weren't

i do feel like abusing you for that post, but its Christmas so you can have that dig for free.

Quote:

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about and refuse to investigate"
post #35 of 648 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 05:21 AM
FOCAL ARIA FTW

Rep: 357 (Unique: 277)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunksmash View Post
lol....no, it weren't

i do feel like abusing you for that post, but its Christmas so you can have that dig for free.

Feel free, don't hold that anger . I was scrolling and scrolling and it never ended . That was my point ... it was no axe or chainsaw or anything

AUDIO: DENON D-2000 -MARK LAWTON & FOCAL ARIA 948 WITH NAD C388 & NAD C568& REGA PLANAR 3 / FOCAL UTOPIA HEADPHONES NEXT / HOME CINEMA : YAMAHA AVENTAGE RX-A860
CARS : BMW M3 CSL E46 / AUDI A4 2018 3.0 TDI MTM tuned (340 HP) / Focus RS MK3 2017 NB - full option (400 HP) / Ford Fiesta Cherry Red - 1.0 Ecoboost @145 HP / Audi Q3 2018 - 1.4 TFSI @ 150 HP

post #36 of 648 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 05:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post
Feel free, don't hold that anger . I was scrolling and scrolling and it never ended . That was my point ... it was no axe or chainsaw or anything

luckily ''coffejunky'' edited it so i never had the misfortune of scrolling through the ''fan curve'' guide twice

Quote:

post #37 of 648 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunksmash View Post
here's my ''custom curve'', ive found these settings work best with my ambients...... this curve keeps the fan speed @ 30-33% while idle & then has quite a steep increase once i start stressing the card
the steep increase actually results in a lower load temp with lower fan speed.....
Yes, that's exactly with what you should end up. Steep at the end to protect from the accelerated heat-production, combined with the effect of quickly cooling down the processor when the heat-bump goes away again. The exponential curve helps you to have a quick (and loud) fan for shorter periods of time.

I'm happy with you about your satisfying results!
post #38 of 648 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
Thanks for posting this guide. When ever i oced my GPU the 2d clock would never back down to a reasonable level. But now after using this guide i have my 5870 overclocked in games but when in 2d mode it is back to standard clocks and under volt ed. Thanks

Cheers to the poster
post #39 of 648 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Stock *ahem*

Rep: 307 (Unique: 237)
Question about GPUTool in Win7. Will installing the DX9 runtimes mess stuff up? It needs a dx9 DLL to run the artifact tester.
post #40 of 648 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 776 (Unique: 485)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Reality View Post
Question about GPUTool in Win7. Will installing the DX9 runtimes mess stuff up? It needs a dx9 DLL to run the artifact tester.
DirectX 9 should not be needed as a newer version is already installed. I don't think you can mess anything up by doing what it asks though

bulb.gifCan I Overclock My Brain?... All I Gotta Do Is Increase Its Stock Voltage bulb.gif
cheers.gifBritish Overclockers Club cheers.gif

ATi Clubs and Essential Threads - ATi Aftermarket Cooling Database - ATi Overclocking Guide - ATi Driver Guide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in