Powercolor 5850 PCS+ Thread - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Powercolor 5850 PCS+ Thread

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Retired Benchmark Editor

Rep: 541 (Unique: 253)
Not every single resistor on the card. Just one resistor for each pin. The method is just as risky as the assumptions you made when you penciled your suspected mod points.

I think you should duct a leaf blower onto your air cooler...wait till liek 2am and fire it up for some hardcore OC action ..really piss of the neighbors.. and see if you can F5 your CPU-Z before the cops show up!!
~CL3P20

Do the opposite of what this guy just said if you want the best results you can get
~el gappo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 14)
You think repeatedly soldering round a chip is less risky than laying down some high resistance carbon?

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you. T.S.Elliot, 'The Waste Land', IV

post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Retired Benchmark Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaker View Post
You think repeatedly soldering round a chip is less risky than laying down some high resistance carbon?

I'm talking about doing the same thing you've been doing. Using your pencil to shade one resistor connected to pin at a time. Slowly working your way around the IC, ruling out pins as you go. I never said any thing about solder. I said to 'continue' meaning what you are already doing, shading...

I think you should duct a leaf blower onto your air cooler...wait till liek 2am and fire it up for some hardcore OC action ..really piss of the neighbors.. and see if you can F5 your CPU-Z before the cops show up!!
~CL3P20

Do the opposite of what this guy just said if you want the best results you can get
~el gappo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Shading resistors directly probably wont help (though I tried some likely candidates), you have to find a direct connection to ground, non of the connections to ground worked.

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you. T.S.Elliot, 'The Waste Land', IV

post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Retired Benchmark Editor

For each resistor, one side will be ground.

~CL3P20

~el gappo

post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaMan View Post
For each resistor, one side will be ground.
Resistors do not all lead to ground. Far from it most don't.

post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 05:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
eventually the bios given cannot be flashed into my card...i flashed it shows success but couldnt boot at the next restart..gotta flash back to my original bios...

thankfully can revert back to ori bios
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 153 (Unique: 125)
Sorry for bumping an old thread - but it is relevant.

uPI Semiconductor Corp now list the spec sheet for the up6219 buck controller used on the PCS+ 5850's - it can be found HERE.

It shows that:
up6219A = Pin#6 = FB
up6219B = Pin#7 = FB

I have no previous experience with hardware modding GPUs, so I need a few pointers as to what needs to be done to increase voltage.

Please let me know if this is correct:
  1. you need to increase the resistance on the FB pin?
  2. to do that you add specific sized resistors between the FB pin and ground

I've got a pretty decent multimeter that I can use to check resistance, but what I am struggling with is how do I calculate the size of the resistor to use to reach a specific core voltage?

Please let me know what readings are needed to calculate the resistor to be used and I'll post them for you.

Thanks.

Edit: Basically I have just purchased a couple of these PowerColor PCS+ 5850 cards for my BOINC rig and need to increase voltage in the hope of achieving a core freq of 1000.

At the moment, with stock voltage the card is only BOINC stable at 900 core - stock voltage is 1.18 according to BIOS (and bios changes or different firmware doesn't change the voltage).
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Retired Benchmark Editor

You are actually lowering the resistance with FB.

Measure the resistance between ground and FB. I use the DVI/vGA bracket as ground. Any ground on the card works though.

Multiply the currant resistance of FB by 20 and use a variable resistor(potentiometer) this size. Example: FB = 2KOhms, 2 x 20 = 40KOhms.

You'll want to remove one of the outer legs of the VR and make sure the VR is tuned to it's maximum resistance before applying the mod.

~CL3P20

~el gappo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in